The 60 and over Thread

Played 18 in crazy windy weather. Doesn't happen very often here. But this was one of those 3 club winds changing direction and intensity moment to moment. Made for some interesting guessing games. But also noticed the body doesn't tolerate this like it used to.

Don't know the temp you played in, but I'm growing less and less tolerant of the cold, or any other inclement conditions. That includes playing on a sloppy wet course!

Many of us (including me) will find this video helpful.

Range of motion always trumps effort. Most of us struggle though with range of motion. Yes, age and injuries limit our range of motion. But so do many other things that we CAN control. Lots of us struggled our whole time golfing with balance. As we age and muscles aren't what they were, balance becomes more of an issue unless we make some of the adjustments in this video. One thing Shawn doesn't explicitly state that he nonetheless demonstrates is to slow down the backswing. A lot of balance issues happen on the backswing.

I liked that video very much. When I was growing up I was taught the old "tuck a towel into your right armpit and keep it there" nonsense! Actually, I could make it work when I was young, and strong like bull! At 69 I need a bit more arc in my swing. As soon as the holidays are done, I'm taking my Silver Sneakers card to the local YMCA and working a bit on some toning, especially in my legs, and flexibility overall.

My goal is to shoot my age...Either I gotta live a lot longer or get better....Ha Happy Holidays you bunch of Old Farts...
I need to do BOTH!. Happy Holidays.

Range of motion always trumps effort. Most of us struggle though with range of motion. Yes, age and injuries limit our range of motion. But so do many other things that we CAN control. Lots of us struggled our whole time golfing with balance. As we age and muscles aren't what they were, balance becomes more of an issue unless we make some of the adjustments in this video. One thing Shawn doesn't explicitly state that he nonetheless demonstrates is to slow down the backswing. A lot of balance issues happen on the backswing.

Enjoyed the video and your observations!

It looked like Shawn was very slow in his back swing (as you said), lifted his left heel, and kept the club in front while turning back and up and finally, found a way to initiate momentum in transition.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays to all.

Going to be unseasonably warm today and windy - the two usually go together, unfortunately! It is going to be a challenge.

I had my final consultation yesterday regarding cataract surgery and will be having the first eye done on January 5, followed by the 2nd eye two weeks later. I doubt I'll be playing very much at all in January due to post-operative restrictions on how much weight I can lift as my bag exceeds that! Plus trying to play having one eye done I'm not sure how that will affect my overall vision, especially depth perception. Any comments, advice?
Good luck on the surgeries!

Visited a couple of nice courses in Virginia today: Birkdale in Chesterfield and Ironwood in Staunton.

Just hit the 6-0, and just added a 7w to the bag, thinking of dropping the 3i and 4i maybe to get one more wedge in play.
Glad to see this thread.

Just hit the 6-0, and just added a 7w to the bag, thinking of dropping the 3i and 4i maybe to get one more wedge in play.
Glad to see this thread.

Welcome to the club. Just added a 6h to go with my 3h-5h. My longest iron now is a 7.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to see this thread.
I'm also new to this section... Thinking similarly about a 7W...

A

Played 9 today, nice day. Good day hit my hybrids that I regripped, like the new jumbo grips. Regripped my putter also, worked well with new grip. Very happy with clubs and new gripes, hit them well roday. Tried to keep my swing simple no wrist and no elbows distance was lower, but ball went striaght.

67 here. This is my 9th year.

Last year picked up a used set of ping eye 2's to go with my age. lol

Still walking 18 holes.

Try to walk, do some push up's , planks, stretching and ball free swings every day. Plus an hour of Dick's Picks.

As the saying goes "If I keep Trucking", I'll keep Truckin'"

61 here. Having trouble staying at the white tees as distance is slowly decreasing. Still keep a 15.3 index. Thinking of starting an exercise program to try and keep my length off tee. Just listened to Volume 3 5-22-77. Great show!! One way or another, this darkness got to give.

61 here. Having trouble staying at the white tees as distance is slowly decreasing. Still keep a 15.3 index. Thinking of starting an exercise program to try and keep my length off tee. Just listened to Volume 3 5-22-77. Great show!! One way or another, this darkness got to give.

Exercise program is a good plan. Works for me!

Love this video. Turned 65 this year. Always had a long swing and good turn. Son had me shorten swing a few years ago. Went to our pro for a lesson and he said why is swing so short. 😂 Went back to my old long swing and turn. I do have to remember to be deliberate on the backswing. I tend to get to quick.
Also added a 7w to the bag this year. 👍 Still play the white tees and outdrive all but one of the youngsters, 50-59 year olds I play with. Will play forward in scrambles.

61 here....losing some distance and looking to do the same. I also caught about 60 shows between 9/3/80 Springfield and 6/22/95 Albany!

