The 60 and over Thread

Played 18 in crazy windy weather. Doesn't happen very often here. But this was one of those 3 club winds changing direction and intensity moment to moment. Made for some interesting guessing games. But also noticed the body doesn't tolerate this like it used to.

Played 9 holes today, good off the tee. Still having problems with second shot, and putting wasn't good. On hole #9 hit a good tee shot and a good second shot, hit to within 5 feet. And chipped for short putt, boogie golf again. Weather was great 71, a little cool at the start.

Played 9 holes today, started out real good. Good tee **** and second shot, on the green missed par putt. I was hitting my 3 hybrid for second shot, about 175. Par 5's I need a little more distance, but I like the 3. Straight and 175, 2 hybrid big slice. Record high today 72, will pay for it nexr week. Back to normal.

Many of us (including me) will find this video helpful.

Range of motion always trumps effort. Most of us struggle though with range of motion. Yes, age and injuries limit our range of motion. But so do many other things that we CAN control. Lots of us struggled our whole time golfing with balance. As we age and muscles aren't what they were, balance becomes more of an issue unless we make some of the adjustments in this video. One thing Shawn doesn't explicitly state that he nonetheless demonstrates is to slow down the backswing. A lot of balance issues happen on the backswing.

I'm 66 years old, and playing to a 12.8 handicap. I'm currently playing white tees, but I know there are quite a few courses where I should move up a tee. Any course over 6200 is a long haul for me now. I'd love it if this thread becomes a place for others like me to get together and talk golf.
It gets very tiring reading on golf forums about guys hitting 270 yard 3 woods and 160 yard nine irons. Don't even get me started with their driving distances. I realize most of it is nothing more than "internet golfers" looking to impress people they don't know. That stuff doesn't do a thing for me, and even when true, it is nothing I can relate to.
I'm guessing most of you who are 60 and older feel the same way, and have checked that part of your ego at the door years ago. I'm hoping you would like a place where you can talk about your game amongst peers. You still play well, or aspire to, and want to keep improving and talk to others like yourself about your round.
I also think most of you would like a thread where you can talk to players you can relate to about equipment you are using and or looking for, without someone telling you about their 14* 130 gram X-flex steel shafted driving iron they hit 260 on "short" par fours.
Have you tried a 5 hybrid? Play a 7 wood? What's your bag set up? Wondering about a certain shaft? Maybe you're thinking about changing shaft flex? Do you play in leagues with others, if so how did you do this week?
These are the type of things we can talk about.
Hope some of you other gents feel the same way... feel free to talk about whatever interests you.

great post! Im 61, an 8 index, and I play the tees that are closest to 6000 everywhere…my drives are 220, my 7 iron is 140, etc..but I keep it in play…rarely crooked…I have given up on watching pro golf (except the Masters and US Open - been watching them forever) - these 340 yard drives and 165 yard wedges just aren’t for me…

ive been playing 55 years, starting with my dad as a little kid on my 6th birthday…absolutely the best gift I ever received…miss him - he was a terrible player who absolutely loved the game…anyway, thanks for post

I played 18 today (walking and windy), and one of the guys I was paired with was 86 years old and he walks 18 holes everyday, weather permitting. He didn't hit the ball far, but he hit it dead straight.

On another note, I play the senior tees where available. The game is hard enough without allowing my ego to tell me what tees to play, lol.

I played 18 today (walking and windy), and one of the guys I was paired with was 86 years old and he walks 18 holes everyday, weather permitting. He didn't hit the ball far, but he hit it dead straight.

On another note, I play the senior tees where available. The game is hard enough without allowing my ego to tell me what tees to play, lol.

My Dad is 92, still gets out once or twice a week for nine holes, with a cart. I also do the senior tees, 69 here. My golf ego left a long time ago!

I played 9 in very windy conditions, game was so bad I didn't post anything. Couldn't hit my driver, every time pop up sky ball. Couldn't hit my irons, but putting was great. So wasn't a total waste, must have been swing too hard or trying to hard. Also probably last time out this year, weather looks too cold for extended forecast.

