The 60 and over Thread

Has anyone adapted the senior swing where you drop back your trail foot and basically use arm/hand rotation to square up the club? Based on some YT research, it may work out better on the driver and long irons. Due to a bad back, lead shoulder and trail knee, I am looking for some set up cheats to gain some range of motion.

Has anyone adapted the senior swing where you drop back your trail foot and basically use arm/hand rotation to square up the club? Based on some YT research, it may work out better on the driver and long irons. Due to a bad back, lead shoulder and trail knee, I am looking for some set up cheats to gain some range of motion.
I don't know if I am doing exactly what you are referring to, but I often set up closed with the driver, somewhat dropping back my right, back foot. I think it helps me get a better turn going back. However, I currently do not sense that my swing has become arm/hand focused, though.

I don't know if I am doing exactly what you are referring to, but I often set up closed with the driver, somewhat dropping back my right, back foot. I think it helps me get a better turn going back. However, I currently do not sense that my swing has become arm/hand focused, though.
Thanks, Phil. Good to know. Here's one of the videos I was referring to. It's a bit drawn out. It is more arms and hands focused on the downswing. The idea is to get a full turn going back with a closed stance.

Thanks, Phil. Good to know. Here's one of the videos I was referring to. It's a bit drawn out. It is more arms and hands focused on the downswing. The idea is to get a full turn going back with a closed stance.

Eric's principles are sound, but they are also in my mind incomplete.

Everyone focuses on lack of flexibility, but almost no one talks about balance or vertical pressure issues. In general, balance issues are epidemic in the recreational golfer, and as all basketball players say of age, the first thing you lose is your hops.

The fact is if you start out with balance issues and lack of or misplaced pressure under the feet issues and make the adjustments Eric suggested those things get worse.

Senior golfers with these typical issues would do better if they FIRST addressed their balance and weight transfer/pressure under the feet issues AND THEN worked on making the adjustments Eric suggested while continuing to focus on refining their balance and weight transfer/pressure with the new setup.

I wish I knew how to get proper weight transfer. Heck, I'm not sure if I even know what that means.

Everyone focuses on lack of flexibility, but almost no one talks about balance or vertical pressure issues. In general, balance issues are epidemic in the recreational golfer, and as all basketball players say of age, the first thing you lose is your hops.

The fact is if you start out with balance issues and lack of or misplaced pressure under the feet issues and make the adjustments Eric suggested those things get worse.

Senior golfers with these typical issues would do better if they FIRST addressed their balance and weight transfer/pressure under the feet issues AND THEN worked on making the adjustments Eric suggested while continuing to focus on refining their balance and weight transfer/pressure with the new setup.
What would be the symptoms of these issues in ball contact or ball flight? Anything to look for in swing videos?

It’s 50* here right now. I’m going to the range to try and work on some things.

I wish I knew how to get proper weight transfer. Heck, I'm not sure if I even know what that means.
Hold a bucket in your hands while in your address position. Imagine there’s a table on either side of you.
Then turn as if you’re going to place it atop the table to your right. Once you’re there, turn your body as if you’re then going to put it on the one to the left of you,
That’s the feel you want to have.

Good point, as senior and serious golfers - we take balance for granted and get sloppy in our set-up. I do! I think we're searching for an improved move and forget about the basics like posture and weight distribution as you said.

I'll have to give that a try, right now my swing is too steep. But have to use that in order to swing the club, slow and steady. Tempo is very important. gst too fast or too hard and swing is lost.

When I started playing again just over a year ago I was aware of just how much flexibility and distance I had lost. Plus, what I was doing 15 years ago was not cool anymore. Coiling on the right leg which causes movement off the ball, so I had to learn to turn again. Looking at the video of where I was until where I am now, I am actually getting the club closer to parallel than I thought. I’m about 30* short. What I need to do now in keep working on flexibility and balance, so as no to lose any of it, and build core strength to gain speed. I did order the super speed sr kit and the goal is to see if I can get back to 90 mph swing speed. Sub goal is to not lose any swing speed over the winter.

I signed up for TPI training, but I had to stop it since I did not have time or space to do the workouts. I am doing some yoga moves to increase flexibility in my mid back and hips. I also do some strength exercises with my arms and shoulders. I’ll start adding more as golf winds down. Will be time to work on core and speed.

Where I was:

View attachment RPReplay_Final1700229044.mov
Where I am:

View attachment RPReplay_Final1700589917.mov

Attachments

• RPReplay_Final1700589917.mov
    10.6 MB
What would be the symptoms of these issues in ball contact or ball flight? Anything to look for in swing videos?
Balance issues lead to inconsistent contact. Generally speaking, if you have too much weight on your back foot approaching impact the tendency is for the club to bottom out behind the ball. If the clubhead digs in you have a fat shot. If it bounces off the ground, you are likely to top it. Using the same principle, if your weight is too far out on your toes approaching impact the clubhead could bottom out behind the ball or extend the clubhead too far causing a hosel rocket. Weight back on your heels a toe-side strike.

In reality, figuring the effect is more complex than this. Our body has a basic survival instinct. So, imbalances often trigger a reaction. Weight over the toes often causes the upper body to stand up to compensate. Given enough movement instead of hitting a hosel rocket you might top the ball. The upper movement might also alter the swing plane making it more steep leading to a fat toe-side hit. So the effects and reactions are very interactive and variable.

The same complexities exist for variations in pressure under the feet at various points in the swing.

