The 60 and over Thread

First time I had one removed it was at the corner of my nose next to my right nostril. I’m not trying to gross anyone out but they took out a piece the size of a baby shrimp. 🙄
Thank goodness for my sister. I was going to have it done by a local dermatologist but she knows a plastic surgeon up on Long Island and she told me to have him do it.
The scar is so small nobody notices it, and he told me if I had it done down here, I would’ve needed to see him anyway for reconstruction, because they would’ve cut off the corner of my nose.
Since then I’ve had the same type of basal melanoma surgically removed from each shoulder, and under my eye on my cheekbone. I also had pre cancerous discoloring(?) along my hairline removed with frozen nitrogen.
I’m Italian, and not really fair skinned, but like most guys our age, never protected myself from the sun when I was young, in fact I tried to get as tan as possible.🙄
For those like me, the damage was done years ago. The only thing to do is be vigilant, keep checking for irregularities, and listen to what I said about the plastic surgeon. They won’t charge any more than a normal doctor, and you wilol have minimal scarring.

I wear a Boonie hat for golf and bass fishing ... the doc also reminded me to take good care for your eyes too ... in some ways way more important ...

First time I had one removed it was at the corner of my nose next to my right nostril. I’m not trying to gross anyone out but they took out a piece the size of a baby shrimp. 🙄
Thank goodness for my sister. I was going to have it done by a local dermatologist but she knows a plastic surgeon up on Long Island and she told me to have him do it.
The scar is so small nobody notices it, and he told me if I had it done down here, I would’ve needed to see him anyway for reconstruction, because they would’ve cut off the corner of my nose.
Since then I’ve had the same type of basal melanoma surgically removed from each shoulder, and under my eye on my cheekbone. I also had pre cancerous discoloring(?) along my hairline removed with frozen nitrogen.
I’m Italian, and not really fair skinned, but like most guys our age, never protected myself from the sun when I was young, in fact I tried to get as tan as possible.🙄
For those like me, the damage was done years ago. The only thing to do is be vigilant, keep checking for irregularities, and listen to what I said about the plastic surgeon. They won’t charge any more than a normal doctor, and you wilol have minimal scarring.

My most recent Mohs (2 years ago) was on the left side of my neck. The surgeon (who is great BTW) left an open wound about the size of a quarter which took 2-3 weeks to close and heal. Like you, the scar is minimal. My heritage is Irish and English so extremely fair skinned. I've had lots of these things removed by non-Mohs proceedures.

I’ve had MOHS on my nose. I try to wear a wide brim hat when playing on sunny days.

I wear a Boonie hat for golf and bass fishing ... the doc also reminded me to take good care for your eyes too ... in some ways way more important ...

I went from hating bucket hats and wide brim hats to wearing them most of the time on the course. As much as I love my ball caps they don’t protect my head and neck very well from the sun. So I am willing to wear a goofy looking brim if it will protect me.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I think I'm done with driving ranges. Yesterday I noticed no balls past the 200 yd stake which means they've gone to limited flight balls. I thought something felt funny. The balls felt like hitting concrete. Two of the ranges I'd go to have gone to them. Combine this with hitting off mats left me with a pair of hurting hands. I could hardly hold the steering wheel. Note: I have graphite shafts, CP2 grips, and sting stoppers. Chambers Bay is grass with real balls but is $25 to use the range. I can play 18 holes for $28 at my local course with the senior rate. I'd rather play 18. I may not improve, but it's a lot more fun for the money.
I'm not really much of a practicer in general and certainly no fan of driving ranges. But what little practice I do has to be off grass. I figured out years ago that hitting balls off a mat was a) nothing like hitting off turf and b) hard on my clubs and my body.

When I go for lessons (very occasional) my golf coach has an indoor setup with the video and computer stuff. So most lessons will involve hitting a few shots indoors to do the multi-angle video capture. That's off a mat into a net, of course. But after a dozen or so swings there, we move outside to the turf for the main part of the lesson. That's about the only shots I ever hit off mats.

I had MOHS on the left side of my head above the hat line so not an area exposed to sun while I play. It was a pretty big hole and my dermatologist employed a plastic surgeon at the time who wasn't sure he was going to be able to close it without a graft. He did manage to close it when it was all said and done. I also had radiation on a skin cancer on my right forearm. I go to my dermatologist twice a year for screenings, before and after the golf "season".

Played 9 today, some good some bad. Couidn't get anything going, I will blame it on the heat and humidty.

Played 9 today, it was a good day. 4 pars and the rest boogies. I think I have finally found my swing, just have to keep working on it.

Played the senior tees today. Shot 35 on the front with two birdies, but a 40 on the back with a double. Consistency and golf seem to be oxymorons, lol.

Consistency and golf seem to be oxymorons, lol.
We are too hard on ourselves when it comes to consistency. A pro on the PGA tour can shoot 65 one day and 75 the next. We get frustrated with ourselves if we aren't within a couple of strokes of where we think we should shoot.

