The 60 and over Thread

Speaking of the easy button.... Did you know that Ping makes hybrids in the 425 line from 2 (17 degrees) thru 7 (34 degrees)? I'm not talking about hybrid irons, I'm talking about hybrids. And you can adjust the lie angle on them. I have their 4 (22 degrees); 5 (26 degrees); and 6 (30 degrees). That 6 goes high and as far as my stronger lofted 7i used to with less effort. I might even go for the 7 later this summer. Yes this is an expensive way to play, but my next iron set will just be four clubs: 8i, 9i, PW, GW.

When finishing my round last night in my 9-hole league, I realized that the only iron which I hit all night was my 9-iron on the 9th (a short Par 4). Most of my second shots were with my 9-wood, 5-hybrid or 6-hybrid, followed by either my 54* or 58* wedge. Although I AM chasing some distance (I'd like to get my drives reliably to 200-yards), I'm thinking that it would be really nice to hit irons into the green occasionally. The senior tees are definitely calling ;).

I was doing the same thing, and asked myself why am I making a difficult game even more difficult? Playing from the senior tees my irons are back in play. :)

Speaking of the easy button.... Did you know that Ping makes hybrids in the 425 line from 2 (17 degrees) thru 7 (34 degrees)? I'm not talking about hybrid irons, I'm talking about hybrids. And you can adjust the lie angle on them. I have their 4 (22 degrees); 5 (26 degrees); and 6 (30 degrees). That 6 goes high and as far as my stronger lofted 7i used to with less effort. I might even go for the 7 later this summer. Yes this is an expensive way to play, but my next iron set will just be four clubs: 8i, 9i, PW, GW.

My first iron is a 7, followed by 25º, 21º, and 17º fairway woods.

I hear you. Right now I have 3-5 hybrids, a 6 ironwood currently on the bench and then 7i - gw. I am thinking about either bringing back the ironwood or going for a 6h.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love my G410 hybrids. I went through a brand agnostic fitting and they came out the top dog for both distance and dispersion.

Played 9 yesterday, before the rain started. Hit driver on first hole, head was lose. I had adjusted it ti last setting. If this don't work, it's 3 wood time. Thought I had put my 3 wood in the bag, in a hurry and didn't look. It was my hybrid 3, so now have 4 wood off the tee. Course was a longer course than home course, made for a long day. Still hit some good tee shots with 4 wood, home course Friday. 3 wood is in the bag this time, and head on driver is tight.

Played 9 today, bad day. Hit behind the ball all day, but I hung in there, Last 2 holes I put the ball further back in my stance and strated hitting the ball instead of the ground. Big difference, I will have to remember my solution to my swing, pared the last 2 holes.

I will have to remember my solution to my swing
I'll sometimes even make notes to myself. Problem for me is, what works one day doesn't work the next! :banghead:

Played 9 today, bad day. Hit behind the ball all day, but I hung in there, Last 2 holes I put the ball further back in my stance and strated hitting the ball instead of the ground. Big difference, I will have to remember my solution to my swing, pared the last 2 holes.
That's a good way to fix it, especially on the course. Here are two others you might want to try.

1. Focus on getting your weight on the front foot at or just before your transition. Two benefits. It moves the low point forward. Increases swing speed.

2. Do a rehearsal taking the club from setup to parallel to the ground making sure the clubhead is OUTSIDE your hands. Ingrain this for the real deal. This too moves the bottom of the swing forward.

I'll sometimes even make notes to myself. Problem for me is, what works one day doesn't work the next! :banghead:

How true that is if only we could remember that each time out Instead of beating ourselves up all day.

You are right , I think my swing changes every time I go out. Have a tee time tomorrow, and hope to have a good day and not a new swing.

What's helped a lot with my driver is the Natural Golf technique by the late Moe Norman. Try to get one plane and drive begins with a tilt back. I don't use all the steps but for the driver this has worked well for me.

But always a work in progress ...

Good golfing ...

Today, started out good then tried to overswing. My swing went south and it was a long day, need to go to driving range and work on swing. What works best for me is a 3/4 swing and not trying to kill it. Now to get it ingrained in my thought and swing pattern. Now time to rest and recharge .

I'm 71. Here are some things that turned my game into a real game over the past 2 years:

-- It started with the Easiest Swing in Golf. (Search videos by Brian Sparks, Sean Herron, Julian Mellor.) That was a revelation in contact and tempo. I customized the swing to a 3/4 backswing, which stopped my OTT move.

-- Slowed my tempo a lot.

-- Switched to the Snell MTB-Black ball. Straight, long drives. Get great spin on greens. Easy on the budget.

-- Switched to clubs with an emphasis on (a) accuracy and (b) feel. Went with a used set of Mizuno MX-23. (I had been playing Eye 2s, before that Hogan Apex Edge...and a long list of irons I'd buy then sell). Love the 23s. Dead straight. Great feel. Finally have my distances dialed in (as best I can).

-- Focussed hard hard hard on putting and chipping. Bought a Odyseey White Hot Rossi a while ago (after blades and a two-ball). Love it. Chipping, I went with a one-club approach, praticing hard. The better I got, the more I realized I needed other clubs to chip once in a while. My game bounces between 80 - 86. Still miss greens and my chipping isn't as good as I think it should be.

