The 60 and over Thread

What courses do you play in RI?

I used to play all around the R.I. back in the 80's & 90's

Mostly North Kingstown Golf Course, which you might recall as Quonset Point Naval golf course (I don't recall when the Navy turned it over to the town of North Kingstown). NKGC was in fantastic shape this summer...nearly private course like, despite all of the play it gets.

Other courses I've played include Warwick CC, Quidnessett CC, Alpine, Kirkbrea, West Warwick GC, Cranston, Newport CC, Wannamoisset, the late great Metacomet, etc. Some great courses in RI. Among other things, Donald Ross had his summer home here. Rumor has it that Ross designed the Goddard State Park 9-holer.

What about you?

Good luck. Being 60 and fair skinned I unfortunately have had my share. Never fun.
The most important thing is to get skin exams at least once a year and every 6 months if you have had melanoma every 6 months. I had my first melanoma removed and fortunately the doc found it while in stage 1. These melanoma’s are usually on the shoulders of men (legs of women) and are from sever sunburns from when we were young and used little protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I've had MOHS surgery on a Basil Cell Carcinoma on the left side of my scalp in an area that is covered by my golf hat. Go figure! I had radiation to remove a Basil Cell Carcinoma on my right forearm. No melanoma but I definitely get a yearly full body screening at least one per year after the typical golf season. In fact, I just had my screening for this year on Monday, 6 months after a follow-up on a mole being removed 9non-cancerous). Can't emphasize enough to do self checks then get a formal screening at least once a year.

I've had MOHS surgery on a Basil Cell Carcinoma on the left side of my scalp in an area that is covered by my golf hat. Go figure! I had radiation to remove a Basil Cell Carcinoma on my right forearm. No melanoma but I definitely get a yearly full body screening at least one per year after the typical golf season. In fact, I just had my screening for this year on Monday, 6 months after a follow-up on a mole being removed 9non-cancerous). Can't emphasize enough to do self checks then get a formal screening at least once a year.

f65dafc92e4c092bbf25a51fbfe0eb38.jpg

Here is what my melanoma looked like before it was removed. Be on the lookout for dark irregular moles. Unfortunately for men it is hard to see on shoulders and you should have someone look for you.

67 years old now, played a lot 20 years ago, only played a couple of times a year for the last 20 due to a long commute to work. But getting back into it since retiring.
Trying for more consistency now rather than distance, no more being able to hit a 5 iron 200 yards. Still have 4-gw irons, and a 3 hybrid. Playing the gold tees is a lot more exciting, I can get close to the green in 2 on par 5s. But still play the whites with younger friends, or when we go to a new course. If the gold par 4s are averaging 325 - 350, I'd rather play the whites for more variety.

Went to graphite shafts so my clubs will be usable for a few years.

Major change is how crowded many courses are with the number of course closures, and Covid seeming to get more people out playing.

What courses do you play in RI?

I used to play all around the R.I. back in the 80's & 90's

Mostly North Kingstown Golf Course, which you might recall as Quonset Point Naval golf course (I don't recall when the Navy turned it over to the town of North Kingstown). NKGC was in fantastic shape this summer...nearly private course like, despite all of the play it gets.

Other courses I've played include Warwick CC, Quidnessett CC, Alpine, Kirkbrea, West Warwick GC, Cranston, Newport CC, Wannamoisset, the late great Metacomet, etc. Some great courses in RI. Among other things, Donald Ross had his summer home here. Rumor has it that Ross designed the Goddard State Park 9-holer.

What about you?

North Kingston (Quonset Point back then)
MeadowBrook
Laural Lane
Metacomet
Winnipaug
Elmridge....just across the state line in Ct.
Misquamicut

A couple others that I can't remember the names of.

Golf needs to be fun at 67. On a long course I've moved up to the senior tees and that's diffidently more fun. I was tired of hitting a drive 220 and being 60 yards behind the senior tee player. I tried graphite shafts in my irons and was hitting a 7 iron 155 again, but struggled with accuracy. Light steel shafts allowed me to win closest to the pins again with a 6 iron at that distance. Technology in some of the new heads from Ping and Srixon allow for less distance loss. Got a GAPR 18* and 21* and took out the 4 wood. Hit the 18 about 190 and turned up the 21 to 22.5*. Couldn't hit a green from to 240 if my life depended on it so now try a 7 iron and gap wedge. Better to take a full swing from 100 yards than to try to hit a delicate 60 yard pitch with no spin. Trying to play smarter at this age. Had a magical day this summer and shot 1 under for 9 first time ever. I get some grief from some of the other seniors who don't hit it as far, but they were kicking my butt when I played the whites. Play from a tee that allows you to enjoy the game. I checked my ego at the door a year ago.

67 years old now, played a lot 20 years ago, only played a couple of times a year for the last 20 due to a long commute to work. But getting back into it since retiring.
Trying for more consistency now rather than distance, no more being able to hit a 5 iron 200 yards. Still have 4-gw irons, and a 3 hybrid. Playing the gold tees is a lot more exciting, I can get close to the green in 2 on par 5s. But still play the whites with younger friends, or when we go to a new course. If the gold par 4s are averaging 325 - 350, I'd rather play the whites for more variety.

Went to graphite shafts so my clubs will be usable for a few years.

Major change is how crowded many courses are with the number of course closures, and Covid seeming to get more people out playing.

