The Art of Balance

Been balancing on one leg , slightly bent, for at least 30 seconds...alternating legs...two or three sets, twice a week

Getting older is crap

Karate. Or other marital arts training that increases whole body awareness and coordination.

Golf Specific - narrow stance. Feel the proper weighting of back foot instep on the backswing, transitioning to forward instep on the downswing. Hit balls to a balanced follow-through. This is also good for tempo... speed is not the point in this drill, work up to it.

leg strength exercises work wonders for balance. If you can't support your own weight, it's hard to balance. My balance is pretty solid in general, but I notice when I've been strength training with my legs more that my balance improves a lot.

Balance and the golf swing are two things that are so important. Getting through the ball without the falling backwards or weight shifting backwards have caused many golfers issues. What do you do to work on balance and get through the swing properly.

Address technique; grip, posture, and alignment. If those fundamentals are good, my swing balance is good.
The only time I seem to have balance issues is off of sloped lies.

I use a power up wedge (.com) and before that a modified 2x6. Virtually eliminated backswaying and increased power. For shortgame rangework I pivot to my left side and practice staying there.

Playing sports growing up, we worked on balance drills all the time. Especially with hockey and doing weight transfer skills while working on shots.

I feel like balance is actually one area where I’m pretty comfortable.

That said, I do my best to stretch and warm up properly before playing. I find this promotes those familiar “grounded” feelings in my legs and feet.

I do exercises where I balance on 1 foot with my eyes closed. I also do 1 legged, pistol squats. Balance is huge for so many things, not just golf. Especially as we get older, working on things like balance and flexibility are so important.

Back