The best shot of the round

Crushed my drive and left myself 110 to the hole. Topped my second about 60 yards and left myself an approach to a back pin on a ridiculous tiered green. Bumped a 7i up for a tap-in. My last thought over the ball was, whatever I never practice these shots anyway šŸ˜†
BF776528-B630-463C-AD31-EF927ADEB290.jpeg

245 yard drive, hugging the left edge of the fairway, with a draw. On this hole, I normally push right, which is OK, but the best shot is the one above. Nailed it. Leaving me a nice little PW to a front pin for a bird.

tough for me as I had a great hybrid from 215 that landed 6 feet... and a 4 iron from 208 that landed 10 feet.... both putts for birdies(missed) this weekend in the same round !

My best shot from my last round was my putt on 18 for birdie. This was during our Pro Am tournament and there were a bunch of guys hanging out on the back patio of the clubhouse watching us finish up. I had about a 20 foot double breaking putt, slightly downhill and pretty slippery. I hit a perfect putt and it dropped and right away everyone on the back porch starting cheering. I got to do the pro wave to the crowd and felt pretty good about the ending.

Yanked one left of the green and had a downhill, sidehill, fluffy lie from about 20y, over the cart path, over a bunker, with water long, haha...

I told the guys that if i kept it on the putting surface beers were on me at the turn. It ended up on the fringe. I was quite happy to stay dry AND not have to buy a round.

#10 Painted Hills....topped my drive about 30 yards...popped up a 3 wood to the fairway....worm burner 3 wood to 100 yds...ā€¦.one bounced into cup for a routine birdie!

My best shot from the initial AZ THP golf outing was not the one that won me a skin on the par 3 #15. IMO my best shot came on no. #17. This is a really tough hole. The fairway is really sloped and elevated to reject tee shots that are not perfectly placed into the creek. I tried to play smart, by hitting a 5i off the tee. I was targetting a nice landing area 200 yards out. But my alignment issues hurt me as I piped my best 5i strike of the day 210 yards straight into the creek.

Given that slope, I walked back on line to a flat area and pulled an 8i. due to elevation and trees, this was a blind shot. but I knew the middle of the green was 150 yards. Which is a comfortable near perfect 8i distance for me. I caught it a little thin but the draw that I tend to play with perfectly shaped it around the blocking tree and flew over the creek catching the middle front of the green and released to the back left. Leaving me a comfortable 15 ft to save bogey.

IMG_786DBE979236-1.jpeg

Fathers day round. Left side fairway bunker 165 out. Redan-ish green with pin back left. Hit a high draw starting at the right side of the mouth the the green. Drew left nicely landing and rolling towards the back left pin up to about 12ā€™. While not super close, it was Nirvana to hit the exact shot and shape I envision.

On Saturday, I was playing as a single. I caught up to a foursome on the 5th hole a par 3. They waved me up to play through. 5H to about 20 ft below the pin and drained the putt for a birdie. Thanked them for letting me play through! :)

Normally, I feel rushed when playing through. But, this time, I took my time and made a good swing and then a great putt. Yay!!!

Had a bunch of good shots today. Last hole of the tournament, opponent is up 1 on me.

He nukes a driver right down the fairway and puts the pressure on me.

Executed a nice powerful swing and put my ball right next to him, 275 yards each. We both nail our second shots, me long, him short. He ended up winning, but that was a great drive, for me.

The numerous chips and putts I made today to save pars to bail out my less than desirable ball striking.

Today a 159 yard approach shot that went straight at the pin and stopped 4 feet short for an easy birdie on the 1st hole.

I dropped a 5wd to 3' from 206ish yards out... into a little quartering wind, into me and right to left.

It was a tough, slow & hot round. I was tied going into the 15th hole with a guy I've never beat. And completely blew it. Lost drive, another ball in the creek... took a 10. He bogeyed so it was down 4 with 3 to go. Each bogeyed 16 and onto a tough par 3, 178 yards uphill with tall grass down the right and a big dropoff into a ravine down the left. He hits a little fat but it clears the raving and makes the grass bunker front left of the green. I've really gotta get something on the surface and its a hole that sets up for a big high draw. Take a big swing and its a monster. High, draws 35 feet and hits the green just short of the pin and sticks. The uphill 10 footer broke left then right and finished pin high a cup right. Tap in par. Competitor butchered the hole to a 6 so I was back in the game, down 1 with 1 to play. Until I hooked the drive OB and sulked the rest of the night...

Was having the worst driving day in a long time. On the final hole, which is number 9 because we started on the back nine, I said heck with it. Just used my old baseball grip and swing. Swung as hard as I could. Went left and cut of the dogleg that turns left. Probably cut off 30 yards with that. A 431 yard par 4. Was inside the 150 marker for the first time ever. Was still off the fairway to the left, but had a good lie and a good look at the green from around 140.

We estimated the ball traveled around 270 yards. Woulda been longer if it was in the short fairway grass. The thicker rough slowed down the roll. It was one of those lasers that didn't go as high and results in a longer rollout. Just shows I still have some power at 64 years old. And no, technique has nothing to do with it. :LOL:

5 iron stinger on the short par 4 thing took off running a cool 241 yarder left me a flip wedge which I put within 6 feet drained the putt for birdie

had a good round going so i didnt want to chunk or blade a chip, my longest putt ever. good 30-35 YARDS. 10 of the yards off the green.

had a good round going so i didnt want to chunk or blade a chip, my longest putt ever. good 30-35 YARDS. 10 of the yards off the green.

Nice chip... how did it turn out?

My last round on 6/20 - Hole #11, after pulling driver into the left rough, had 160 yds with a decent lie but hitting into the sun; could tell i made solid contact with my 4 hybrid & saw the ball take off at the middle of the green. I was expecting on the green but 25-35 ft putt for birdie, when i got up there my ball was right by the hole, literally 1 foot (i put my size 13 shoe between the cup & my ball and it fit perfectly). Easily the best result i've had for a shot over 120 yds in forever. :cool:

58 degree from 60 yards to a foot and a half for an easy birdie.

Took a quick lesson on the first fluffy bunker I was in, and lobbed a 30 yd shot out of the deep second one I was in to a few inches.

#18 is a tough dogleg where driver is too much and 3w might leave you with tree trouble. I opted for 3w and ended up with 170 to a tight pin and... tree trouble.

I actually said to my playing partner, out loud, ā€œIā€™m gonna try a shot Iā€™m not good enough to hit.ā€ I needed a draw around the trees. I figured if it didnā€™t Iā€™d miss the green right and have to get up/down, so not a big deal.

Took a deep breath, choked up a bit, committed to the draw and... hit a picture perfect draw around the trees to 5 feet below the hole. Made the birdie putt.

Bunker shot that hit the flagstick and dropped in for birdie.
Had another out of the bunker that was one rotation from going in for birdie

Back