The 60 and over Thread

I don't think I have played 40 different courses in my entire life, lol.
I know right. Wonder if there's a 12 step program for golf course A.D.D. because I need help.:sick:

SC Lefty, thanks for starting this thread.

A few years back, well, 15 years really, I could hit the 15° 3 wood 260 yards and the driver, 9.5°, was 295 yards with excursions into 320 territory. Never got to 165 with a 9 iron, that was my 7 iron. But, I was a ‘young’ 52 then.

67 now and playing to a 10.5. Most of the guys I play with are in their 70’s so play from the tees that put the yardage around 5800 yards, usually the ‘senior’ tees, though I score as well from the 6000 - 6500 yard tees. Broke 80 for the first time last October and have enjoyed semi regular excursions into that heady territory.

I still play with a ‘S’ graphite in the driver, and ‘S’ steel in the irons, though the 3 wood has a ‘R’ graphite, all based on club fitting 6 years ago. Though I love my 3 wood off the tee or ground, I have ever been able to hit hybrids, so none in my bag. In fact, I only carry 12 clubs, driver, 3w, 4-9i, pow, gw, sw and putter.

Looking forward to what others are saying on this board.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

42/40 today for an 82. Two brain dead holes on each side wrecked what could have been an excellent round, one was a triple on a par three. On all 4 hole, just let emotions get in the way of decent play.

Another round tomorrow on a less challenging course, but playing longer by 200 yards. We’ll see how it goes.

Found out my index is now 8.2! My goal was 10 for the year.

Great thread that validates my experiences. I am 64 and really enjoy the golf courses when playing from the white tees (typically 6000 to 6400 yds). I have a good chance of reaching all of the par 4's in 2 with two good shots. I carry a 5.7 handicap from the whites. If I moved back to the blue tees, virtually every hole is harder and some par 4's are just unreachable even with two good shots. I went to graphite shafts in all clubs except my 54 and 58 degree wedges. That has eliminated the elbow pain. I have a 3 and 5 wood in the bag along with a 4h and 5h. I'd much rather be putting for birdies than pitching/chipping up to hope for a 1 putt on holes that I can't reach in regulation.

Play what works FOR YOU. Nothing to feel sad about. It took me 3 years to finally get a set that I believe works for me. It's still a struggle, but most of the time I am confident when I pull clubs for certain shots that used to intimidate me. Speaking of which, I will probably be adding a 4h to my bag soon.

Given today's stronger lofts the first iron in my bag is a 7-iron, which used to be the loft of my 5-iron 15 years ago. I also have three fairway woods: 17º/21º/25º.

I'm putting a 5 hybrid in the bag tomorrow for the first time, which is what made me think of starting this thread. I haven't even hit a practice ball with it yet. LOL. I like my 3 and 4, so I simply got the matching 5.
Why?
I played Tuesday and was in a shallow fairway bunker about 160-165 yards from the green. The bigger problem was there was water about 80 yards in front of me, and I needed to carry the ball at least 140 to clear it.
Somehow I managed to make better than decent contact, and ended up just off the green about 30 feet from the pin. I was very happy about the shot, but what I really took from it was how unlikely that outcome would be in most cases for me. When I got over the ball, I couldn't stop thinking of the things that could go wrong. I even thought quite hard about laying up with a SW. I thought to myself how much easier it would be to pull off with a high lofted hybrid instead.
That shot stuck in my head for two days, and yesterday I went and got myself that 5 hybrid. I'm not going to lie, I felt a little sad about doing it, but I'm pretty sure I'm not going to regret it. It sort of reminds me of when I decided to switch from steel to graphite in my irons...

What ever works pards!

I'll play with a bag full of pink ladies clubs if they can help me. (y)

Will test a 5 hybrid today for a potential slot in the bag. If I get it, then half my bag will have head covers. Yikes. Lol

I will be 74 soon -- still hitting it pretty good with a Ping K15 12 deg driver. Love playing the young guns in match play that drive it 80 yards past me -- but most of the time I am first in the hole and I tell them that's good pick it up. They are very confused when I am up 4 and 4 to go.

the two clubs that score the best is an 11 wood and a Heavenwood from Callaway Epic Flash model.. they are the clubs that help me the most keeping my handicap 5.5
I picked up a heavenwood three years ago and then a year later found a cobra king 9-11 wood. ( I suppose it is like the cally divine nine) For the courses I play , they are the only two woods/hybrids in my bag. Helped me reduce form a 24 to an 18 the last couple of years. Hoping for a couple more point reduction next year.

