The best shot of the round

So it almost happened today. The par 3 Fifth was playing about 181 to the pin with a slight 8-9 mph wind from about 10 o’clock. I pulled my 6i. A club I hit about 178 and took aim at the middle of the green

8719223C-DD8B-49BB-AD7F-D24AA676B993.jpeg

I hit the softest sounding iron shot I’ve experienced from my G410s. It was a towering shot dead on line. It came down with a clang and rocketed back off the front of the green.

shocked and elated for certain we knew I had hit the pin. As we ran up we discovered that I dropped it into the hole! And it spun around the pin and back out.

C352DB78-C0A7-40A1-8F2B-5E0C06FAD2A4.jpeg

sorry lip.

I ended up making bogey from here.

086298DD-F4A6-48EE-B448-8127A18DCF76.jpeg
But it sure felt as close to a hole in one! Wow what a feeling.

A 20 foot uphill right to left breaking putt I made for birdie when my game was reeling.

hybrid directly over the tree and onto the green 140y away

index.php

3rd shot on 515 yard par 5 from about 40 yards out. The hole was pinned about 5 yards from the front.

After watching the PC all weekend, I was inspired to try a low running pitch with the 54* instead of my normal shot with the 60*.

Played the ball in the back of my stance, choked down a good bit & hit a crisp low shot that landed a couple of yards off the green & barely missed going in the hole. Taped it in from a foot behind the hole.

Gonna have to work on that shot & play it more often this winter.

a couple come to mind from today.

180 out. ball in a fairway bunker. but a big oak is adjacent to the bunker and branches are hanging down. flight a 5i down and catch it pure, hits in front of the green and rolls through. it was cool!

near hole out with 60* wedge. 5i tee shot is wiped way right on a short hole. try to hit a narrow window through some trees to the green, hit one of the trees and shoot straight left back into the fairway. 58y to a tucked pin, 3/4 dead hand 60* comes off pure, hits an inch to the right of the pin and spins down the hill. make the 15’ putt for par.

I wish I had a picture of this one. This green tucks left around a tree line. I had a 75-yard approach to a short-sided pin and had almost no margin with the tree line. The pin was only 4 yards from the collar! Nipped a wedge just right launching the ball way into the air with spin. Landed and stopped 18-inches from the flag.

Played again today. After putting it on the green on a 200-yard par 3, I sunk a 40-foot putt with everybody in the group watching. Everyone cheered that one!

Definitely not my best shot but sure was the best outcomes.

On the 185 yard par 3, 9th hole, I hit the ball thin, however, the pond in front of the green was frozen so my ball bounced off the ice, rolled up the hill and stopped on the green 10 feet from the hole.

58 degree wedge from 88 yards that ended up 2 inches directly behind the hole. The ball mark was hole high 6 inches to the right of it. A touch more backspin and it would have been an eagle.

Was quite possibly robbed of a HIO today by the soaked greens. Hit a 3/4 9 iron from 131 that plugged 2 inches behind the hole. The hole was on a slight upslope so there is a good chance the ball would have spun back a little had the green not been so stinking wet...

It doesn't sound like much, but I sunk a crazy difficult 15 footer that my three playing partners couldn't believe. It broke 4 1/2 feet and had to perfectly match line and speed. If the hole hadn't gotten in the way the ball would have been at least 15 feet away on the other side. That's how pronounced was the slope. This is a crazy green that is infamous locally and this time of year they often put the pin in places they wouldn't normally just to give other parts of the green a rest.

Fun Shot: I was reminded that we're in the rainy season when the greens are soft. On my approach to the 8th hole I hit a 9-iron pin high that zipped back 30-35 feet.

Took advantage of a tail wind and hit a driver on the screws to drive the ball to the fringe on a tricky short par 4. 2 putted from the fringe for an easy birdie. Rarely hit driver on the hole because an errant drive can make the hole play pretty darn difficult. Usually go 5 wood or 4 hybrid then wedge.

The past 2 rounds it’s easily been the driver. To tough to pick just one as I’ve had some really good drives lately. If I could just find where I misplaced my iron game I’d be in good shape. :ROFLMAO:

Wednesday, it was a 200-yd 4/5-hyb with a little draw off the tee on a sharp dogleg left par-4. I wasn't trying to turn it, but it ended up in a greater spot than it would if it hadn't turned.

hole16_20200101.png

Last edited:
I didn't post after my last round. I had 3 drives >300y and two 3wds off the tee that were 272y and 281y, but I'll give the shot of the day to my 6i 2nd shot on the par 5, 18th hole. It wasn't especially long (167y) or difficult (fairway), but I hit the green in two and I can count on one hand the number of times I did that last year. I give myself the opportunities once in a while, but I rarely pull off that 2nd shot. Heck, I had a GW into a par 5 once last year and screwed it up.

Played a scramble the other day. Sadly, my drive was the best on 18, from the far side of the next fairway.

185 out, giant tree right between me and the pin.

Pulled out the 5W and hit a beautiful, high draw around the tree and onto the green.

5 wood uphill and with a strong crosswind from 196 yards to 7 feet to set up a birdie on the toughest hole on the course for me.

First round of 2020 and shot of the day was a driver from 260 off the deck into a par 5, baby fade around a tree to about 10 ft. So pumped for golf this year!

I know there used to be a similar thread, but I searched THP for about 30 minutes looking for the best shot of the round thread and never found it so I'm starting a new one.

Pretty self-explanatory, post the best shot that you hit during your last round.

Mods: please merge this thread if the need be.

I think my best shot(s) of the day was actually a tie between a drive I hit on #3 that went about 250 yards and a 5 hybrid I hit 195 yards. Both of those numbers are really big for me.

It's HERE on page 4 of this forum right now, but I'm not surprised searching for it is futile. :rolleyes:

Thanks for posting it. I was frustrated trying to find it.

I think my best shot(s) of the day was actually a tie between a drive I hit on #3 that went about 250 yards and a 5 hybrid I hit 195 yards. Both of those numbers are really big for me.

Back