In practice, it is much easier for an instructor to just watch a student take a few swings because you can see the balance issues and compensation tendencies of that particular student and then work to correct them.

With my back becoming more problematic I'm going to have to slow everything down. I'm heading out to the range a little later to practice on the sim. I'm going to try and swing less aggressive. It ain't as easy you would think. Old habits creep up and I swing harder than I should. I'm gonna try and discipline myself to swing easier on every shot.

I might not play on the course until I'm comfortable I can achieve that for a whole round. Golf around these parts is year round. Mornings get foggy and damp but it doesn't snow here. Its in the 30's during the mornings but gets to the 60's and sunny when its not raining. And we don't even get a lot of that.

With my back becoming more problematic I'm going to have to slow everything down. I'm heading out to the range a little later to practice on the sim. I'm going to try and swing less aggressive. It ain't as easy you would think. Old habits creep up and I swing harder than I should. I'm gonna try and discipline myself to swing easier on every shot.

I might not play on the course until I'm comfortable I can achieve that for a whole round. Golf around these parts is year round. Mornings get foggy and damp but it doesn't snow here. Its in the 30's during the mornings but gets to the 60's and sunny when its not raining. And we don't even get a lot of that.
I had a lesson recently and the pro, who teaches all levels of golfers, was emphatic about tempo and that everyone has a "speed limit". On reflection I understand him completely - how many mid HC and above golfers can consistently swing the club in a smooth circle around them, make center contact, and go to a full, balanced finish?
When I try to do that on the range starting with the ball teed up and working down to bare dirt lies it quickly reveals where I am with ball striking. If I can do all of that to about 70% success with a 4 iron then that day at least I know I can hit just about any shot.

I hear you. My fault is squeezing the grip hard on the downswing. If I try to not do that, I get too soft and feel out of control. What seems simple, isn't.

I really focused on using this closed stance today with every club in the bag, even before looking at the video (which I've only gone about halfway through). My contact with the irons improved and distances with those clubs was even somewhat surprising given the cold temperatures I played in this morning. In addition to the stance, I also try to flatten the swing as opposed to coming in steep. The combination is a winner for me!

I really focused on using this closed stance today with every club in the bag, even before looking at the video (which I've only gone about halfway through). My contact with the irons improved and distances with those clubs was even somewhat surprising given the cold temperatures I played in this morning. In addition to the stance, I also try to flatten the swing as opposed to coming in steep. The combination is a winner for me!

That is great! Did you just swing your swing on the downswing, try to release it or use a lower body move?

I was thinking of doing the arm/hands rotation (not sure about early extension) as a pre-swing feel as prescribed in the video and then step up, with the closed stance and just swing.

A flat swing is helpful to me too. In one of my lessons, it was suggested that I back up a touch when addressing the ball to flatten the swing.

Understand all in video. One question: Is club face square to target with this setup? Thanks!

If only I could find a simple golf swing. *Sigh*
I started with a simple rotational swing with no weight shift. As a stroke survivor balance was a huge issue so eliminating weight shift helped with the balance issues.
I can get 20% more distance with weight shift but being able to swing a club while balanced throughout the swing is incredibly useful.
So is being able to gain distance like that. Or not.
For most of the summer I had issues feeling in the bottom of my right foot so I played without any weight shift. One of the lingering effects of having a stroke 25 yrs ago. But, I not only played, I learned a ton of new things this year. Had my first birdies as the season wound down!

Understand all in video. One question: Is club face square to target with this setup? Thanks!

Good question. I am not sure. The pro advises a draw swing. So, I suspect a straight-ahead club face and path is in to out.

The guy at the starter's booth said that most beginners hit it hard but slice the ball.
I learned to hit the ball straight. I started by using a 7 iron and foam balls to hit a big maple tree in the center of my back yard.
I may not have as much distance but it is a lot of fun being able to hit my 4 iron down the middle of the fairway and hit an approach shot that is close or on a tiny little green.
After three years of practice I can hit a small bucket of balls with my 60* wedge in my back yard and find most of them.

That is great! Did you just swing your swing on the downswing, try to release it or use a lower body move?

I was thinking of doing the arm/hands rotation (not sure about early extension) as a pre-swing feel as prescribed in the video and then step up, with the closed stance and just swing.

A flat swing is helpful to me too. In one of my lessons, it was suggested that I back up a touch when addressing the ball to flatten the swing.
I just put my normal swing on it! However, golf is a strange game. What works one day, doesn't work the next. It was colder today, and, as a result, I got a little bit quicker, hitting a lot of pulls and hooks. I think that quickness led to more of an over the top move. I need to focus on making sure I don't just set up closed, but fully turn in the back swing.

The guy at the starter's booth said that most beginners hit it hard but slice the ball.
I learned to hit the ball straight. I started by using a 7 iron and foam balls to hit a big maple tree in the center of my back yard.
I may not have as much distance but it is a lot of fun being able to hit my 4 iron down the middle of the fairway and hit an approach shot that is close or on a tiny little green.
After three years of practice I can hit a small bucket of balls with my 60* wedge in my back yard and find most of them.
I think I was more of an anomaly. When I started, as expected it was all over the place. But as the months went by I developed a hook. One that caused a lot of trouble because most holes on the courses I played were not so forgiving when you miss to far left. It got so bad that I started teeing off with a 3 iron and aiming right. To this day I'd estimate 80 percent of my misses are to the left.

Back