"The almost best round you have ever had"

A few years ago I made the turn in 32 but stopped to have a sandwich. The golfer who came out for the back 9 after his sandwich was not the same guy haha. Lesson learned to keep on playing.

I shot 80 two weeks ago on very bumpy areated greens and made nothing. My best day of ball striking in my 30 plus years.

but technically, a terrible 90's golfer caught lightening in a bottle some 25 years and dropped a 74 on a long but straight forward course. It was like the sea's parted and I walked through the water. When I drove it into the next fairway I still had clean look at the green. once on the green, i was dropping 25foot putts and at that time I could not putt. I'm a far better golfer now and likely will never see that score again.

Ugh. I’m still mad.

-4 heading into 17, it’s drivable. Went for it, hit it in the ravine that guards the green on three sides, then hit the drop into it again, ended up quad on that hole. Par on 18, for around of even par.

I’m a 6.6 hdcp, but back in January I was a 8-9 hdcp. One round, I was even on the front, and +1 thru 14. Ended up going bogey-bogey-double bogey-par to finish at +5 (which tied my career best). I was gutted. The temp got really low after the sun set behind the trees, but that’s still not enough of a reason for that type of finish. I’ve had a couple of +3 and +4 rounds since then, but that one still bothers me.

I was all set to have my career best round last fall until we hit 18 where the group ahead was playing really slow and it was getting dark. I lost rhythm during the wait and sliced my driver horribly and then put my next shot in the water and took a quadruple bogey to finish the round.

Ugh. I’m still mad.

-4 heading into 17, it’s drivable. Went for it, hit it in the ravine that guards the green on three sides, then hit the drop into it again, ended up quad on that hole. Par on 18, for around of even par.

Tin cup would be super proud as am I. Just go for it:)

Shot 6 under on my home course front 9....

Shot 4 under for the day. Could have been a silly one.

I had a shot at 88 going into 18. I literally hate this hole. It's the lighting. I cannot judge the distances here. I need a range finder with slope to play this hole because I'm either short or long on my approach every single time. And that f***ing green. The way the light is on it makes it difficult to read except if you get to the course early in the morning and end up there around 11 am. It's not long either... 340 yds. and straight in. But the hole is like an hour glass. It narrows at 180 then opens up again.

So I hit my tee shot... I played it safe and used my 3W and hit a stinger down the right side of the fairway about 240 yds. Left me 100 yds out. Was the green above me or below me. Part of it was below and part above. GW onto the green. At least it should have been a GW. I could have hit a PW but that might have been long and you don't want to be long and chip on from there because it's downhill. I couldn't tell the elevation. Or was it a 54? That might be short, though. I had my GW in hand while waiting for the group to clear. I put it back and pulled the PW. Then pulled the 54. No. It's the GW. I hit a full GW... a little heavy... into the right front bunker. I should have hit the PW, I would have hit it perfect and it would have been long. I just know it.

Then I got out onto the fringe. Lousy shot. Putting to save par. Or rather "chipping" to save par. It's uphill. I paced off the putt. Checked the break with my feet, and gave it a solid hit. Putting on poa annua greens in the afternoon can be a challenge. They're great in the morning, but the grass grows in clumps and by 5 in the afternoon the clumps tend to make the green rather bumpy. The ball caught one of those clumps at the wrong angle and popped up into the air, lost all momentum and settled at 15 feet from the hole. This was before the "you can tamp down spike marks" rule. Tiger's putt along that line would have had a lawn mower in front of it that trimmed the clump as the ball approached. What am I thinking? He wouldn't have even played this goat track. Now putting for bogey. I could still break 90 and tie my PB if I got lucky. I was still away on the putt so it was USGA - U Suck Go Again. Of course I missed the putt and ended up with a tap in for double bogey and my usual 90.

Started Birdie, Eagle, Birdie… At Pebble Beach. 4 under after 3!!! I’m going for the course record!!! Well… maybe not. Kind of scrapped around the rest of the day (no doubles), and needed a tricky downhill 12 footer on 18 for 79 (so I realized afterwards when I tallied up). In front of the tourist gallery having lunch on the balcony overlooking the green. And this after the wedge shot that got some golf claps from the folks. Walked up to the green noting the contours, marked my ball and just kind of took it all in and looked around while my partners did their chipping and such. I took the simple approach. “See the line, putt the ball”. If I had KNOWN it was for the 79, no chance. Curled in the side door. BIRDIE!!! Arms up and another smattering of applause from the gallery.

