The 60 and over Thread

SC Lefty - Great advice! When I returned to the game in 2019 after a 10-year layoff, I decided to change my swing to one which was more upright and advertised (by a famous teacher) as being easy on the back and therefore perfect for senior golfers. the change never worked for me and I have gone back to the swing I was taught years ago, which some modifications based on Eric Cogorno's senior masterclass (the mechanics Eric advocates are really close to those I was taught in my 30's with some minor enhancements which reflect my reduced flexibility).

I AM looking to maximize the driver distance I can get with "my swing" and recently switched to a Distanza shaft (40 gms versus 55 gms for my Alta CB) in my driver which has helped and plan to work on Eric's arm speed for seniors drills as well.

Just a quick tip so we're communicating. There is no national standard for tee colors. Where I live the tips are commonly gold, black, or blue depending on the course. Tees one up or two up from the tips are even more scrambled colorwise. So, it makes it more clear if you refer to the tees relative to the tips.

This is exactly right. You have to know what yardage you are comfortable playing, and choosing the appropriate tees! The color of them is course dependent! And some courses don't use colors at all. I've played at several courses where the tees are labeled "Position 1" (the pros), to Position 5 (the ladies).

Played 9 holes today, good day. Hit the ball crisp, putted well. 1 par and a bunch of bogeys, but I see improvement in my game.

So I just aborted an attempt at a swing overhaul. My game suffered because of it. Instead of playing golf I was playing golf swing. I went back to my old swing now and my game is on point again
I started this thread to have a place for us older guys to talk about our games without having to read the 280 yard 3 wood stories so popular on the internet. 🙄 Somewhere I lost my way though, and I tried to chase distance.
At my age and SS, nothing drastic is going to change there though, no matter how pretty the swing looks. What I found out is Arnie was right. Swing your swing. Especially when you’re over 60.
We aren’t going to suddenly start bombing the ball. Working your a** off to try and gain a few yards? Buy a lighter shaft, it’s easier. Fine tune your short game. Hope your body feels good that day. Play smart, avoid the big mistakes and play the right tees. Make a couple of long putts or stick some wedges, you can still score.
Dont waste time on remaking your swing though, it’s fools gold. For every older golfer over 60 who finds “that gold” at the end of the rainbow, there are a hundred throwing their time and money down the drain on the lesson tee. Get out and play, and enjoy the good days. Have a beer and forget the bad ones.
Decided to do this, this year. Game has actually improved.

If I may add? The other thing that is making my golf more enjoyable is to also add stretching and strength training (Body weight) into my daily life. For some reason, I seem to get older, every day I wake up.

I am in the third year of overhauling, and it results in streaky golf. But I see improvement. It's an energy thing. When I swing with effort, I get good results. But I will hit a few shots incorrectly and lose confidence, the swing slows down, ball no go far. Then it's back to basics at the range again. Attempting to get to playing golf and not golf swing. Have a decent short game, so that helps. Trying to find that elusive putter in which I have complete confidence.

9-hole golf league last night. I shot an 11-over 47 which is one stroke better than my course handicap. Shot quality-wise it was pretty mixed as I had several short iron approach shots which I pulled; (i) a short par 5 with a 9-iron into a greenside bunker and (ii) a short par 4 into an unplayable lie, both resulting in two of my three double bogies of the night. Additionally, my putting was mediocre taking 17 putts, including a 3 putt which resulted in my third double bogie. My drives and shots from <= 60 yards were really solid, but unfortunately I didn't convert do to my poor putting.

I have aggravated the tennis elbow in my right arm (again), so its tough to practice full swing or play more than 9-holes per week at this point, practicing will have to be light, but I should be able to work on my putting (and have "Instinct Putting" on the way) and partial shots.

Last edited:
Tip for us over 60: As we get older losing flexibility usually accompanies us. However, I recently discovered I wasn't turning back with the hips anywhere near as far as I could. Hip and shoulder turn back and through are massive levers for swing speed and thus distance. I'm back to hitting it much farther and with less effort. Check your hip and shoulder turn to make sure you are turning as far as you are capable.

I hear you. And I have resigned myself to playing with the swing I have. That being said though, I did just start using the SuperSpeed system to see if I can squeeze out a few more yards without changing my swing.
Do yourself a favor, look into driver shafts in the 40g range. Senior or 5.0 flex. Those Evenflow shafts play stiff to flex, hoping you’re not in a 5.5?
I’ve been waiting for what seems like forever on a G425 Max driver w/Distanza shaft. In the interim my club pro has been letting me use an Epic Max with a 5.0 Cypher shaft which is similar. It’s been really good. I’ve thought about canceling the Ping order, but then I go hit it again and realize it’s going to be worth the wait. Just a perfect match for me.