Boring, down the middle golf. lol Don't lose many balls anymore tho.

Whats an over 60 thread without bringing up health lol.

My season is now over, by choice. I went golfing about 6 weeks ago. Mrs. U was gardening when I left. On 9 I got a call from a neighbour who told me Mrs. U had tripped on a garden hose, with her hands full of pots and face planted. Turns out she had major bruising to any body part that hit the ground and fractured her upper left arm in three places. We been married 46 years. I don't want to leave her for 5 or 6 hours. Initially she could barely move as the bruising progressed. She's recovering really well. Its the skimpy nursing uniform I have trouble wearing

Man, is she pissed about having to stop. Despite covid, she got out about 50 times and got herself down to an 18, pre fall.

We only get 6 months , so losing almost two is a bummer.

A buddy of mine (72 years old) has been having a miserable time with blocking his driver and woods right for the past couple years.

He just recently bought a offset Tour Edge HL4 driver and a offset 5 wood in senior flex and he's right back down the middle again.

I take all the credit because I did turn him onto them. (y)

Health is nearly always a big part of being older. EVERYBODY our age has health issues. My mother used to get together with other senior women for bridge clubs and things. Her group had a rule that no one was allowed to talk about their health because it would soon be the only topic of discussion. It's a great rule but very hard to avoid. I think it would be great to avoid health discussions here. Let's pretend we are all as healthy as our grand kids!

I’m 66 and still hit the ball ok. 200to225 driver, 135 7 iron. i play Macgregor blades 3 tru pw . As I got older I realized that I needed to hit long irons to stay competitive. I try to hit plastic balls in the yard most days and I concentrate on long irons. I can hit my VIP 3 iron as well as any of the other irons(sometimes I might pull it from 155). Seniors , in my opinion, don’t need the newer delofted irons. Loft is the senior golfers friend. I stay away from hybrids because I have no accuracy with them. If a 3 iron is only carrying 160 to 170 on a given day my next stop is the 3 wood. In my opinion seniors only have the speed they have and they need to compensate with center contact.

I started the game on a regular basis at 51 and now 6 years retired at 71. Starting late has its challenges like swinging without fear and not as flexible. The benefit is I’m near my best handicap and still learning more shots and course management.
My clubs at the top are driver, 3/4w, 4hy and 5i which works with my 90mph driver swing speed. I recently traded my 5hy when I found out my new TM Sim Max long irons are more forgiving. The 5i is at least as long as the g400 5hy and much more controllable.
I don’t know what I would do without golf in my retirement. It is a full time job!

I’m 66 and still hit the ball ok. 200to225 driver, 135 7 iron. i play Macgregor blades 3 tru pw . As I got older I realized that I needed to hit long irons to stay competitive. I try to hit plastic balls in the yard most days and I concentrate on long irons. I can hit my VIP 3 iron as well as any of the other irons(sometimes I might pull it from 155). Seniors , in my opinion, don’t need the newer delofted irons. Loft is the senior golfers friend. I stay away from hybrids because I have no accuracy with them. If a 3 iron is only carrying 160 to 170 on a given day my next stop is the 3 wood. In my opinion seniors only have the speed they have and they need to compensate with center contact.

First, :welcome:

I haven't had a 3i, or 4i in my bag for the last 3 or 4 yrs now. The 5i just came out this year. I've been using some Cleveland Halo Launchers in their place and I lov'em. Haven't had a fairway wood in the bag either. Just can't get them in the air anymore. being 68 years old has some disadvantages, but what the hey, you learn to adjust. ;)

I just caught up on this thread, I am 63 and recently replaced the 4 iron with a 4 hybrid, Vktr from Hogan golf. I still move the ball fairly well. all irons have graphite now. UST Mamiya 780 smack wraps in stiff. TM SIM in 10.5 and a PXG 3 wood. My 50 and 54 deg wedges have steel shafts but i don't believe that will be for very long. Seems to have helped the hands and right elbow by making the move to graphite.