My Wife & I are both 66 and play 5 to 6 days a week. We normally walk 9 holes with push carts or spend time on the practice range instead of playing on the course when swing or short game issues happen. The reason we like to walk is for health reasons.

Tried out a Taylormade 300 mini driver this summer at a Taylormade demo days and hit it about the same distance as my 44.5" G400 driver, but with better consistency. Ordered a Mini driver, but has not come in yet.

Play off of white tees. When younger used to play with S shafts, eventually moving to R shafts, now using A graphite shafts that give about 220 to 230 yards with the driver and 150 yards with the 7I. Since my swing speed is slowing down, A flex did not hurt my direction but helped with distance and gives a better feel when hitting.

Raining on and off here today, we hope to get on the practice range for an hour or so between showers. :)

I will be 66 in a couple of months. I have a driver swing speed somewhere in the upper 80's and my normal drive is around 215 or so. Lately I have tried using ulta-lightweight driver shafts (45g) in my Ping G30 to try and gain some more distance. I have had disappointing results with that so far, as the senior flex Ping tfc shaft seems to perform best for me . Any advise as far as shafts that you older guys have had success with would be appreciated. I am going to demo a XXIO 11 driver in the next week or so. I'll let you know how that goes.

I moved to Grafalloy Prolaunch Blue 45/65 graphite wood A shafts and Grafalloy ProLaunch Blue Graphite Iron A Shafts in most of my clubs. They have high trajectory launch and softer feel when hitting. Really like these shafts.

Anyone successfully deal with a frozen shoulder? Went to an ortho: two steroid shots and 6 PT sessions later, my range of motion is better. But, still experiencing pain. It's been 4 months.

Anyone successfully deal with a frozen shoulder? Went to an ortho: two steroid shots and 6 PT sessions later, my range of motion is better. But, still experiencing pain. It's been 4 months.

We started having joint pain and changed our diets to a Keto diet. It took about 6 months, but our joints feel much better now and lost 30 pounds after starting the diet.

Not sure what you mean by frozen. I had clavicle surgery about 4 years ago because the clavicle bone was rubbing when I raised my left arm and it was really painful. They just removed a 1/4" of the bone and now it's fine.

I'm always skeptical of PT. It only exacerbates a true organic problem. If something's broke, it needs fixin'.

Not sure what you mean by frozen. I had clavicle surgery about 4 years ago because the clavicle bone was rubbing when I raised my left arm and it was really painful. They just removed a 1/4" of the bone and now it's fine.

I'm always skeptical of PT. It only exacerbates a true organic problem. If something's broke, it needs fixin'.

I had x-rays. Structurally the shoulder looks good and no arthritis. They say, a frozen shoulder can be attributed to an autoimmune response. I have been playing and practicing golf for 40+ years. Maybe, it is due to overuse. Before PT, I couldn't loop my belt and could only lift my hand/arm half way.

I dealt with shoulder bursitis and tendonitis last winter. Bothered me for 5 months. I had a cortisone shot which didn’t really help. But, I was given some exercises by the ortho that I continue to do.

Nov of 2020-67 years old. slipped on the ice, landed on my shoulder. By the next day, I couldn't move my shoulder. I lucked out. My wife was going to a physio place following recovery from a broken arm. Her PT gave me the spiel...the joint only has so much space. Everything in there was bruised and swollen. Filling up the space, which through years of driving and keyboard use, was further impaired by years of bad posture.

She told me "do the exercises I give you, every day, and you'll be golfing by April". At that point I couldn't swing a club at all. She told me I would feel that accident for a year or more, but you will have movement.

I've been doing the exercises every day since, including being able to do 2 or 3 minutes of plank every day. Played 67 times this year, can play guitar without pain. I still feel it, but I have normal movement.

The bass player in a geezer band I play with, busted up his rotator cuff. He was doing the steroid thing every three months. Give him movement but once it wore off, he tightened up again. I told him about my situation, shared the paper my PT gave me, and he has started stretching at the gym every day and is loosening up. Does it every day.

I'm not a doctor. I lucked out cuz nothing was torn or broken. If it is...your gonna need to have it fixed. But if it isn't , you'r gonna have to do some kind of resistance stretching to get the movement. and it appears to be a long process. But at least its not heart disease or worse.

I have not had to deal with this, but several of my buddies have. What doctors refer to as a frozen shoulder generally takes 1 to 1 1/2 years to work through and subside. I haven't heard of any magic bullets or effective regimes that substantially change that outlook. The good news is it appears to eventually run its course.

Welcome to the club. Just added a 6h to go with my 3h-5h. My longest iron now is a 7.

My longest iron is a 7-iron as well. I don't get along with hybrids so I have a 25º and 21º fairway woods, as well as a 17º.

My longest iron is a 7-iron as well. I don't get along with hybrids so I have a 25º and 21º fairway woods, as well as a 17º.

It took me a long time to find hybrids I could hit.

Back