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor, look into driver shafts in the 40g range. Senior or 5.0 flex. Those Evenflow shafts play stiff to flex, hoping you’re not in a 5.5?
I’ve been waiting for what seems like forever on a G425 Max driver w/Distanza shaft. In the interim my club pro has been letting me use an Epic Max with a 5.0 Cypher shaft which is similar. It’s been really good. I’ve thought about canceling the Ping order, but then I go hit it again and realize it’s going to be worth the wait. Just a perfect match for me.

I find Epic Speed easier, but then I don't think G425 is much better than G400Max. Ping seems off its game on getting a driver that is substantially better than the G400 Series. Sound is worse, that is certain. From what I can tell, the Ping Fwys are better but not fantastically long - they are not Epic Speed like. But they did attempt to innovate ... finally. They are slow on tech, I believe, in comparison. Must have been the brain drain to PXG.

A few weeks ago, I picked up a Distanza shaft for my G400 driver (lightly used on eBay for about $100) and swapped it for the Alta CB regular flex. This was a good move as I have definitely picked up distance. My Mavrik Max fairway woods all have the Even Flow Riptide 5.5, which I like a lot, and I wouldn't mind trying the Riptide CB at 40 grams and 5.0 flex on the G400.

I put A UST Mamiya comp 65 r flex with adapter in my driver, if it ever cools down. I will go to range to try it out.

Riptide CB at 40 grams and 5.0 flex on the G400.
I've got that exact shaft in my PXG 0811X+ Prototype driver. So far I'm really liking it. I'm anxious to see what adding/subtracting/moving weights around can add to it.

My current driver has a Evenflow Blue at 5.5. But the next driver I buy will be at senior flex.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MG SENIOR BALL ...

I have been using the ball for the last couple of weeks. The ball off the tee is giving me 10-15 yards more on average. This is true for all of the clubs for me. The ball is hard like a Top Flite ball. Around the greens it jumps off the club face on a chip shot and same for a putter. I actually liked that. Will I continue to use the ball? Yes. Put me in the camp that distance does matter. Especially for an old golfer like me. I have shaved 3 to 5 strokes off my prior average scores using the ball from the forward tees. I have no qualms playing the ball and would not in a tournament or any other competitive situation.

Good Golfing ...

I was golfing a late 9 Monday night and was paired up with three gals. We were at number 4 and one of the gals asked me if I had a spare lefty putter I wanted to sell. She has a 12 year old grand daughter who is getting into golf. Of course, I have extra putters, don't we all.

We set a date and she came to my place the next day with the 12 year old. They showed up. The young gal got her putter but I wouldn't take any money for it. (Gotta support young people golfing) The lady produced a nice bottle of red and inside was a beautiful card made by the Granaughter. She texted me after, the young girl has some psych problems and has taken to golf in a big way. I'm not a big softy, but that made me feel pretty good.

I was golfing a late 9 Monday night and was paired up with three gals. We were at number 4 and one of the gals asked me if I had a spare lefty putter I wanted to sell. She has a 12 year old grand daughter who is getting into golf. Of course, I have extra putters, don't we all.

We set a date and she came to my place the next day with the 12 year old. They showed up. The young gal got her putter but I wouldn't take any money for it. (Gotta support young people golfing) The lady produced a nice bottle of red and inside was a beautiful card made by the Granaughter. She texted me after, the young girl has some psych problems and has taken to golf in a big way. I'm not a big softy, but that made me feel pretty good.

Well done sir.....well done !

Played 9 today, started out okay. Did very well in the middle even had a par to go with the bogies, hit some good shots and then the wheels feel off. Couldn't do much right, very frustrating. Try again on Wednesday at home course.

Very nice.

I guess we all have the opportunities and choice of being remembered as the grumpy old SOB or the nice elderly person in the eyes of others.

I was out hitting balls in my yard the other day when some kids rode their bikes into my yard. I was just on the other side of a pine tree like 20' away and guess they hadn't seen me. The one kids says to his friends "see, there all over the place" like he'd been there before and all three start picking up golf balls and stuffing them into their pockets.
I stepped out from behind the tree and asked "so you're the ones who have been stealing all my golf balls". Without missing a beat the first kids says, "Oh, um yeah. Is it ok if we have some".
I had to laugh at how calm he remained while the other two looked a little scared. I told them they could take a bunch but would appreciate it if they left a few and if they'd ask next time. I told them the balls were ones I'd found on the course so they hadn't cost me anything.

The point is, I could have been the "get off my lawn" type of old guy (literally) but after all, they were used golf balls and if it gets the kids involved with golf then even better. Hopefully, I don't come home one day to find all my tools missing from the garage. Lol.

