The 60 and over Thread

Good stuff. Only thing I do differently is instead of "smoothe" I use"swing tempo".

I have found that using the correct swing tempo, coupled with a one piece take away, takes care of balance, timing, and other items involved in the swing.

Swinging faster than your body can control creates poor ball flights.

I stoled a phraise from the Tin Cup movie. "Dollar Bills". Dollar on the back swing, and Bills for the down swing. Just thinking those two words to myself, helps to keep me in my proper swing tempo.
I think smooth also, and hope it gets to my swing. I think I have my flying elbow again, need to keep right elbow tucked. Driving range, and work on that, back and time permitting.

Getting a steroid injection in my lower back on Tuesday. The last one worked for 8 months. Will be back in action soon.

Getting a steroid injection in my lower back on Tuesday. The last one worked for 8 months. Will be back in action soon.
I had my second injection about 2 months a go. First one last about a year, second one didn't work as well. Still helped and as you say back in action.

Going to regrip an old driver, and put a new jumbo grip on my putter this weekend. Getting ready for Monday, have a 8 am tee time. Courses around here are too busy during the weekends, I only play during the week.
One of the many benefits of retirement. You can play any day you want.

One of the many benefits of retirement. You can play any day you want.

When I retired in a few years I am going to make it a point to play every Monday! Just because!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My next door neighbour moved in, when he retired from work. He told me he only golfs Monday-thursday (senior rates) and mows his lawn only on Fridays. No more golfing or mowing on weekends.

for those with a bit of back pain due to golf - try this with your driver - lengthen the shaft to 48" -- practice and practice with it till your tempo slows down -- just let it do all the impact not your back. I did this a few years ago and now a 48" driver is just sweet to take back slow and swing effortlessly. - some of my playing partners have termed it " Effortless Power" -
I have seen a lot of older players still trying to hit the crap out of a driver and only the driver so this helps. It is odd with the irons and fairways a lot of older players dont try to kill those clubs --and then they try to smash driver so hard even my back hurts watching them. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

I thought 2021 would be better than 2020, but I was wrong. After all the hassle of covid and lockdown , I finished 2020 with an ICD being installed in my chest. It was put in early |December, and I thought I would be playing again by mid January. Lockdown stopped that, but by end of May I had moved house and had a round at my new club. All was looking good.....rounds at top courses were booked for early June through to September.

On May 30th, the monitoring unit for my ICD called. My heart rate had reached 200 , the ICD kicked in and brought it back to normal less than eight seconds after starting. The box saved my life and I never felt a thing. I thought the call was from the local Indian restaurant who were late delivering my food. I had no knowledge that this had happened.

Now the bad news. I am not allowed to drive for six months. I can walk to my club, but I have had to cancel a number of rounds on excellent courses and not meet up with friends.

:banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead::banghead:
:surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender::surrender:
:at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end::at-wits-end:

I used to get the injections (as well as nerve ablations) on a periodic basis in the Lumbar region. Have not had one since Dec 2019. Weight loss and core exercise (as well as other exercise, have made an incredible difference. Not saying it's for you to explore - it may be worth considering.

I used to get the injections (as well as nerve ablations) on a periodic basis in the Lumbar region. Have not had one since Dec 2019. Weight loss and core exercise (as well as other exercise, have made an incredible difference. Not saying it's for you to explore - it may be worth considering.
I workout 5 to 6 days a week including core exercises. Thanks!

As I've gotten older, the things we used to talk about now always includes some kind of body/medical issue, lol.

At least we are all still typing and looking down at the grass and not up at the roots.

Remember back when we use to talk about girls and beer? :D

As I've gotten older, the things we used to talk about now always includes some kind of body/medical issue, lol.

At least we are all still typing and looking down at the grass and not up at the roots.
When I was younger I noted that about old folks and vowed never to be that guy. Still clinging to that commitment.

Speaking of medical talk. The wife and I got the second Pfizer shot an hour ago. Gonna celebrate with 9 holes at 6.

We use to talk about the women we have been with, now it's the next doctors appointment

As I get older I've realized that I have become what I once despised.

We went to visit some friends up in Hot Springs Village and played the DeSoto course on Saturday. I swear HSV is golfer's heaven for retirees! They have 8 courses if you include Diamante Country Club. Of the 7 "public" courses, one is an executive course, I think par 62, one has three nines (Isabella) and each is more beautiful than the next. The guys the two of us got paired with could not have been nicer. They were brothers and the younger of the two who has been there a few years now, was telling us they have groups of all types, for good golfers, duffers, 9 holes, 18 holes, women's groups. If that is something to your liking they have groups of every type. He also said he has yet to run into what he referred to as a "snooty" golfer, even among the best of players. Nobody looks down their nose at anyone of lesser capability. They were a good example as my friend has not played in many years and is just taking the game back up. I can't count the number of shots he topped and received nothing but patience and encouragement from the two brothers.

As I understand it, resident rates run about $32 dollars with a break even point versus a season pass, including cart, being at 100 rounds.

Edited to add a correction, 9 courses if you include Diamante CC which is private.

Last edited:
I understand the HSV online tee time booking system is pretty sophisticated too. You can book at any of the courses and what you see is the tee sheet itself so you can book at a less crowded time, for example. Also shown is the number of players booked for each time and you also see the sex of each player so as a single or twosome you can choose whether to join other men, women or couples.

We went to visit some friends up in Hot Springs Village and played the DeSoto course on Saturday. I swear HSV is golfer's heaven for retirees! They have 8 courses if you include Diamante Country Club. Of the 7 "public" courses, one is an executive course, I think par 62, one has three nines (Isabella) and each is more beautiful than the next. The guys the two of us got paired with could not have been nicer. They were brothers and the younger of the two who has been there a few years now, was telling us they have groups of all types, for good golfers, duffers, 9 holes, 18 holes, women's groups. If that is something to your liking they have groups of every type. He also said he has yet to run into what he referred to as a "snooty" golfer, even among the best of players. Nobody looks down their nose at anyone of lesser capability. They were a good example as my friend has not played in many years and is just taking the game back up. I can't count the number of shots he topped and received nothing but patience and encouragement from the two brothers.

As I understand it, resident rates run about $32 dollars with a break even point versus a season pass, including cart, being at 100 rounds.
I winter down in Hot Springs Village and live on the Desoto course overlooking the 6th green. If your friend ever needs someone to play with I'd more than happy to play with him. As a property owner I actually only pay $12.00 walking 18 After two o'clock:love: winter rates.
I been going there for the last 9 years and have made many acquaintances that I play with now. Love playing Isabella but not allowed to walk.

Ha, what is your pain reliever of choice? After 18 holes it is usually two Aleve for me. What do you use if at all?

When I retired in a few years I am going to make it a point to play every Monday! Just because!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I play on Tuesdays and sometimes Thursdays for the same reason...to play when others aren't ;).

Back