My Dad is 92, still gets out once or twice a week for nine holes, with a cart. I also do the senior tees, 69 here. My golf ego left a long time ago!
Zeff's post reminded me of this.

We had two guys that got out for 9 holes at our muni once or twice a week for years.

The 'young' guy was in his mid-to-high 80s. His buddy was early-to-mid 90s. The older gentleman was a widower. The 'younger' still had his beloved wife. At 90+ the older gentleman could only drive it about 100 yards and maxed out at about 75 yards off the fairway. Combined with his eyesight this meant he drove it out of sight--at least beyond his sight. So, his octogenarian buddy had to spot him on every shot.

It was my pleasure to play with these two on many occasions. They actually moved along much better than you'd think from the description above. But then and now, what struck me the most was the love and commitment they showed to each other, including the 'younger' man's wife who shared her husband in this meaningful way.

9, 10, or 11 holes was about their limit, then they'd ride off into the sunset. This went on for years. Then inevitably we didn't see them anymore. I miss seeing them.

I suspect many of you have experienced something similar during your golfing life. It is a wonderful thing to see.

I started playing golf and joined an older guy for a few rounds. He was not long off the tee, but striaght. Usually made par, or at least bogey. Enjoyed playing with him.

Played a round at the weekend and the bad news was it was cheaper than the previous round - birthday in-between means I am now a 'Senior' at 60+....

:facepalm:

A

It's been too cold to play...plus the greens are frozen, so I have been hitting balls in the heated bays we have. It also comes with TopTracer, so I can get some nice data, as well as "play" some nice courses.

Played a round at the weekend and the bad news was it was cheaper than the previous round - birthday in-between means I am now a 'Senior' at 60+....

:facepalm:

A
One of the perks. For a while I wondered if I was ever going to get there. Where I live they kept upping the senior age every time I got close.

I managed to get 18 holes in today in between the raindrops.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Going to be unseasonably warm today and windy - the two usually go together, unfortunately! It is going to be a challenge.

I had my final consultation yesterday regarding cataract surgery and will be having the first eye done on January 5, followed by the 2nd eye two weeks later. I doubt I'll be playing very much at all in January due to post-operative restrictions on how much weight I can lift as my bag exceeds that! Plus trying to play having one eye done I'm not sure how that will affect my overall vision, especially depth perception. Any comments, advice?

Hmm, lots of 70 degree days in December, don't remember this years ago. Will be playing Sunday. second time out with the XL halo irons.

Hmm, lots of 70 degree days in December, don't remember this years ago. Will be playing Sunday. second time out with the XL halo irons.
Yep, Sunday weather around here looks great! Enjoy your round.

Yep, Sunday weather around here looks great! Enjoy your round.

Good for golf - don't know if it's good overall. 85F in Dallas on Christmas is odd. Usually, it's cooler.

Going to be unseasonably warm today and windy - the two usually go together, unfortunately! It is going to be a challenge.

I had my final consultation yesterday regarding cataract surgery and will be having the first eye done on January 5, followed by the 2nd eye two weeks later. I doubt I'll be playing very much at all in January due to post-operative restrictions on how much weight I can lift as my bag exceeds that! Plus trying to play having one eye done I'm not sure how that will affect my overall vision, especially depth perception. Any comments, advice?
It's not bad, I had one eye done. Had to wait a year for the other due to eye problems, I have macular pucker, and it was real bad in right eye. So had to wait a year for eye to get better, had the other one done no problems.

I'd like to wish all you 60, and over senior golfers a happy, and healthy holidays.

We are all very fortunate to still be playing golf at our ages.
Likewise! Happiness and health for you and your families!

My goal is to shoot my age...Either I gotta live a lot longer or get better....Ha Happy Holidays you bunch of Old Farts...

My goal is to shoot my age...Either I gotta live a lot longer or get better....Ha Happy Holidays you bunch of Old Farts...
I've found it does get easier the older you get! :D

Happy Holidays to The 60 and over, hit'm striaght.

Back