The 60 and over Thread

I tried fairway woods and hybrids, couldn't find anything I could hit consistantly. Remenbered I was hitting Adams hybrids 12 years ago, found the A3os boxer hybrids on 2nd Swing golf. And found I can hit them, if I don't try to swing hard. Don't go as far as they used to, but are striaght.

Anyone successfully deal with a frozen shoulder? Went to an ortho: two steroid shots and 6 PT sessions later, my range of motion is better. But, still experiencing pain. It's been 4 months.

Could be calcium deposits in the joint. I have the same issue, 66 years old, cortisone works but it can take many months before your shoulder joint is pain free. Over the past 10 years I have had 2 shots in left shoulder, 3 in right shoulder, 2 in hip and 2 in spine between L4 and L5. I'm a pin cushion!

Doc said that taking atorvastatin (Lipitor) for cholesterol can cause calcium deposits in joints. Yup I've been on it for 20 years.

I have not had to deal with this, but several of my buddies have. What doctors refer to as a frozen shoulder generally takes 1 to 1 1/2 years to work through and subside. I haven't heard of any magic bullets or effective regimes that substantially change that outlook. The good news is it appears to eventually run its course.

I had a frozen shoulder about 25 years ago and still have reoccurring pain. About 5 years ago I started get shoulder impingement and got PT for this.
I believe this ie the result of a partially separated shoulder from wrestling. Old injuries continue to raise their ugly head like skin cancer does.
I’m 72 and like to lift weights and need to not go too heavy on the shoulder lifts. Band exercises seem to not aggravate the shoulder as much. I’m sure playing golf and practice year round doesn’t help much.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've had an impingement issue for about 2 months now. Over did a shoulder workout back in November and the same day went to the range and hit 2 large buckets. Has been slowly getting better with some recommended exercises. Initially, trying to sleep at night was a difficult, but now it has healed to the point that swinging a club doesn't hurt at all and I am back in the gym 6 days a week getting the strength back in it. So far so good- trying not to overdue it but I tend to overdue everything.

I wonder what the difference between a frozen shoulder and an impingement problem is. There's definitely pain and a lack of range of motion with a frozen shoulder. Either way, it sounds similar and not good for our golf games.

I wonder what the difference between a frozen shoulder and an impingement problem is. There's definitely pain and a lack of range of motion with a frozen shoulder. Either way, it sounds similar and not good for our golf games.
When I first got it I wondered if it was the end of golf for me. I could not raise my left arm without pretty severe pain. Now, after 2 months I see the light at the end of the tunnel. I'm not familiar with the difference between the 2 either, but, I wouldn't wish either one on anybody'

Anyone successfully deal with a frozen shoulder? Went to an ortho: two steroid shots and 6 PT sessions later, my range of motion is better. But, still experiencing pain. It's been 4 months.
Golf and other activities were really painful and I couldn't lift my arm above my chest. I did the PT but the results were not great so I had surgery and have 99% ROM now. Recovery stunk but I'm so glad I did it. My ortho surgeon gave me a shot and said if it helps even for a short time, I was a good candidate for surgery; if not, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Good luck.

Golf and other activities were really painful and I couldn't lift my arm above my chest. I did the PT but the results were not great so I had surgery and have 99% ROM now. Recovery stunk but I'm so glad I did it. My ortho surgeon gave me a shot and said if it helps even for a short time, I was a good candidate for surgery; if not, it probably wouldn't be worth it. Good luck.

Glad surgery worked for you. Feel well.

I am in month 4, post the first steroid shot. I may try another PT and then a trainer after that. Still working on this frozen shoulder!

CT Scan confirmed hernia. Need surgery (according to Google and my GP). So any other old people have this done/fixed? Issues? How long to recover? How long till regular play?

thanks!

I can make this a separate thread but I’m assuming it’s for old people :rolleyes:

CT Scan confirmed hernia. Need surgery (according to Google and my GP). So any other old people have this done/fixed? Issues? How long to recover? How long till regular play?

thanks!

I can make this a separate thread but I’m assuming it’s for old people :rolleyes:

I don't have any issue with it. The 60 and over thread does masquerade at times as the injury thread.

It's 22, feels like 11 in Topeka. Snow headed this way, and colder temps.

58 degrees in Cary, NC, we're all of the place on temps. Back to discussing injuries and an inabilty to make a 90 degree turn without something hurting.

12 degrees here in Waukesha WI add in the 22 mph wind it feels like -4 :eek:

Brrr, it's 57F in NorTex.

Could be calcium deposits in the joint. I have the same issue, 66 years old, cortisone works but it can take many months before your shoulder joint is pain free. Over the past 10 years I have had 2 shots in left shoulder, 3 in right shoulder, 2 in hip and 2 in spine between L4 and L5. I'm a pin cushion!

Doc said that taking atorvastatin (Lipitor) for cholesterol can cause calcium deposits in joints. Yup I've been on it for 20 years.
I had a frozen shoulder two years ago. It came out of nowhere. Incredibly painful, but I was lucky I was better in about 6-7 weeks.
I take Atorvastatin also, but according to my doctor (who is a golfer and had it also) it’s a random condition that can happen to anyone, at any age. It’s caused by random loss of synovial fluid (which “lubricates” the joint), and there is really nothing you can do except take meds and wait for the fluid to build back up. There’s no set time frame they can give you for that to occur, but in most cases it takes a lot longer than it did for me.

