JMB3

Reaction score
The 7 wood seems to be an incredibly popular club at the moment, even showing up in tour bags (DJ, Fitzy, Hatton, etc.). Do you bag one? If so, which model and why? And where does the 7W fit in your bag? I am hoping you guys can help me figure out a slot in my bag for 2021.

As someone who has played four iterations of the Callaway Heavenwood, I can appreciate a high-lofted fairway wood. The last several iterations have been absolute bombers. But that's not what I'm looking for at the moment. I'm looking more from what I experienced with the V-Series Heavenwood: A fairway wood you can launch really high and stop relatively quickly on the green.

I thought more about a 7 wood this past weekend. I love my new Apex 4H, and I hit hybrids really well off the tee. But I tend to hit them more like fairway woods, so I don't quite get the launch/spin others do. I thought I should consider a 7w to cycle in and out of the bag against my 4H depending on the course: on some days, I'd go D/3+/5/7w and then into a 5H or 5i. I did happen to find some 7w reviews on YouTube--all on the G425 fairway, oddly. And it seemed that everyone was using the 7W to replace a 5W or 3H. I really have no intention of taking my Mavrik Max 5W out of the bag. And if I went with the G425, for example, I would have 5.5* of loft difference between the 7W and 5H and 2" in shaft length--that seems like it'd create quite a distance gap. Maybe go with a 9w (23.5*) to replace the 4h? What do you guys think?

The 7 wood seems to be an incredibly popular club at the moment, even showing up in tour bags (DJ, Fitzy, Hatton, etc.).

Modern 7-woods have long shafts so the distance Tour pros get from a 7-wood is comparable to what they formerly got with a 5-wood.
I believe modern 5-woods are comparable to older 3-woods and modern 3-woods produce driver-like distance.

Srixon 7W and swap it out with the 4H. It is longer than the 4H, but works for some of the courses I play.

I will likely have a 7w at some point this year but haven't pulled the trigger on one yet. I don't love the clubs I own that gap between my 5i and 5w.

Modern 7-woods have long shafts so the distance Tour pros get from a 7-wood is comparable to what they formerly got with a 5-wood.
I believe modern 5-woods are comparable to older 3-woods and modern 3-woods produce driver-like distance.

That does seem to be the case, which has me considering a 9w.

Right now I swap between an F7 7 wood and a cleveland hb launcher 4 iron. Those f7 fairways are still amazing till this day. Before I went and got my launcher set for my "fun bag", I tried to find a way to go up to like a 13 wood. Love fairways and in arizona, in the summer, it's very tempting to take that fairway height over irons because of how dried out the average public course gets.

My setup now goes 3w, a 5w dialed up to 20 (who doesn't want a sub zero heavenwood) and then my 24 degree hybrid. I've been using a 20-21 degree fairway wood in the bag since 2005. It's the club that I have zero trouble hitting it sky high and stopping into long par 3's, 4's, and a par 5 in two. It's always filled the gap between 4H and 3w with little issue. I just love how I can freakin send it and there's no doubt it's gonna hold any sort of green.

I just purchased a PXG 0211 7 Wood. Wanted to experiment between having that or a hybrid in the bag. I like the looks of it and a big fan of the Diamana Limited shaft that I have in it. Also being able to take advantage of the Heroes pricing on it made it hard to pass up.

I've yet to hit it so I can't give you any thoughts. I too had gamed a Heavenwood years ago and thought about putting something like that back in the bag, but it seemed really hard to find a heavenwood with a stiff shaft in it. Maybe that's by design.

Anyway - I'm heading to XGolf this weekend so I'll let you know how the PXG performs. I

I prefer the 7 wood to hybrid. I get more height out of the 7 wood and feel more comfortable with it

My setup now goes 3w, a 5w dialed up to 20 (who doesn't want a sub zero heavenwood) and then my 24 degree hybrid. I've been using a 20-21 degree fairway wood in the bag since 2005. It's the club that I have zero trouble hitting it sky high and stopping into long par 3's, 4's, and a par 5 in two. It's always filled the gap between 4H and 3w with little issue. I just love how I can freakin send it and there's no doubt it's gonna hold any sort of green.
Thats what I ended up doing with my 5 wood. I have a 7 wood length shaft in it and its set up at 19 degrees. I was looking at a 7 wood but I was hitting the 5 wood better and more at the numbers I wanted. I actually like the bigger looking head of the 5 wood.