Welcome to THP! Definitely a lot fewer courses to play around here. I’ve lost 3 of my favorites in the past few years.

The young whipper-snappers have a new thread asking if anyone has shot their age...mostly for 9 holes. Thought it would be great to bring it up here with the traditional definition. Anyone shot their age for 18 holes on a par 70 or above course? Getting close?

63 hit balls yesterday and going to the gym a lot. I am doing cycling now three days in a row plus other things. Trying to get some speed back in swing and starting to get some back after some injuries and a long lay off. Being fit for some PXG clubs on a Veterans discount also helped - went light and an inch long on everything and it is working well so far.

I've actually just gone to a setup where my hybrid and iron shafts are a little bit heavier, and the shafts are a little shorter. I was playing Rogue X hybrids and shafts with regular flex Aldila Synergy 60 gram shafts. I'm now in PXG 0211 irons with MMT70 (73 gram) regular flex shaft.
My Rogue X 4 hybrid was 20*, and went too far to gap with my 23* 5 iron, so I'm hoping some new Cobra F9 hybrids to help with that. They have shorter shafts also, and 70 gram Atmos Black shafts.
We'll see how they work out. Worst case, I have the 90 day playability, and the new Titleist and Ping hybrids should be out by then.

Last edited:
The young whipper-snappers have a new thread asking if anyone has shot their age...mostly for 9 holes. Thought it would be great to bring it up here with the traditional definition. Anyone shot their age for 18 holes on a par 70 or above course? Getting close?
What would you consider to be close? It’s such a fine line. As the years creep along, the golf score must begin to creep, don’t they? At what point did participants on this thread start to see their ability to score decline? I am weeks away from turning 60 and I improved this year, but I wonder how much longer that can continue.

My body says 85 my mind says 35......so there's that! ;)
That is so much how I feel. One day, my swing speed is pretty good still. Another day, I am thinking, “WTH?” It is up and down.

What would you consider to be close? It’s such a fine line. As the years creep along, the golf score must begin to creep, don’t they? At what point did participants on this thread start to see their ability to score decline? I am weeks away from turning 60 and I improved this year, but I wonder how much longer that can continue.

Well I'll answer that by sharing my story.

Last year I got within 3 shots of doing so--a 65 at age 62. I get what you said about at some point both your scores as well as your age are going to creep. But then, that is what makes this such a challenge. I think I've got a shot, but it hasn't happened yet. I find it a great motivator to stay in shape and keep working on my game.

Seems to me if you play the correct tee box your scores will stay fairly consistent as you age...IF your body allows you to play to your ability. My friends who are 80 and 82 play all the way up and on the good days can go into the 70's but it is all dependent on how things are working that day.

I have not lost much distance in the last few years but I think that is due mostly to technology and health, lately the drop off has been pretty noticeable but that is again due to health going the other way on me. Went to the Knee doctor yesterday and a MRI is scheduled for the 12th to confirm and pinpoint the tear so he can go in and get it cleaned up.

Today I can't hardly walk after going to Home depot and getting the wife 45 border rocks (5 lbs each) for the back yard.....joy oh joy..off to the Chiropractor this morning..

Well I'll answer that by sharing my story.

Last year I got within 3 shots of doing so--a 65 at age 62. I get what you said about at some point both your scores as well as your age are going to creep. But then, that is what makes this such a challenge. I think I've got a shot, but it hasn't happened yet. I find it a great motivator to stay in shape and keep working on my game.

You will easily shoot your age at this rate if you stay healthy. Most guys I play with that shoot their age are 76-80.
Stay healthy!

I turned 70 end of August. I didn't start playing until mid-40. Bogey golf was about the best I got before life changes took me away from playing regular for several years. I started playing regular at least weekly this summer and gradually getting close to breaking 90. If my score and age ever meet I will have to improve score considerably in next few years or maintain current playing level and health for another 20 years. Wouldn't mind another 20 years of golf.:giggle:

I remember when I was 55. Wait.... no I don’t.

I do - that was the year of divorce and quad bypass time ...

I’m 70 next April and I play hybrids up to 6. All my clubs are senior flex and I can just about get to the green in regulation plus 1 on all but the longest holes. Ironically, the worst aspect if my game is one where the distance you can hit doesn’t matter ... putting.

Yikes! That was a rough year.
Thx

Yes - they wake you up and tell you to start walking down the hall - my body was black and blue, especially the right leg, but they let me go in record time - 5 days.

And they screwed up the surgery, so two years later, I was under again for stents and to redo the plumbing to the heart.

I think the frozen right shoulder after the initial surgery was the worst. Could not raise my right elbow/arm to finish backswing unless I almost screamed - hurt like heck to hit balls - but it loosened things up. Finally had a cortisone shot and Doc said to hold up a golf club over your head with both arm until you scream or for 10 seconds, whichever occurs first. Interesting therapy. Took a year to unfreeze it.

After 50, I'd suggest a blood test and at 55, see a cardiologist and see if statins are appropriate. I'm on generic Crestor - only 5 mg, aspirin and metropolol - which does something - need to look it up again.

You hear these stories about golfers dying of a heart attack on the golf course. Well, on the morning of, it was my son's birthday, we were playing a round together, and uncontrollable angina (light constant pressure) set in. I told him to leave me off at the car at the turn and I drove myself to Doc, who said, "Hey, you're having a heart attack." Great, I say, "what do we do now."

Last edited:
Back