The Art of Balance

JB

Follow @THPGolf on Social Media
Albatross 2024 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
Balance and the golf swing are two things that are so important. Getting through the ball without the falling backwards or weight shifting backwards have caused many golfers issues. What do you do to work on balance and get through the swing properly.

I am really looking forward to this. I need to find a way to stop ending up on my toes.

Great topic and something I need to work on big time. I’ll sit back and watch for now haha

Great thread.
I don't do balance work in a gym for example, although it makes perfect sense to.

Curious to read if many folks work on this specifically somehow.

I grew up surfing skateboarding and snowboarding, I also get a ton of my power from my legs, balance is pretty good.

I have a balance board at home that I tinker with every now and then.

as for balance with my golf swing really set the base and swing as hard as I can without losing it.

Very timely thread, JB! I spent my entire range time yesterday working on one thing: keeping pressure on the instep of my right foot to prevent swaying in my backswing. Not only did I stop swaying, but ball contact was much, much better.

I'll be paying close attention to the responses in this one. I have a feeling this is something that causes most of my issues....

The best drill I have found to ensure a good balance shift is to "walk off" the follow through. As you turn through the ball, and finish your swing take two steps out into the range to get the feeling of all of your weight going with you.

I am really looking forward to this. I need to find a way to stop ending up on my toes.
This has been a problem for me lately too. I end up hitting off the heel or worse, shanking it. :(

The best drill I have found to ensure a good balance shift is to "walk off" the follow through. As you turn through the ball, and finish your swing take two steps out into the range to get the feeling of all of your weight going with you.

I have heard this from a few, but to me it can promote getting through the ball early with your hips while the club catches up. Promoting flipping.

I have heard this from a few, but to me it can promote getting through the ball early with your hips while the club catches up. Promoting flipping.
I definitely believe that is a possibility. In truth I only use it when I feel like I'm having trouble making a full turn. I use it to make sure I finish.

I use the ground force trainer. It was kind of a dangerous item, so I doubt they still make it, but wow does it work. Use mine during the winter quite a bit.

I grew up surfing skateboarding and snowboarding, I also get a ton of my power from my legs, balance is pretty good.

I have a balance board at home that I tinker with every now and then.

as for balance with my golf swing really set the base and swing as hard as I can without losing it.

I switched to a standing desk and a whirllyboard balance board at work. My balance has improved on the board dramatically, which in turn has improved my swing balance.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My balance is awful, I am falling over after almost every shot. One day I need to work on this.

This is a drill I use to improve balance.

Swing Balance Drill

Vision54 also has Balance Tension and Timing drills.

If I start to get twisty feet, off balance I do a little drill starting by planting feet in athletic posture and making full swing to pose at half speed. Gradually increase speed with each rep but do not speed if you cannot maintain complete balance throughout the swing. I find that a swing in balance is both more accurate, improved center of clubface impact and thus longer. Works for me when I get out of rhythm and my swing gets too quick.

the only thing i've done is some of the balance exercises from joey d's "fix your body fix your swing" book. honestly, even after many months, i haven't seen any improvement. i blame my dainty little size 8 baby doll feet.

I definitely believe that is a possibility. In truth I only use it when I feel like I'm having trouble making a full turn. I use it to make sure I finish.

I will do this a lot when I feel like I only using my arms and not turning through.

Balance wise, I’m very good at it. Using in the golf swing though I struggle haha. I try to swing too hard a lot because I’m not a long player.

Not so much a balance issue as trusting my right knee after 3 surgeries. Starting my downswing off my right heel by pushing knee out to 2 o'clock to get down into the ball has me leary of injuring the knee again. Not trusting it can cause me all kinds of issues with a balanced follow through.

Balance is super tough for me with my left leg being bum. I constantly try to remind myself to turn even if my leg is hurting. Sub consciously my brain will try to protect from pain and I will fall back or sway instead of turning.

This little machine called a Skiers Edge does the trick for my cardio and balance. It has long ski like poles that came with it but it’s better without them. I’ve also been know to hit balls on the range in my bare feet when my ball striking is in a slump as well.

D70299E3-79C0-46BE-B179-422BFBC2C414.jpeg

Last edited:
Back