-- I moved down to the senior tees, until my buds kicked me back to the whites. It's not hard to be longer than most seniors, but on the whites, the approach shots are a bit too long for me. I find I use my 5 and 4-irons a lot. Need substitutes.

One of the nice things about being 1st off on weekdays is that we play in 2:45 or less even with 5 par 4s/5s being CPO. The bad thing is that watering and or dew in the morning makes for soft fairways and limited roll. I was able to measure the amount of roll on one of the par 4s today as I could see where the ball hit, bounced then started rolling. Total roll was 4 yards! No wonder my average driver distances are taking a nose dive! :( Right now we are playing from the senior tees on those holes that are CPO but I may not want to go back to the whites once they open them up unless conditions change.

I'm 71. Here are some things that turned my game into a real game over the past 2 years:

-- It started with the Easiest Swing in Golf. (Search videos by Brian Sparks, Sean Herron, Julian Mellor.) That was a revelation in contact and tempo. I customized the swing to a 3/4 backswing, which stopped my OTT move.

-- Slowed my tempo a lot.

-- Switched to the Snell MTB-Black ball. Straight, long drives. Get great spin on greens. Easy on the budget.

-- Switched to clubs with an emphasis on (a) accuracy and (b) feel. Went with a used set of Mizuno MX-23. (I had been playing Eye 2s, before that Hogan Apex Edge...and a long list of irons I'd buy then sell). Love the 23s. Dead straight. Great feel. Finally have my distances dialed in (as best I can).

-- Focussed hard hard hard on putting and chipping. Bought a Odyseey White Hot Rossi a while ago (after blades and a two-ball). Love it. Chipping, I went with a one-club approach, praticing hard. The better I got, the more I realized I needed other clubs to chip once in a while. My game bounces between 80 - 86. Still miss greens and my chipping isn't as good as I think it should be.

-- I moved down to the senior tees, until my buds kicked me back to the whites. It's not hard to be longer than most seniors, but on the whites, the approach shots are a bit too long for me. I find I use my 5 and 4-irons a lot. Need substitutes.

I play the senior tees. It's my game, not anyone else's. If someone wants me to move back, they can pay my green fees. :)

I have a ten year old Ping hybrid that is 31 degrees. It says its a 7 but that loft seems more like a 6. I stopped using it a couple years ago because I wanted to use the 6 iron. Yesterday I started using it again and it was the best club in the bag. Consistently in the 160-170 range and mostly straight. One had just a little drift to the right. The rest were dead on.

Another THP thread reminded me of this.

This past weekend while at a July 4th party at my daughter house, my "seniorness" kind of dug in a little deeper.

I'm got caught up watching my youngest Daughter, and my semi grown Granddaughters.

One is a junior in highschool this coming year, but she will be attending the local Community Colledge instead. She will earn her Associate's degree before her HS diploma. She'll play golf, and Cheerlead for her HS.

The youngest (15 years old) will be a Sophmore this year. She'll follow in her sisters foot steps with the Community Colledge deal. She'll be playing basketball, track this coming year.

Then I got to noticing my Daughter's other guests. They are all in their 40s now. Some of these young 40 year olds I coached in baseball, and softball. Some I employed when they got old enough. I can still out play them all on a golf course though.

My wife baby sat some of them for free while their parents worked hard to make ends meet. She even applied her nursing skills when they became sick, or injured. Heck, I even changed a few diapers myself.

My wife and I are now "spectators" more than anything else. We still get called Grandma, and Grandpa in loving tones, but the youngsters are doing their own things now. I'm still chuckling over my Youngest (42 year old) daughter puffing on a cigar, sipping wine, with her Husband, and life long friends in her swimming pool.

Sitting, and watching the fruits of our labors grown up, we have determined that inspite of our own mistakes, we actually did pretty good.

I’m 63 and a terribly short hitter. But I am still stubbornly playing from the white tees. Realistically I should not be playing longer courses than about 5,800, but I am trying to break 100 from the white tees on most of my local courses.

This time next year I may have a different story though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I gave up on the white tees 5 years ago, when I relized I was hitting fw and long irons or hybrids in to greens. And was lucky if I made bogey, most of the time it was double or worst. Senior tees made golf enjoyable again, now if I could jusy get my swing back . It would be enjoyable again.

See you all in one week.

62 years old and have been obsessing with improvement for the last 10 years. What is a good way to turn this off and just play and accept the results? My wife calls me a good player. But, I still top the ball, lack distance, slice and have some decent shots, too. Senior tees would help. But, that would put me at an unfair advantage playing with my wife. Also, my son. The two I usually play with. Not that it is a competition. Just trying to keep our tee distances similar. I've taken lessons and really haven't learned anything different than I already know being a student of the game for 40+ years.

I'm 69 and my game has degraded severely. I have moved up to the Gold tees and that has helped in most cases. I don't have a lot of time to practice as we always have company visiting us here at the Lake, but I do what I can. My grand children have moved to the top of my list for extra curricular activities and I do get out wit my Daughter but not as much as I would like. The real problem is with the league that I play in, it's a small league that is comprised of current and ex employees of the Hospital and you have to play from the White, of course the women who play, play from the Red. Anyway, Iv'e asked about moving forward and I am always told no, but then they complain when they have to give me so many strokes. I personally don't think that it's fair and I'm not the only Older person who feels this way. OK that's better I needed to get that off my chest. Back to the Whites on Thursday evenings.

Back