The 60 and over Thread

I’m a younger guy (39) but with back issues I prefer to take it easy and play white tees, 6000ish is a nice course length for me, I drive 200-230 and love my Heavenwood and 5 hybrid. Most of my golf is played on Sun City courses, and I usually play as a single and end up playing with senior golfers both male and female. I just have to say, there are a lot of really good seniors out there, I get my butt kicked regularly by golfers twice my age. I really enjoy playing with all ages of golfers. I got paired with a threesome of 70 year old ladies my last round, and had the time of my life. I have a standing offer to join their daily 9am tee time whenever I’m available, lol.

Keep a eye open for those cougars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm in the distinguished old gentlemen club myself, and my setup is in my signature.
My club's course is 115 years old, and while we don't have members who remember the grand opening,
our number of weekday morning playing seniors like myself is not insignificant.

My game has held up a lot better than I deserve for it to have held up,
in that I'm at the age where if I feel up to swinging a club,
I play, I don't practice!

Keep a eye open for those cougars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I was out on my own last Saturday. Played with a son and grandfather and a lone women, who was also walking. We got to talking about golf and I mentioned my wife (we are married 47 years) many times. We got to the 16th hole and she sidled up to me and said "I've only known you for 3 hours but I'm looking for a guy, I'm lonely. Do you know anyone your age who is single and might be looking" She was my age, late 60's/maybe early 70's.

I have been out of the dating game for so long so couldn't decide if she was hitting on me or was genuinely asking.

We had quite a talk about the various singles clubs in town and how to meet guys.

I gotta say, she was a lovely woman. Seemed quite genuine.

and...she was a great golfer...one of my suggestions was to keep coming out golfing on her own.

Played 9 holes today, it was a good day. Made 4 pars, the rest boogies. Even had a look at a couple of birdies, hit the ball good today. Putting was not good, may change putters and practrice.

I was out on my own last Saturday. Played with a son and grandfather and a lone women, who was also walking. We got to talking about golf and I mentioned my wife (we are married 47 years) many times. We got to the 16th hole and she sidled up to me and said "I've only known you for 3 hours but I'm looking for a guy, I'm lonely. Do you know anyone your age who is single and might be looking" She was my age, late 60's/maybe early 70's.

I have been out of the dating game for so long so couldn't decide if she was hitting on me or was genuinely asking.

We had quite a talk about the various singles clubs in town and how to meet guys.

I gotta say, she was a lovely woman. Seemed quite genuine.

and...she was a great golfer...one of my suggestions was to keep coming out golfing on her own.
Sounds like "Nest" material

Shot my age again today....37-38-75....at Carrington Golf Club in Monroe, Michigan. One of my best rounds of the season in all areas
of my game!

Shot my age again today....37-38-75....at Carrington Golf Club in Monroe, Michigan. One of my best rounds of the season in all areas
of my game!

Congrats !!

of my game!
Congrats on shooting your age again !!! I just turned 67 yesterday so it will be awhile before I can shoot my age... if ever. :golf:

Gonna be 64 in a couple of weeks. Just found this thread and will check in here from time to time.

Our reduced rate senior membership affords us access to all club amenities always except golf which is limited to weekdays.
The season is almost over.
It's Wednesday.
And it's raining.
Bummer.

Played the front 9 at my favorite local course today.... had my personal best (37). Was proud of my staying in the moment and using smart course management. I’ll be 68 in Feb but, I’m playing as well or better than I ever have. Enjoying being out there! 😊

Very nice playing!

Played the front 9 at my favorite local course today.... had my personal best (37). Was proud of my staying in the moment and using smart course management. I’ll be 68 in Feb but, I’m playing as well or better than I ever have. Enjoying being out there! 😊
Nice going!! It's hard reaching those "milestones," isn't it!! For that reason, I try NOT to be aware of how many over par I am, etc. Sometimes it's impossible NOT to know, but I still try to not think about previous holes and just play one shot at a time....

This what I have learned to accept in my game this year.
Stop trying to get GIR and use the 2nd shot to put the third shot in a good position to get up and down.
If I bogey, I bogey. I was putting too much pressure on my game - Let the game come to me.
Exactly...we'd like an extra 20 yards, but if I drive it 200-210 I can't expect my 3 wood to get the green on a 430 yard par four. I been working on the approach shot.Bogey golf will get me under 90 on a par 72, occasionally.

