The BBQ Sauce Thread

From grocery store brands to homemade, it’s BBQ season and that means some delicious sauces.

What are your favorites?

i prefer to make my own, and have had rave reviews from many people.
I use Sweet baby rays as my base to start from and then add lots of stuff: apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, hot sauce, white pepper, chipotle pepper, and then bring to a boil, then simmer for 19 min, USE!

3009fac11c24b5512bf8ac2c8b0ff645.jpg

This is my favorite sauce right now. It’s not spicy at all and goes great with pork.

...I've only run into one barbecue sauce I didn't like and that was Budweiser's. I thought it was awful....
So their BBQ sauce matches their beer then. :ROFLMAO:

Commercially, Sweet Baby Ray's is tops for me.

I also make a Lexington-style dip that is pretty versatile.

It’s a shame they retired their smokehouse but The Ribhouse in Longmont, CO do really good Kansas City style sauces that are amazing, especially the XXX

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am a sucker for any mustard vinegar sauce. If I am not making my own I may add some cayenne or jalapeno o habanero pepper juice to spice things up. That is my go-to with anything pork or chicken. Beef is naked.

I decided recently to venture into the "homemade" BBQ sauce arena. I went to several of BBQ and Pitmaster sites and spoke with quite a few people on how to make a good sauce.
The two tools that most recommend is an immersion blender and a good strainer. Most were reluctant to share their personal recipes but they did say that fresh is best. Some told me that they put celery, carrots, apples, pears, onions, ginger etc. in their concoction and they blend it smooth with the blender and then strain it to capture the pulp and stuff that wouldn't blend. The base is usually ketchup or whole tomatoes with the juice. Sweeteners are usually molasses, honey, brown sugar, maple syrup etc. Some of them also say that using anchovies instead of salt make a huge difference(?). Virtually all of them said that their sauce is cooked at some point in the making.
Since I have some time on my hands, I'm going to try a few things and see how I like it. I have a blender just need a strainer.
Well, this rookie has no idea how it will turn out, however, I get tired of paying for store bought sauce all of the time. I'll post how it goes one way or another:rolleyes:

My wife is already :LOL:

Some good ideas in this thread. Besides homemade, some of my faves for store bought sauces are:
- Sticky Fingers mustard based (ie SC style)
- Sticky Fingers Kentucky Bourbon
- Montgomery Inn
- Sweet Baby Rays (original)
- The Shed
- Heinz Memphis
- Heinz Carolina
- Uncle Yammy's Southern Style (vinegar based East Carolina style).

All depends on what I am eating and what I feel like that day. I also make a homemade East Carolina style vinegar based one if I have the time and ingredients. But, you still need to use the right rub on your meats while cooking; I make a mean rub as well.

@JB did you start a side hustle none of us know about?

6F1C9AA4-E64E-4CFA-BC15-E55DF96060D9.jpeg

I've gone thru a few bottles of Rib Rack Sauce. Pretty good. Priced closer to a private label but there are usually coupons...

Hahha no. But if I did, it would taste like Blue's Hog. :D
Is Blues generally available at retail? Can’t say I’ve seen it

This is my homemade recipe. I've used it on pretty much everything and it's always well-received. It's a sweet and tangy KC style sauce. Admittedly, it's very tangy if it's by itself, but blends really well once it's on the meat. The sweetness is ideal for pork or chicken, but it's not awful on some beef cuts.

2 tablespoons American chili powder

1 teaspoon ground black pepper

2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 cups ketchup

1/2 cup yellow ballpark-style mustard

1/2 cup cider vinegar

1/3 cup Worcestershire sauce

1/4 cup lemon juice

1/4 cup dark molasses

1/4 to 3/4 cup honey (I use more as I like it sweeter)

1 teaspoon hot sauce (at minimum, obviously add more if you want to kick it up a notch)

1 cup dark brown sugar (you can use light brown sugar if that's all you have)

3 tablespoons vegetable oil

1 medium onion, finely chopped

4 medium cloves of garlic, crushed or minced

1: In a small bowl, mix the American chili powder, black pepper, and salt. In a large bowl, mix the ketchup, mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire, lemon juice, steak sauce, molasses, honey, hot sauce, and brown sugar. Mix them, but you don't have to mix thoroughly.

2: Over medium heat, warm the oil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and sauté until limp and translucent, about 5 minutes. Crush the garlic, add it, and cook for another minute. Add the dry spices and stir for about 2 minutes to extract their oil-soluble flavors. Add the wet ingredients. Simmer over medium heat for 15 minutes with the lid off to thicken it a bit.

3: Taste and adjust. Add more of anything that you want a little bit at a time. It may taste a bit vinegary at first, but that will be less obvious when you use it on meat. I recommend you run with my recipe the first time and then you can make it your own. Strain it if you don't want the chunks of onion and garlic. I like leaving them in, they give the sauce a home-made texture. You can use it immediately, but I think it's better when aged overnight. You can store it into clean bottles in the refrigerator for a month or two.

Is Blues generally available at retail? Can’t say I’ve seen it
Ace Hardwares have it normally. So does Amazon

Back