I started the game on a regular basis at 51 and now 6 years retired at 71. Starting late has its challenges like swinging without fear and not as flexible. The benefit is I’m near my best handicap and still learning more shots and course management.
My clubs at the top are driver, 3/4w, 4hy and 5i which works with my 90mph driver swing speed. I recently traded my 5hy when I found out my new TM Sim Max long irons are more forgiving. The 5i is at least as long as the g400 5hy and much more controllable.
I don’t know what I would do without golf in my retirement. It is a full time job!

odd - we both started at the same age - 51 yr old. now I am am 73. always thought it was a stupid game. But then I met a lady who loved to golf -- she asked me if I golfed on our first date. I said "No cant stand the dumb game" She replied " well if you are going to date me -- you are going to need to learn and play" - so I took lessons, fell in love with the game but then found out she was Bi Polar crazy Lady. Dumped her but kept the game. soon became a 16 handicap and then retired and now a 5.6 handicap,. Hardley play any recreational golf - mainly tournaments every week.

My current girlfriend who is a pleasure to be with and not crazy -- asks me almost everyday -- where are you playing today. :D

odd - we both started at the same age - 51 yr old. now I am am 73. always thought it was a stupid game. But then I met a lady who loved to golf -- she asked me if I golfed on our first date. I said "No cant stand the dumb game" She replied " well if you are going to date me -- you are going to need to learn and play" - so I took lessons, fell in love with the game but then found out she was Bi Polar crazy Lady. Dumped her but kept the game. soon became a 16 handicap and then retired and now a 5.6 handicap,. Hardley play any recreational golf - mainly tournaments every week.

My current girlfriend who is a pleasure to be with and not crazy -- asks me almost everyday -- where are you playing today. :D

Your handicap of 5.6 when starting late is impressive. What do you think is your key; natural ability, or many lessons and practice. I love competitive golf also having wrestled through college. Those skills don’t transfer well to golf. Squeezing harder doesn’t work well in golf. I have an engineering degree and many say I over think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Your handicap of 5.6 when starting late is impressive. What do you think is your key; natural ability, or many lessons and practice. I love competitive golf also having wrestled through college. Those skills don’t transfer well to golf. Squeezing harder doesn’t work well in golf. I have an engineering degree and many say I over think.

a large part my 5.6 hdcp is due to joining 5 or so men's clubs close to me - playing often but also knowing 2 wonderful teaching pro's who have asked me to be on their pro am teams. the best instruction I have received is when they critique my game after a good day of competition and also watching them do what they do. Not hitting the ball as long as they do but watching and practicing their short game techniques -

one of the techniques I learned early on is using a 9 iron for close to the green short game work and leaving the wedge in the bag. the 52-60 deg wedge is good but only about 20% of the time - I ask you this -"How many time do you see an amateur use a 56 or 60 deg wedge for short off the green shots and they come up way short of the hole, A 9 Iron changes this to getting to the hole or a little past almost every time. try it some time.(y)

Last edited:
64 here. I started golfing 30 years ago. Got the bug and played at least once a week. Sometimes twice. But I never took lessons which is my biggest regret. I was never a good golfer. Usually broke 100 after a few months at the beginning. But rarely broke 90. That was on an easier course than I play now. That bug lasted about 3 years. Life got in the way. Raising a family. Fast pitch softball was my first love. So there wasn't time for both due to weekend travelling for the softball. I stopped playing till I retired from state service 3 years ago and decided to pick it up again.

Now that I got that out of the way, my game is probably better now than it was when I was younger. The courses I normally play on now are definitely much harder than the ones I played 30 years ago. I still hit from the white tees. They're around 6300 yards. Several par 4's well over 400 yards. I don't hit from the senior tees because the difference is maybe ten yards on average. So why bother?

My bag is a mix of different clubs. I use a Cobra F6 9.5 for the driver. Had it 4 years and I just don't want to give it up. Its my most comfortable club. I tried demos but I can't them as well. I can't hit a fairway wood to save my life so I don't have any in the bag. I have 3 and 4 Adams hybrids but those are hit and miss for me. I have 5-PW Adams irons. I like the feel of Adams for some reason. My wedges are Titleist 52 and 58. My putter is just a cheap clone of the Taylor Made Ghost putter. I might break down and get the real thing but I like the feel of this one. I don't use all 14 clubs in my bag. I'm thinking of digging out my old 31 degree hybrid since I have trouble the 5 and 6 irons. That one used to hit about that distance and usually had a high trajectory to come down nice on the greens.