Exactly...we'd like an extra 20 yards, but if I drive it 200-210 I can't expect my 3 wood to get the green on a 430 yard par four. I been working on the approach shot.Bogey golf will get me under 90 on a par 72, occasionally.

I was fit for wedges, not being great with GIR, and that made a huge difference. And I practice short game for longer periods of time on the range, getting creative, practicing new shots, not using the leading edge but the bounce and the back of the sole, and bunker game. I started holing out occasionally, and getting very close to save par with a wedge game.

Then I was fit for a putter and am waiting on it.

Now I am working on speed to get the rest of the bag going.

I play a 6200 course, and my instructor said I can't move to 6600 until I par the other. Tough guy.

I was fit for wedges, not being great with GIR, and that made a huge difference. And I practice short game for longer periods of time on the range, getting creative, practicing new shots, not using the leading edge but the bounce and the back of the sole, and bunker game. I started holing out occasionally, and getting very close to save par with a wedge game.

I play a 6200 course, and my instructor said I can't move to 6600 until I par the other. Tough guy.
YES! Become a wizard around the green. We old guys can still do that and it makes a HUGE difference.

I think it was Sam Snead who said every golfer should play the forward tees until they shoot par or better.

I also spend a lot of time on short game practice. The nice thing about developing a good short game is you don't need to be young or athletic to develop one. You just have to be willing to put in the time. My full swing still needs a lot of work, but our 5 time club champion said he wished he had my short game.

6200 is a bit long for me. If a golf course has senior tees, that is what I play.

Played 9 yesterday, started out good and was enjoying the round. Lost concentration and my game went south, hit good tee shots. Second shots were bad, chipping and putting were good. Need to work on second shots, hit some good 4and 5 hybrids. Need work on 2 and 3 hybrid, hit some good 3 hybrid but a few bad. work in progress.

Played 9 yesterday, started out good and was enjoying the round. Lost concentration and my game went south, hit good tee shots. Second shots were bad, chipping and putting were good. Need to work on second shots, hit some good 4and 5 hybrids. Need work on 2 and 3 hybrid, hit some good 3 hybrid but a few bad. work in progress.

I think this game will always be a journey and never a destination.

Getting old isn't all bad.

Celebrated my wife and my 44th wedding anniversary today playing a round at Pacific Grove Golf Links (known as the Poor Man's Pebble Beach) and dinner at Old Fisherman's Grotto. On the course, we had a third player Chuck from Florida who kept complementing me on my short game wizardry (a strength of game some of us can identify with). A fun and enjoyable day!

Today I'm headed to the driving range after my hair finishes drying and I'll work on tee shots with my 3W and my driving iron to see how things go and which is better. If the DI is straighter and more consistent, I'll move up a set of tees for the more soggy months and play that... just play a straight iron bag to keep the ball on the short grass as much as possible. If I can leave a 7i (140 winter carry distance) in on the average 330 yd par 4s I should be fine.

But I might have to try Trevino's old person's trick of moving my right foot back a little to help get my hips out of the way. He's in his 80s now.

My wife and I played yesterday and were paired with two singles. A first year covid golfer who was a ton of fun. The other guy said very little. Carried his clubs, played off the tips, everything well worn and carried an extra large double double. As we moved along my wife really started paying attention to how this guy was playing. He was the best player we were paired with this year. Later learned he worked for golf town. Golf, all day , every day. Told us he often played at least a round a day every day he worked, on the simulator.

His ball striking, especially approach shots was deadly. I wasn't keeping score but think he shot 2 over. One ugly hole...par three, bunker bunker, lol

Afterward, my wife said she had as much fun watching his shotmaking as playing herself.

We are often paired with "that guy". Plays off the tips, looks like he has purchased everything the day before, rarely hits any fairways and has an excuse for every miss. and always has a story about how well he shot "yesterday".

Drives my wife nuts.

This was the calmest I have ever seen her play.

Have a tee time tomorrow, hope for a good day. Also hope the water has drained from course, as we have had some rain last night.

My close friend's dad shot his age at 68, that at Hickory Hill in Methuen, Massachusetts.

That was in 1971. I was impressed enough to still remember it.

Back