Recently ordered a Mavrik Max from CPO, haven't tested it out yet but can't wait to try it.

but it seemed really hard to find a heavenwood with a stiff shaft in it. Maybe that's by design.

I am definitely curious if you'll see more options for these higher lofted woods as more pros go into them. If you take the cross section of how many 7 woods actually get sold these days, an even smaller percentage have stiff shafts. As the younger generation of golfers adopt them more, I would expect them to have more stock options with stiff shafts. That being said, it feels completely different today than it did 3-5 years ago when everyone was talking about driving irons and now I'm seeing more love for 5 woods.

I don't know what i'd do with it. I've never been mid-round and said to myself "dang, I could really use a 7-wood here". 🤷‍♂️

I’m definitely going 7w this year. I have a Callaway XR (I think?) that I swap in and out depending on how I’m feeling. Is almost like cheating when my swing is working, launches super high and stops fast on greens. Is also great out of the rough and low lipped fairway bunkers.

I used to play a 7 wood. However, I have had much more consistency with hitting a 4 hybrid. The flight and consistent trajectory have worked for me from more locations than when I used a 7 wood.

I carry one, and I rely heavily on it. It's basically my go to, get out of jail club, in pretty much all good, and poor situations. I'm happy using it for any shot from putting, up to 160 c & r yards. If I lean on it a little, I can go 170 yards c & r.

It's my putter in 3 Club tournaments. I can also use it for longer, 1/2 swing pitches, and putting stroke chips.

The head is a component made by KB, which at the time I think stood for Killer Bees. Just not sure, since it's been a while. .

The shaft is is fitted to my swing, and has a generic grip on it.

My 7w is a square head, low profile model. All my woods (D-7W are the same KB model. I like the square, low profile heads because in my mind, they are easier to hit off the turf. This is especially true with my driver. (Another story) I also think they resist twisting at ball impact, a little better than the more rounded shape clubs.

In my bag, my next club after the 7w is my 5i.

I liked this club so well, I had a second one made for a spare. That was 10+ years ago, and the spare is still unused, and in it's wrapper.

I have old no name brand 7 & 9 woods I like to play around with that are both super high lofted (can't remember but I think the 9 is like 32* or something like that). They both shoot up in the air super easy from almost anywhere and are great for the par 3's on the course. My bag goes from driver to 3H-4H to 4i and I'll take the 3H out when I put either the 7w or 9w in.

The most important thing to identify with the top end of your bag is whether you favor irons, hybrids or fairway woods as each of them require certain dynamics to optimize their potential. The thing with PGA players that makes it tough for us mere mortals to adopt their gear is that they are so good at hitting specific shots/trajectories. On top of that, their clubs often are exchanged for others based on their needs for the course they are playing that week.

On top of that, their clubs often are exchanged for others based on their needs for the course they are playing that week.
@JMB3 doesn't have a shortage of clubs. :ROFLMAO:

Srixon 7W and swap it out with the 4H. It is longer than the 4H, but works for some of the courses I play.

Which Srixon?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i thought about it this year, but i'm not sure my gapping requires it. i think driver > 5w > 4h gaps correctly right now, especially with inconsistencies from strike to strike. i do like the idea of more mass low and deep for easier launch in that distance range. the biggest hesitation for me at that loft and design is draw bias.

i thought about it this year, but i'm not sure my gapping requires it. i think driver > 5w > 4h gaps correctly right now, especially with inconsistencies from strike to strike. i do like the idea of more mass low and deep for easier launch in that distance range. the biggest hesitation for me at that loft and design is draw bias.

What's your 5w loft?

Timely post.... I just put my Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood in the bag for a range session and took out my Callaway Big Bertha 4H. Both are 21 degrees loft at standard setting. The shaft is longer on the 7 wood. I clearly get higher trajectory with the 7 wood over the 4H. Probably a better choice for longish par 3's and long par 4 approaches. The 4H is a fairway finder when I just need one down the middle on a par 5 that I can't reach in 2.

Timely post.... I just put my Callaway Epic Flash 7 wood in the bag for a range session and took out my Callaway Big Bertha 4H. Both are 21 degrees loft at standard setting. The shaft is longer on the 7 wood. I clearly get higher trajectory with the 7 wood over the 4H. Probably a better choice for longish par 3's and long par 4 approaches. The 4H is a fairway finder when I just need one down the middle on a par 5 that I can't reach in 2.

This is exactly what I’d like as options. 4H has been so good for me off the tee when I need to find a fairway. I’d love to be able to cycle between that and a high lofted FW depending on the course and state of my tee game.

Back