ANNOUNCEMENT The Ass Cap

So this might end up being a lengthy post but ever since I found out Clayton was picked as AssHat 3.0 I've been wanting to share this story with everyone even though Clayton may hate me for it hahaha but my journey with The Grandaddy has been one of the best things to ever happen to me personally outside of becoming a father. And it may be corny to say or you may read that and think its a little over the top but its the truth for me.

Golf has always been a passion of mine ever since I was introduced to the game by my father and grandfather. And whats interesting about that is even though those two were there to gift me my first set of clubs and both took me to the course for my first round ever, their relationship was so toxic that even as a 13 year old boy I could tell that when I got older I never wanted to have that type of relationship with my own dad. So I would use golf as a positive for us. We would watch it when we couldnt play. His favorite players became mine (Freddie Couples and Tiger) and golf was a tool used to keep things happy in a house that wasnt always happy for me growing up.

Fast forward to 2015 and I had just arrived in Chicago for seriously one of the best events THP has ever done, The Gauntlet with Callaway Golf. Life was real difficult in my own home and I just needed some time away with good people and I was absolutely blown away by the group the ZooCrew sent out there. People who showed me what it meant to be a good person compounded with THPers that showed me how to use a round of golf as an opportunity to grow relationship. It was one of the best weekends of my life and was where I punched my ticket to the 2015 Grandaddy with the 2019 AssCap MikeG. On that trip I got to meet even more incredible people and forge what are still to this day my very closest relationships I have with people. But that also is where The Grandaddy became such a huge part of my life and from that moment forward, this event was going to mean more to me than just golf. When I was asked to be the first AssCap in 2018 I was floored. I never thought I would have the chance to go back to Hideaway and look at that masterpiece. I never thought I would get to see that clubhouse, those mountains, the perfect greens, the comfort stations, Al and his super fast golf cart blasting music, the most perfect range any course has, or hell even those baskets of coins. But I was afforded that opportunity and couldnt have been more excited for it.

When the 2018 team finally got to Carlsbad to meet up for the first time, it was an interesting dynamic for me as AssCap. Im a part of the team but not really? Im sort of the father figure for the group but they have a captain so am I overstepping? Its such a different way to experience The Grandaddy but just as incredible. Seeing everyone get all excited on fitting day damn well knowing the nerves they are dealing with. Seeing them get on the bus like little children going on a badass field trip, I could feel the pressure. When we finally got to Hideaway and the golf got going, we jumped out to a big early lead and I was so damn excited for the guys. JB and I drove around the course trying to catch all of the groups and when we got to Claytons group, the vibe just seemed...off? Asking him how it was going you could see he was keeping so much stir crazy emotion inside. I knew exactly what he was feeling and he never had to say a word about it. So when we got back to the hotel that night we all hung out in the lobby a bit trying to make sure we all got the plans for that evenings dinner and Nest plans (and re-Nest for someone) and everyone headed up to their rooms to change. I asked Clayton to stick around and just talk with me a little bit without the group there. He told me how disappointed he was in his play and how he feels he let the team down. Right then and there I knew this dude was in it for the right reasons and was captain, or AssCap, material. We talked about how the selfish thing to do is put the golf over the experience and how good teammates in this event stress over the experience and the relationship aspect and just let the golf happen. There were tears shed, emotions worn on sleeves and it was a bonding moment that will sit with us forever. You took on a new view of the event from that moment forward and walked away our Team MVP voted on by the team...the very people you were worried you let down. We have talked every day since...about life, faith, golf and what its like to raise kids in a world that tells us because of what we look like we shouldnt be brothers. But you cant break a bond like family.

Clayton, brother...I couldn't be happier about this selection. You are the guy for it. Mike and I are here for you, but this is YOUR ride. If I could give you one piece of advice, make time to say goodbye to Hideaway.

Real tears. Real joy. Real brothers.

You guys are killin me.

I was by myself when I went out there. Everyone was inside the dining area and I had just gotten my Goodboys Originals Piece from the team and was taken over by emotions. So I went out for some fresh air and realized it was my goodbye to Hideaway and The Grandaddy. A moment I will never forget

I’ll forever be grateful to @tomcat for snapping my picture. I wasn’t in that spot long, but he saw it and I’m glad he did.

Clayton and I had a great conversation tonight and I am so excited to begin this journey with him! Let’s go!

First lapse in judgement by the AssCap. Luckily there won’t be any others

Haha! Call it nostalgia. It got the best of me. My senses have now returned.
I’m pretty sure Finley wants no parts of that place again anyways. Memories can’t be fond.

Haha! Call it nostalgia. It got the best of me. My senses have now returned.
I’m pretty sure Finley wants no parts of that place again anyways. Memories can’t be fond.
There is only one person who has fond memories of that place, and he's Canadian. *cough* @ArmyGolf *cough*

I’ve literally been struck by lightning TWICE!!! Holy Crap! Can not believe this! So excited to be a part of this event one more time! Head still spinning!!!
I’m going back to Cali!

What an awesome privilege to represent team THP and rock that G with this years squad!! Let’s go!!!

Congrats dude!!! Well deserved for sure!!

Am I crazy for wanting to be on this team even more now knowing that @dacatalyst41 is the AssCap? He’s one of the few people on here that I talk to on a regular basis and haven’t actually met yet!

How about a round in the Summer then I’ll meet up with you and Dimples in December. Deal??:cool:

Back