58 degrees in Cary, NC, we're all of the place on temps. Back to discussing injuries and an inabilty to make a 90 degree turn without something hurting.
I’m back down in Myrtle Beach after spending the holidays up on Long Island. I was supposed to play Tuesday, but after a long stretch of 70 and sunny days, we were hit with near freezing temps and 15-20 mph winds that morning. The course had a frost delay and it was CPO so I’m going to play my first round in 6 weeks on a 6200 yard course that will probably play at least 6500 In tomorrow’s conditions. 🙄
It’s a flighted league comp with about 120 players, so although I’m looking forward to it, I wouldn’t have minded if they moved me up a tee. 6200 yards up north is one thing, down here on a soggy course with the heavy damp air off the ocean this time of year is a different animal.

Last edited:
Glad surgery worked for you. Feel well.

I am in month 4, post the first steroid shot. I may try another PT and then a trainer after that. Still working on this frozen shoulder!
Good luck with it. (y)

Yes, it took a year - had a cortisone shot in the right shoulder from the front. Doc told me to get a long stick or broomstick, hold it over my head several times a day for 10 seconds, you might scream, I did. I did the simple therapy and after a year it was completely gone. No Pain, No Gain.

thanks!

I have too much experience with this, but I am willing to share. I've had both groin and belly button or umbilical cord hernias. The location and severity do matter. The original hernia was a groin hernia on the right side where some of my internals began to attach itself to my left testicle. In other words, it was pretty severe. That was a laparoscopic surgery involving 5 small incisions, which most hernia surgeries are today, which makes a big difference (shortened recovery time). Be that as it may, I was still told 3-6 months before I'd play golf. I was back in 3 months and this seemed to be the key.

After surgery I began moving as soon as I could for as long as I could and was persistent. After surgery I felt for a while like someone had stapled my stomach to my groin I was so bent over, and my initial walks were from my bed to the bathroom. But three days later I could walk a few hundred yards at a time and did. Every couple of days got in longer walks until 2 weeks after surgery I was measuring my walks in miles through the neighborhoods around me. That got my capability up faster and all that blood circulation from walking no doubt promoted healing.

A few years later the mesh failed and the surgery was actually more extensive. I had a different surgeon this time and he made it clear he was none to happy with the work of the previous surgeon. I also had some unavoidable nerve damage from this second surgery. BUT I followed the same regime for recovery and had the same outcome.

The belly button or umbilical cord hernia is more recent. It's small and is not causing any problems, so in this case my doctor recommended I just live with it, unless something changes. So not all hernias require surgery.

P. S. You will reach a point where you can stand for a while, but aren't supposed to lift anything more than 5 pounds. A golf club weighs a pound to a pound and a half. So I took that as a green light to do some putting and chipping. Stayed away from anything akin to a full swing, just those short game elements. If you are like me, that will be good for you emotionally. Gave me a big lift.

Yes, it took a year - had a cortisone shot in the right shoulder from the front. Doc told me to get a long stick or broomstick, hold it over my head several times a day for 10 seconds, you might scream, I did. I did the simple therapy and after a year it was completely gone. No Pain, No Gain.

Glad (and no so glad), it took a year. Thx for sharing.

I have too much experience with this, but I am willing to share. I've had both groin and belly button or umbilical cord hernias. The location and severity do matter. The original hernia was a groin hernia on the right side where some of my internals began to attach itself to my left testicle. In other words, it was pretty severe. That was a laparoscopic surgery involving 5 small incisions, which most hernia surgeries are today, which makes a big difference (shortened recovery time). Be that as it may, I was still told 3-6 months before I'd play golf. I was back in 3 months and this seemed to be the key.

After surgery I began moving as soon as I could for as long as I could and was persistent. After surgery I felt for a while like someone had stapled my stomach to my groin I was so bent over, and my initial walks were from my bed to the bathroom. But three days later I could walk a few hundred yards at a time and did. Every couple of days got in longer walks until 2 weeks after surgery I was measuring my walks in miles through the neighborhoods around me. That got my capability up faster and all that blood circulation from walking no doubt promoted healing.

A few years later the mesh failed and the surgery was actually more extensive. I had a different surgeon this time and he made it clear he was none to happy with the work of the previous surgeon. I also had some unavoidable nerve damage from this second surgery. BUT I followed the same regime for recovery and had the same outcome.

The belly button or umbilical cord hernia is more recent. It's small and is not causing any problems, so in this case my doctor recommended I just live with it, unless something changes. So not all hernias require surgery.

P. S. You will reach a point where you can stand for a while, but aren't supposed to lift anything more than 5 pounds. A golf club weighs a pound to a pound and a half. So I took that as a green light to do some putting and chipping. Stayed away from anything akin to a full swing, just those short game elements. If you are like me, that will be good for you emotionally. Gave me a big lift.
Thank you VERY much for taking time to reply with all the details. Hoping to see the surgeon soon and go from there, out morbid curiosity, I guess, I'll keep everyone posted!. Heck maybe a new thread

Back