The Best Cafeterias in America (Food & Wine Magazine Report)

PKorf

Albatross 2024 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
0-10
Many of you may not think cafeteria food or cuisine is good for obvious reasons. However, Food & Wine magazine released their TOP CAFETERIA RESTAURANTS list a few days ago and i think if most people gave these home owned and homemade establishments a try, they'd be more than surprised and eventually full.

The Top 10:
1. Cleburne Cafeteria, Houston
2. Sokolowski’s University Inn, Cleveland
3. Philippe’s, Los Angeles
4. Gray Brothers Cafeteria Mooresville, IN
5. Harry’s Hofbrau, San Leandro and Redwood City, CA
6. Mehlman Cafeteria, St. Clairsville, OH
7. Valois, Chicago
8. Arnold’s Country Kitchen, Nashville
9. Niki’s West, Birmingham
10. Cafe Latte, Saint Paul

Heres a link to the actual article and write up as well as the rest of the list which contains about 20 more restaurants with write ups and a picture.
https://www.foodandwine.com/travel/...ndwine_foodandwine&utm_term=curalate_like2buy

The fact that I have eaten at a number of those and Shapiros is not on the list from Indianapolis says it’s a terrible list.

The fact that I have eaten at a number of those and Shapiros is not on the list from Indianapolis says it’s a terrible list.
Didn’t think shapiros was a “cafeteria”. Pretty sure it would be regarded as a deli...

Didn’t think shapiros was a “cafeteria”. Pretty sure it would be regarded as a deli...

Well, its history is Shapiros Deli and Cafeteria.
Depending on location, you still move down a line and point to what you want.

Piccadilly has to be on this list!!!!

Lol jk. I know it’s not great but I have fond memories of my grandfather taking me and my brothers there. I like the idea of cafeterias and now this list makes me want to try more of them

Having eaten at Cleburne many times, it’s a good spot. Food always was fresh and amazing taste.

Awesome, Harry's Hofbrau is super close to where I live. Haven't been there in years but now I'm going to go there soon.

#2 just closed it’s doors for good. 🥲

Harry’s Hofbrau was awesome. Used to have lunch there weekly. The one near my work closed down due to wanting to build Condos. It’s still an empty building today.

Arnold’s is so good!

Back