The best shot of the round

Sub par round today, but shot of the round was a comeback par putt. I left my ball on the front of the green, par 3. Wanted an uphill putt and got it.

Hit my putt and nuked it past the hole, leaving myself a downhill breaking 20 footer.

Manned up, read the putt and put the exact stroke I wanted on it, smoothly rolled right into the hole.

Driver off the deck from 280 out to back right fringe. Had a fluffy rough lie and thought I could pull it off. Best part was I had blocked my drive so I needed to curl it 30-40 yards left to right to wrap it around a tree 30 yards in front of me. Missed the eagle by a couple inches on this short 5, tap in birdie.

I could probably hit that shot 10 times and be around the green twice. I never try to draw the ball with driver off deck usually trying for a little fade so I was pretty sure I could pull it off IF I made good contact. Or at least an acceptable shot anyways.

Don’t get hung up on the distance. It was playing hard and fast out so I likely carried it 240-250 max.

Hit my 50 degree wedge to 2 feet to save par on the 17th. Flip over to the "worst shot" thread to get the rest of the story :oops:

A couple of candidates today. A 58°from 87 to inside a foot or the 290 3W that caught the speed slot just right.

Hit a 7i pin high on the right fringe. Wasn't close, but with my irons fighting me of late, it was a small victory.

Nice shot into a par 3 to about 10’ and a routine par.

857d0dd72da0f9af88d4d234002afbc0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

On my knees in a mulch bed, chest against a small pine hugging it with my arms around it below the green short sided with a bunker to carry and hit it to 10 feet.

Has to be the chip in for birdie. Very few other good shoots were hit today....

Possibly best shot i ever played in terms of distance difficulty and accuracy.
128 yard PW from rough working against 18 to 20 MPH wind, Over a few trees.
Landed 3 ft from the hole.
Missed Bird
But still a great memory and confidence booster.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Hole #2. Short par 4.

Wedge missed pin high, off left side of green. Pin all the way on the right, downhill the whole way.

This green runs hard to that side. My goal was to wedge in the green, maybe 2-3 paces and let it run. Run it did, for a chip in birdie!

As it was rolling to the far side of the green I was saying "go easy, go easy" and as it go closer, that changed to "go in, go in"

Best today would have to be the 9 iron I hit from around 115 at the 6th. It never left the pin in the air, landed around 20 feet short, 2 bounces and checked up four feet from the pin. I struck the putt confidently, but caught the left edge and spit it out.

I had two on my last round.
  1. Sliced my drive on a par 5 and then played a hero shot from 225. Took a 5i and dropped it right in front of the green. Almost got up and down, but managed to make a nice par.
  2. Drilled my approach up the hill on the short par 4 and made the birdie putt!

Last hole of the day was 345yd dogleg right par 4. Hit a fade around the dogleg just into the right rough. Left me with 62yds in. Of course I chunked the pitch but I got up and down for par

Par 3, 159 into just a slight breeze. Pin high but 8 foot right, made the birdie putt.

Had 266 left after driving the corner of a dogleg par 5. Stripped my 3 wood to just shy of pin high on the green. Missed the 18 foot eagle bid by a hair, but tap in birdie.

Late edit: I can't leave out that two holes after the above shot, I hit a poor chip just short of the green, then followed it up with a chip in birdie. I had planned on playing 9, but had to call the wife at the turn "there is a chance of breaking 80 babe, can I please stay out here". Shot an 81 🤨

Last edited:
One of the par 3's today was 236 yds to the middle and the pin was placed at the back so was about 250 or so. Hit my 3 wood which landed in middle/front of green and rolled out to 254 yds right off the back of the green and was only about 20ft right of the pin. Too bad i duffed the chip and 3 putted, still the tee shot was a great one.

I try not to work the ball because at my level it almost always ends badly. But I had two occasions that called for it yesterday and both worked out well.

The first was a layup - which are not always automatic with me. Angle and distance are critical as there is a creek running diagonally in front of the hole and trouble if the ball runs too far. I thought the shot called for a 3h so I could get the distance needed for the best angle of my approach, and a draw that would shorten up the approach while preventing the ball to run into the crap. It was just one of those shots where I pulled it off exactly how I wanted. The ball stopped right next the 100 yd stake with at a perfect angle to the green.

The second was a 125 yard approach with branches blocking on the right. I've been drawing my irons more of late but could not start this ball right. So I tried a method I'd been using for fades in practice and holy sh!t, it worked. The ball actually faded right of the flag but pin high. It was a nice way to finish up the round.

Honestly, trying these shots will kill a round for me, so I have to just accept I got lucky yesterday.

drained a 20 foot putt from the fringe for Birdie!

runners up:

after topping my tee shot and dribbling barely into the fairway, found myself 220 yards to go on a par 4. hit driver off the deck, pushed it right but it landed in a safe area and was able to chip on and salvage a bogey (bogeys are like par to me)

5 Wood from 215 to park it 5 feet from the cup and putt for par

Played abysmally yesterday... On the par-4 #12 I hit a ball 75-yards OB right of the fairway, over an apartment building and into a parking lot (hope I didn't hit any cars). I re-teed and hit it to 95 yards and then missed making par by 1". My 58-degree wedge landed just about 4' right of the pin and spun left and finished 1" behind the cup - would have been a heck of a par!

Played abysmally yesterday... On the par-4 #12 I hit a ball 75-yards OB right of the fairway, over an apartment building and into a parking lot (hope I didn't hit any cars). I re-teed and hit it to 95 yards and then missed making par by 1". My 58-degree wedge landed just about 4' right of the pin and spun left and finished 1" behind the cup - would have been a heck of a par!

Did you make the putt? :oops::eek:

Best shot for me today was on the 13 hole, par 3. Hitting from the tee box the shot was 166 yds over water. The pin was tucked in the lower right corner of the green this green on the13th is a huge green sloping down from back to front. Anyway, I pull my 6i left and hit it up on a rise about pin high. had to make my second shot with the ball below my feet. Decided to use 9i and pitch it onto the green and let the ball run down toward the hole. Made the shot just right ending up just four inched above the pin. Rolled in the put and saved par. Best shot of the day for me. ;)

My last 3 approach shots totalled a collective 8 feet from the pin, so one of them was probably the best.

I sunk a 45' putt for birdie today. I paced if off just so I could brag about it here.

I know, I know... even a blind squirrel finds an acorn now and then.

Seriously, the lag putting has been better of late - doing a bit better at reading breaks and speed. The results have included more tap-ins than in the past. Today's birdie putt just happened to drop.

Back