Jman

Here for the Conversation
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
SOFTCAPPED
Alright, it appears this is going to be a hot ticket club for a lot of guys in the US Open, and it got me thinking, I know we have a couple here who rock a 7w, has anyone else considered it? What’s the draw to it for you?

I tried a Ping G425 Max 7 wood to replace my 3-4 iron, but could not hit it well for the life of me. I don't know why... It would have been my fairway wood as opposed to off the tee in most cases. Just didn't do it for me. Had high hopes, but was not the one. I do however think it would help a lot of golfers on those longer iron yardage needed shots.

7wd vs 3 hybrid

I hit better shots with the 7wd......consistently better shots. Thinks it boils down to just how confident one is using fairways

Everytime I pull out the 7wd or 9wd I'm like

Attachments

• giphy-downsized-large.gif
    giphy-downsized-large.gif
    6.3 MB · Views: 32
Really seriously considering replacing my hybrid with one. I hit my 5w way more consistently than I hit my hybrid.

I'll either do that or switch to a different profile hybrid.

Really want to try a 7w though.

• Staff
Really seriously considering replacing my hybrid with one. I hit my 5w way more consistently than I hit my hybrid.

I'll either do that or switch to a different profile hybrid.

Really want to try a 7w though.
Im in the same camp. Doesn’t hurt that I hit my 5w so damn long that I know they’d gap well.

7W is just fun and easy to hit. I tried a Srixon 7w this year but seemed to draw bias to me. Hoping to try a Ping 7w soon.

If I didn't have a Super Hybrid at 20*, I'd absolutely have a 7w. The Super essentially is a fairway wood. It's easier to hit into greens than a utility or 4i, but gives me similar distance overall.

This is my first time gaming a 7 wood. So far, its been really fun. Easier launch and apex than a hybrid, with out the occasional left miss….which is really great. I’ve also found it pretty easy to flight down.

If anyone is struggling with the hybrid, it’s absolutely worth a look. I grabbed mine used and threw a backup X flex in it (Aldila Tour Blue 7X). Hard to find a 7 wood with an X shaft! 😝

Last edited:
My 9-wood is among my favorite clubs in the bag. It is good from all sorts of lies and can be hit high or low.

So…I started the thread and now I want one :LOL:

@Jman you are welcome to try the one I purchased. Ping G425 Max (-1/2") Alta CB 65 Stiff. I am going to try and sell it anyways.

So far, the +/- 2-inch shorter shaft length has led me to prefer a 3H over a 7W. Just find it easier to work the ball with the shorter shaft.

I have one. Guy in my group tried it now he has one. He used it for the first time today and hit it great. Just such a great club off the fairway, out of the rough . Love the versatility of this club.

I put a 7 wood in my bag this year and love it.. stupid easy to hit. Launches high and goes straight. I can hit it low but it is not as easy as just launching it..

I got the tsi2 7 wood cranked it down to 20.25 loft put a ventus red 9x in it and it is just awesome. I am looking at the new Accra shaft and an option for this club. I think they could match well..

@Jman if you don’t have one by the mizuno experience you for sure can try mine to see if it wets your whistle..

I put a 7 wood in my bag this year and love it.. stupid easy to hit. Launches high and goes straight. I can hit it low but it is not as easy as just launching it..

I got the tsi2 7 wood cranked it down to 20.25 loft put a ventus red 9x in it and it is just awesome. I am looking at the new Accra shaft and an option for this club. I think they could match well..

@Jman if you don’t have one by the mizuno experience you for sure can try mine to see if it wets your whistle..
Let’s be real. I’ll ho one this weekend :LOL:

Not for me. I would assume a 7 wood would replace my 5 hybrid. That hybrid is so ridiculously easy to hit it won’t be getting replaced anytime soon.

Not for me. I would assume a 7 wood would replace my 5 hybrid. That hybrid is so ridiculously easy to hit it won’t be getting replaced anytime soon.
I think the 7w would be longer than you’d expect.

I did go to a 4 hybrid, replacing the 7 wood. For me, it was 100% easier to hit. Especially off the deck. I have heard my different stories from others using a 7 wood instead of hybrids. To each their own, but the hybrid worked head and shoulders better for me.

I think the 7w would be longer than you’d expect.

Haha, not in my hands. Looking at my stats, my 4 hybrid and heavenwood aren’t that far apart. I would assume the heavenwood would be a little longer than a 7 wood. I’d need the 7 wood to sit between the driver and 4 hybrid, and I’m not sure it would. I’d have no problem gaming it if it did offer me some extra length.

I’ve toyed with some old 7, 9, and 11 woods. They are super easy to hit but haven’t tried anything remotely new. My old 3 hybrid is a relatively easy to hit and I can get pretty good distance with it. But, I’ve seriously thought about grabbing one.

Haha, not in my hands. Looking at my stats, my 4 hybrid and heavenwood aren’t that far apart. I would assume the heavenwood would be a little longer than a 7 wood. I’d need the 7 wood to sit between the driver and 4 hybrid, and I’m not sure it would. I’d have no problem gaming it if it did offer me some extra length.
Heavenwood basically is a 7w

I got one today in my Morgan Cup setup. Went to the local simulator and it launches so easily. Ball flight is higher than my 21 degree higher and flies about 8-10 yards more playing the exact loft.

Heavenwood basically is a 7w

Ok, well, if anyone wants my heavenwood, they will have to kill me first, so I won’t be gaming a 7 wood LOL.

Back