The best shot of the round

Knocked one straight as an arrow onto the green from about 170 yds out with a 5 wood, then nailed a 50 foot putt for the birdie.

Hit the pin with a pitch from ~40y to save par. It was a shiny spot in an otherwise dreary round.

84yd LW over the trees to 5ft from the pin for a birdie try....only to punt it :banghead:

Played yesterday. 102 degrees when we tee'd off per the guage at the starter's stand. The heat wore me down on the back nine and I was having a hard time finishing my swing and was leaving too much weight back on right foot. However, after hitting a terrible, pop-up tee shot only about 120 yards, I was left with 225 yds for my second. Somehow, I managed to stripe a 3 wood to 6 feet pin high. Best shot I've hit since my return to golf a couple of months ago after a long layoff. Of course, I missed the birdie putt high side, but didn't care after that 3 wood shot.

Our rough, as is usual for Bermuda grass in August, has been brutal lately. Mostly you just have to hack the ball out and advance it but if you do get lucky and draw a playable lie it's totally guesswork whether it will jump three clubs too far or come out soft and miss the green way short.

Yesterday I had a decent lie, that's the good news. Bad news was ball on a slight downslope, ball above my feet, I had 160 yards to a hole tucked behind a huge bunker and just for an added thing to think about it's downhill about 10-15 feet.

I gave it a look and decided "jump, big-time" was my diagnosis. Took out 9-iron (my 125 club) choked down because the ball was above me and just made the best, most normal swing I could. The ball did jump, it flew about 150 yards, took a big bounce and caught a little lip of the hole on the way past. The combo of flier lie, downslope added 30+ yards to my normal choked-down 9-iron distance.

Unfortunately, I missed the 15-foot birdie putt coming back but the combination of a correct guess and a sweet swing made me feel like a decent golfer...for at least as long as that ball was in the air!

I had a rough round yesterday overall but really got it done on the four par 3's. And they are collectively as tough of a set of par 3's as I've played. Uphill 182 yarder, hit a 7 wood pin high that just rolled to the back fringe, 2 putt par. 211 yard downhiller. Same 7 wood. You can't see where it hits but when we got down the hill it had found the front of the putting surface about 15 feet from the hole, another 2 putt par.

Next one is 138 yards over a big gulley with a deep bunker guarding the front of the green. I didn't hit a solid 9 iron and found the bunker. Just got out with my 58 and slid the ball just past the hole. Putt lipped out so settled for a bogey.

The last par 3 was 167 slightly uphill. This was probably my best swing of the day. A high draw with a 6 iron and the ball stuck about 10 feet left of the pin. The birdie wasn't meant to be and the ball rolled just past the cup. Tap in par. So +1 on the par 3's that day felt pretty good...

120 yard 8-iron into the hole. To save my par. Hit 8 feet away and rolled to the right into the cup. I usually ascribe really good results on my shots to blind luck, but this shot, I hit really, really well. As in the best iron shot I've hit in years.

Forgot about my favorite shot from my last round. Missed right on a par 5 from 230. Was under some pines with a bunker between myself and the green. The sand was hard so I decided to just run it through the bunker and onto the green. Played it almost perfectly and left it on the fringe. Fun shot!

This 8i from 161 for a near ace yesterday.

A187D806-8D07-42CA-898D-8836E8C582AE.jpeg

Best shot was actually quite lucky. I was playing the #2 handicap hole. Drive down the middle, hybrid pushed into the green side trap. Blasted out but still between the trap and the green and in the 2nd cut. Pitched out and went in the hole on the fly! Saved par.:)

Not one shot, but hit 6/6 fairways with driver on the back nine.

Golf is a lot more fun when you're getting off the tee box consistently.

Getting rid of the banana slice makes me smile.

Driver off the 17th tee. 328 yard Par 4, fairway dog legs right with a big tree guarding the inside corner. Decided to try and hit a monster drive just to see what would happen.

Slow backswing, keep the arms relaxed and remember a smooth tempo. Downswing, keep arms relaxed and remember to close the face at impact. Swing through with gusto and keep my head DOWN.

Watched it sail off into the fairway, fading beautifully. Left me with about 65 to the green and narrowly avoided the casual water that the geese were hanging out in.

20200810_095207.jpg

Found ^ this when I got to my ball off the tee.

No direct line if I got it up much, but needed to carry the first bunker somehow. Grabbed a 7i, said 'strong wrist, think steep' and
20200810_171251.jpg

punched to make that ^ happen. I was pretty dang pleased about it.

346 yard drive

Hit my tee shot to the opposite side of the next fairway. Way left of the photo attached.

Then hit my 4 hybrid, over some trees, a stream and sand trap to 15 feet from 215 yards out.

117431721_1233013370378106_3395563126851707805_o.jpg

This is a series. The 18th hole on this course is 544 yards into a two-club wind. Smashed the driver and then fairway metal right down broadway...leaving me a 6-iron approach! Yeah, that much wind. Pin was back, but on the edge of the top tier and sloping right to left and back to front like crazy. Landed the approach 5 feet behind and 20 feet right of the pin. Ended up 25 feet in front of the pin. Made the putt for birdie. Yep some holes it takes just one good shot to birdie. This one required four.

I hit a 4h 165y into the wind on the last hole today. It wasn't long, but I knew it wasn't gonna be long. The best part was the line and the ball flight were like I drew it up in my head. Made par so I'm good with it.

Hit a knockdown wedge from 94 yards to 6 inches. Only birdie of the round.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20200813_212056.jpg

I had some beauties today, but I always love a good one from a bad spot, so I'm sticking with this. For someone who kinda hates bumping chips into the side of raised greens, the thought to try it with a 4i through the trees from 150 came pretty quickly. And it worked like a champ.

Last edited:
Par 3 9th playing 125 into at least a club wind. Hit pW and landed the ball stight on my target line & rolled the ball up to 3.5’. Not an ace but rolled the putt in for a birdie.

I had some beauties today, but I always love a good one from a bad spot, so I'm sticking with this. For someone who kinda hates bumping chips into the side of raised greens, the thought to try it with a 4i through the trees from 150 came pretty quickly. And it worked like a champ.
I hear ya. Pulling off shots like this will fill the heart with satisfaction...and a smile.

Doesn't sound like much but a 150 yard par 3 tee shot to 4 feet. The pin was 3 paces off the front and right of center and the green slopes a bunch left to right. So to get to the pin you have to land it just off the left front corner of the green, let it bounce then roll dead right then let gravity take over until it settles in by the hole. Mission accomplished!

1 bounce and hit the pin a few inches above the cup on a 190 yard par 3. Slightly uphill so not sure if it bounced in and back out or not but thought the 18 year wait for number 2 might be over for a split second.

I pushed a drive and left myself in the rough, with the ball above my feet. The pin was cut on the right side of the green. I was partially blocked by a tree. I could not go at the pin. I mentally pictured a nice little cut. I was 137 to the hole. I hit a knockdown 9 iron and hit the shot just like I pictured it in my mind. Left myself a 10 foot birdie putt, which of course I missed, but that little cut was my best shot of the round.

Last edited:
Back