Years ago, in my early 50's, I was playing an after work round with my boss. Everything was in synch! We got to the 14th hole at Quailbrook GC in central Jersey and I was two under par! The round of a lifetime! Darkness forced us to quit.:( Maybe it was for the good as I probably would have gotten so excited and double-bogeyed the rest of the holes.

I birdied 4 holes in a round twice last year, and didn't break 80 in either.

This one stung more of the two:
1619646112517.png

+3 thru 14 and I'm just off the fairway on 15 with a GW in hand, then proceed to go 6-over the last 4 holes.

It's always nice to follow-up a birdie with a double-bogey. Three times.

Last edited:
couple of years ago i was playing a local course where the front 9 was much tougher then the back 9. for some reason i was on that day...through the first 9 was only 2 over. then the back 9 came and i ended up 18 over for the round....:sick:

Ten years ago I needed to make birdie on the 18th to shot my age. Beautiful drive down the middle left me with a 160 yd hybrid that I went pin hunting and dumped it in the left bunker. Ended up with a double bogey and a par 72. My best to date score on this course, but it felt like I just shot 90 instead.

This past Saturday I was 1 under after 13 holes,. Then an OB tee shot lead to a double. I went par, birdie,par, par for an even 72. The lowest I have ever shot was 71. And I could have beat it minus that bad tee shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Back when +1 was my PB, I arrived at 18 tee sitting pretty at -2 through 17.

I mean, it was "my day" as my buddy Kevin was saying all round. And I believed it.

Then, it was NOT forecasted, but the skies opened up. It was raining, and HARD. The kind of rain where keeping hands and grips somewhat dry, is completely impossible.

Kevin checked and said that the weather app's map doesn't even show precipitation. We waited maybe 10 minutes, it wasn't gonna stop.

The kicker is, give me a pair of rain gloves and I'm a really good player in the rain. Some of my best rounds have been in the rain.

But I'd just switched bags and I left my darned rain gloves in the other one.

Ok, I gotta quicken to the plot. Decided to give it a go the best I could.

Duck hooked my drive OB. Kevin gave me those Bernie Mac eyes of his like, "sorry playah! But did I just see that?"

Re-tee'd, another hellacious hook but this one stopped short of OB. Resting 3 in the left rough.

4th shot? Well, excuses, excuses but the grip did slip in my hand the ball squirted right and toward and into red stake land. Found it, just in, but decidedly unplayable.

Drop, 6th shot on, 2-putt for quadruple bogey.

Forget about sub-par, forget about par. But I couldn't even match my PB of +1 after being -2 thru 17.

More kickers...

On the drive up to the clubhouse, the rain STOPS. Not only that but golden sunshine quickly washes across all the land. The 18th hole, my individual hell, was now a glistening emerald oasis of spirited hopes and dreams.

...and when I get home I go straight to my former bag to dig out those darned rain gloves, dangit.

Only, I can't find them. And why is that, you may ask?

Because they were in my new bag the entire time!!! Only, I absentmindedly must've put them in a pocket that I didn't think to check.

I may type this emoji, , but the tears are REAL!!!

(all's well that ends well, though. Not very long afterwards, I shattered my former PB by 5 strokes when finishing -4. Went on to post a handful of other rounds under par that year too.)

So a turns to a .

Best 9 holes was -3

Best 18 holes was even par with bogeys on the last two holes. Ug.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I birdied 4 holes in a round twice last year, and didn't break 80 in either.

This one stung more of the two:
View attachment 9005710

+3 thru 14 and I'm just off the fairway on 15 with a GW in hand, then proceed to go 6-over the last 4 holes.

It's always nice to follow-up a birdie with a double-bogey. Three times.
I know the feeling. I was 4 over par thru 15 holes and doubled the last 3 holes to go 10 over, 82. I find it hard to finish rounds.

Back