The point is, I could have been the "get off my lawn" type of old guy (literally) but after all, they were used golf balls and if it gets the kids involved with golf then even better. Hopefully, I don't come home one day to find all my tools missing from the garage. Lol.
The cynic in me thinks those kids will be bagging and selling those rather than using them for themselves. :LOL:

The cynic in me thinks those kids will be bagging and selling those rather than using them for themselves. :LOL:
Rather they did that then what some delinquents up here where doing, dropping golf balls off the overpass on I95 at cars. 🤬

Very nice.

I guess we all have the opportunities and choice of being remembered as the grumpy old SOB or the nice elderly person in the eyes of others.

I was out hitting balls in my yard the other day when some kids rode their bikes into my yard. I was just on the other side of a pine tree like 20' away and guess they hadn't seen me. The one kids says to his friends "see, there all over the place" like he'd been there before and all three start picking up golf balls and stuffing them into their pockets.
I stepped out from behind the tree and asked "so you're the ones who have been stealing all my golf balls". Without missing a beat the first kids says, "Oh, um yeah. Is it ok if we have some".
I had to laugh at how calm he remained while the other two looked a little scared. I told them they could take a bunch but would appreciate it if they left a few and if they'd ask next time. I told them the balls were ones I'd found on the course so they hadn't cost me anything.

I'd also tell 'em to ask me the next time they feel the need to take some of my golf balls. Would not be preachy but I'd make sure they understood they stole another's property and get right because stealing is a bad road to go down with bad consequences ...

Good Golfing

Last edited:
I'd also tell 'em to ask me the next time they feel the need to take some of my golf balls. Would not be preachy but I'd make sure they understood they stole another's property and get right because stealing is a bad road to go down with bad consequences ...

Good Golfing
Ask permission first is pretty much what I told them. I agree, the message shouldn't be "just help yourself to my property". If I had paid for the golf balls the conversation would have been different. I asked when I joined the my local course if I could take the lost golf balls out of the marshes around the course. Since I hadn't paid for the balls, it wasn't a big deal. Plus, I have two acres and the balls were close to the road which is actually easement. If they had come up around my house and garage, that also would have involved another conversation.

I've asked kids if they thought their parents would be ok with someone doing what they were doing to me (in that case, playing paintball around my vehicles). I asked them in a calm and respectful demeanor instead of being confrontational. They're kids not hardened criminals. They just don't think sometimes and when you have a conversation about it they tend to respond a bit more reasonably.

So I went to demo the T300 irons yesterday, and they were really nice, but…. I also demoed the new Cleveland XL Halo Launcher, which were just short of amazing!
Ive been thinking about a set of hybrid style irons for a while, and Cleveland seems to be the leader in this category, but I never thought I’d like them as much as I did, nor did I ever imagine actually bagging a set.
It’s hard to imagine two irons in the same category (SGI) as different as the Rogue X I’ve been playing and the Launchers. One is a pure distance iron, the other is high launching and super forgiving.
I guess the only benefit of my decreasing swing speed is that I saw very little difference in distance between the two on the monitor, but the Launchers were like shooting darts. High, straight darts. I don’t think I’ll be able to do anything else trajectory wise with them, but man, that forgiveness! I actually tried to hit a few bad shots, but wasn’t very successfu. 😜
Long story short, after getting a great discount, I placed an order today for a set, 4-PW with Cypher graphite shafts. Will they be the irons that finally kick the Rogue X out of my bag? I don’t know, but I think they’ll be a lot of fun to play while I try to decide.
Stay tuned for updates when they arrive…

Last edited:
SC Lefty - Great advice! When I returned to the game in 2019 after a 10-year layoff, I decided to change my swing to one which was more upright and advertised (by a famous teacher) as being easy on the back and therefore perfect for senior golfers. the change never worked for me and I have gone back to the swing I was taught years ago, which some modifications based on Eric Cogorno's senior masterclass (the mechanics Eric advocates are really close to those I was taught in my 30's with some minor enhancements which reflect my reduced flexibility).

I AM looking to maximize the driver distance I can get with "my swing" and recently switched to a Distanza shaft (40 gms versus 55 gms for my Alta CB) in my driver which has helped and plan to work on Eric's arm speed for seniors drills as well.
I looked everywhere for an Alta Distanza 40g for my Ping G400. I couldn't find one anywhere. In the meantime I demoed a Callaway Epic Speed with a Project X Cypher 40g 5.0. It was a 9*, but it played really well. So I looked for a 10.5 model with that shaft. I found one and ordered it yesterday.

Back