Shot 35 on the front with two birdies, but a 40 on the back with a double
Oh, BTW, On Thursday I shot 33 on the front (-3) and puked on the back shooting 43 (+7) with three doubles! The game can come and go just that fast! :D

Oh, BTW, On Thursday I shot 33 on the front (-3) and puked on the back shooting 43 (+7) with three doubles! The game can come and go just that fast! :D
I know, right? It's a bit crazy...same guy, same clubs, same weather, yet a 10 shot difference.

I’ve been more down than up lately and starting to second guess entering in the my Super Senior Club Championship.
Im not as fortunate as the guys who played on the high teams and had an early start. I started at 51 and still learning and adjusting. Two days ago I started going to a larger upper turn and have seen a slight increase in distance but more importantly improved tempo and less fat shots. If it continues to improve I may still enter with the idea of gaining experience and increase more comfort for future competitive golf.
At 72 don’t know what I would do without golf. It’s my new full time job!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Played the senior tees today. Shot 35 on the front with two birdies, but a 40 on the back with a double. Consistency and golf seem to be oxymorons, lol.

I’ve seen many of the PGA guys scuffle after playing well the week or even the round before. So I TRY to keep it in perspective.

I’ve been more down than up lately and starting to second guess entering in the my Super Senior Club Championship.
Im not as fortunate as the guys who played on the high teams and had an early start. I started at 51 and still learning and adjusting. Two days ago I started going to a larger upper turn and have seen a slight increase in distance but more importantly improved tempo and less fat shots. If it continues to improve I may still enter with the idea of gaining experience and increase more comfort for future competitive golf.
At 72 don’t know what I would do without golf. It’s my new full time job!

Play in the comp, and have fun.
Then look to join a league at your club. Golf will be even more fun, and you’ll get your competitive juices flowing.

We are too hard on ourselves when it comes to consistency. A pro on the PGA tour can shoot 65 one day and 75 the next. We get frustrated with ourselves if we aren't within a couple of strokes of where we think we should shoot.
Also, golf is a hard game.

Golf isa hard game , the idea is to enjoy the game and still be competetive. Like SC Lefty said join a league and play with a group and enjoy the game.

I do wonder though if there is a way to find more consistency, or maybe it is an impossibility due to swinging a stick at a static object.

I do wonder though if there is a way to find more consistency, or maybe it is an impossibility due to swinging a stick at a static object.
If guys who play this game for a living, who have access to the the best equipment that is specifically fit to them, who have coaches/instructors they work with regularly to fine tune their swing, who maybe consult sports psychologists for the mental side of the game from time-to-time, and who practice for hours on end, can't be any more consistent than they are then I think the best we can hope for is an occasional streak of some kind where we put it all together.

If guys who play this game for a living, who have access to the the best equipment that is specifically fit to them, who have coaches/instructors they work with regularly to fine tune their swing, who maybe consult sports psychologists for the mental side of the game from time-to-time, and who practice for hours on end, can't be any more consistent than they are then I think the best we can hope for is an occasional streak of some kind where we put it all together.
Yet somehow I chase the elusive consistency dream and for same crazy reason think it is obtainable. I know deep inside it isn't, yet those "put it all together" rounds give me hope all the while deceiving me. :ROFLMAO:

Yet somehow I chase the elusive consistency dream and for same crazy reason think it is obtainable. I know deep inside it isn't, yet those "put it all together" rounds give me hope all the while deceiving me. :ROFLMAO:
I think 99% of us do the same, yet we know from experience it’s a fools errand.
I love the saying “golf is a journey with no destination” I think it’s Important to remember that we’ll never be consistent, or good enough to satisfy ourselves.
The 20 cap says he wants to shoot mid 80’s… that will make him happy. Yet as soon as he does it regularly, he wants to shoot low 80’s or in the 70’s. It’s the same for every level player.

I love the saying “golf is a journey with no destination” I think it’s Important to remember that we’ll never be consistent, or good enough to satisfy ourselves.
The 20 cap says he wants to shoot mid 80’s… that will make him happy. Yet as soon as he does it regularly, he wants to shoot low 80’s or in the 70’s. It’s the same for every level player.
I was talking to an old school bud at the course some time back and we got to talking about how we can play good one day and bad the next. He was saying something along the lines of Golf is a game that you cannot win. It is not like there is some score you attain and bingo you win.

Once that got more settled in my mind, I have resolved myself from trying to conquer golf like I have done other things in life. Now I simply play the game and it seems my game has gotten better because of that.

You hit the nail on the head.

“Golf is assuredly a mystifying game. It would seem that if a person has hit a golf ball correctly a thousand times, he should be able to duplicate the performance at will. But such is certainly not the case.”

Bobby Jones

Back