There was a time when 300 yard drives weren't uncommon for me. But that was only when I hit straight which wasn't very often. And it had nothing to do technique. I just tried to muscle it out there. Now I'm more like 220 yards but pretty straight for the most part. Last week I hit 12 fairways. This week I hit 9. Now you know why I don't want to upgrade the Cobra. Its the most forgiving club I ever used. I don't hit the sweet spot often enough but it still goes straight.

a large part my 5.6 hdcp is due to joining 5 or so men's clubs close to me - playing often but also knowing 2 wonderful teaching pro's who have asked me to be on their pro am teams. the best instruction I have received is when they critique my game after a good day of competition and also watching them do what they do. Not hitting the ball as long as they do but watching and practicing their short game techniques -

one of the techniques I learned early on is using a 9 iron for close to the green short game work and leaving the wedge in the bag. the 52-60 deg wedge is good but only about 20% of the time - I ask you this -"How many time do you see an amateur use a 56 or 60 deg wedge for short off the green shots and they come up way short of the hole, A 9 Iron changes this to getting to the hole or a little past almost every time. try it some time.(y)

My golf club is along a river and has heavy terrain and uneven lies. I gave up trying to hit partial 56-60 wedges on a descending slope and have been using PW. On the slower greens and longer chips will give the 9i a try. I know it is straighter.
Thanks

As I said before, I will be 63 in November. I just made an appointment for my first full knee replacement (Left) on Oct. 28.
The right one will be replaced the first part of December. I have one or two chances left to play before I will be done for the year.
I am really looking forward to getting these done so I can walk the courses again.

I turned 64 in May. As noted in the introduction thread, I took the game up at 30 and stopped playing at 54. Began playing again in 2019 when I retired and have had to get used to the "new normal" of being older, with attendant aches and pains and lack of flexibility. Although I was never a long hitter, the break from playing and age have resulted in me losing a lot of distance.

For the last two seasons I have played with a "hodge podge" of clubs, some of which I had from back in the day and some I bought used. In September I decided to get an irons and wedges fitting and ended up with Ping G710s (7-UW) and a Glide 3.0 Eye-2 56*, all shafted with Recoil F3 shafts (unfortunately, I won't have them for about a month). I have also picked up a Ping G400 10.5* driver (stock Alta regular shaft; set at 11.5* and replaced a Titleist 913D 12*) and an Cally Epic Flash Heavenwood (setting TBD, replaces a Titleist 910F 21*), both of which I'll be giving some range time tomorrow.

What I learned from going through a fitting is, among other things, that technology has changed (and improved clubs) considerably since 2009 and with the proper fit and new technology, I can gain distance and consistency. Now its up to me to work on my short game:).

I turned 73 this past summer. I've been playing since my father introduced me to the game so I think I was about 10 or so when I started. I have never been a "long hitter" but with advances in club and ball technology I'm not that much shorter than I was at my longest. I typically play the "white" tees and feel comfortable playing courses up to about 6300 or so yards. It just depends on how that yardage is spread out. I don't mind long par 5's, moderately long par 3's but long par 4's are a killer for me. I've pretty much been a single digit handicap most of my life and have had plenty of accomplishments along the way that I won't go into.

I play senior flex shafts in my irons and wedges but I have been playing "R" flex in my woods. I have a Chrome Elements stiff shaft that I put in play today for the first time in my driver. It is heavier and stiffer than what I usually use and so I adjusted my driver to +2/D. I had two pulls on holes where I could least afford to, one push, but hit the ball much straighter on the other 9 holes where driver is used. I don't feel I lost much if any distance and by the end of the round I think I found a swing and ball position that will work really well with this shaft. In fact, the last two drives were my two longest and I didn't feel I had to put as much effort into it! o_O

Great idea for a thread!

I'm very happy so many of you are enjoying this thread.
I never realized when I started it there were so many of us 60+ players here. I hope a lot of you continue to come here, get to know each other, and make friends. I'm enjoying reading about your journeys, how and when you got started in golf, and what clubs you're filling your bag with. Let's keep it going!
Please guys, don't hesitate to talk about your rounds, any leagues you play in, and what you're working on to get better. This is our "safe place", LOL. It's where we can talk about our good and bad moment like the 130-145 yard 7 iron that set up a birdie, or a new light weight shaft that's working well in your driver. Thinking of putting another high lofted FW or hybrid in the bag? Tell us about the one you like, and why.
We have one advantage on the young guys.... most of us have more time to play than we ever did, and if we choose the right tees and equipment, we can still play some damned good golf. Lets band together, keep this thread going and help each other accomplish that.

Last edited:
I was hoping that the administrators might add a “seniors” forum, but this should work out just fine. Thanks SC LEFTY for starting it.

Back