The best shot of the round

PW from 122 to 18 inches. Made the birdie.

Hit a 5wd from just inside 200y to about 3' on a short(ish) par 5. It was playing just under 470y. I'll take it. Made the putt for eagle.

A close second was the 6i to 3' two holes later that I converted for birdie.

Last edited:
My GIR's are still not good at 25% but I did knock in a 25 yard chip yesterday for birdie. I was below the hole so did not see it tracking to hole but the guys I was with were encouraging it as it took the big break and rolled in.

Also yesterday I hit a 155 yard 8 iron on a par 5 six inches from cup to enable a birdie on the 18th. I messed up the second shot but taking a 3 hybrid that I had to hit over mount and just caught the top of it killing distance, should have played 5 iron. Got to play smarter golf.

Yesterday, hole #3 which is normally a trouble hole for me. Narrow fairway with a wash at about 177 or so out. I lay up there and then usually get faked out by the wash and chunk my second shot into the water. (So do many other people BTW).

Teed off with my 3h and hit a perfect shot dead center of the fairway and as close as possible to the wash without being on the downslope. Excellent spot for a clear second shot to the green.

This is from Saturday's round.

#1 handicap hole, 435 yd par 4, flared tee shot to the right near the OB markers.

2nd shot, Water left, a tree in front of me, laying about 190 out. Attempted to cut the ball, hit it pure from the pine straw and nailed that tree as solid as you could hit it haha.
Ball ends up 10 yards behind me for 3rd shot.

Now, laying two, 200 out, have worse pine straw lie, but much better opening. Hit my trusty Wison Staff hybrid to 3 feet, it was a beautiful shot and saved par-.

Best and worst shot happed on same hole. go figure.

This is from Saturday's round.

#1 handicap hole, 435 yd par 4, flared tee shot to the right near the OB markers.

2nd shot, Water left, a tree in front of me, laying about 190 out. Attempted to cut the ball, hit it pure from the pine straw and nailed that tree as solid as you could hit it haha.
Ball ends up 10 yards behind me for 3rd shot.

Now, laying two, 200 out, have worse pine straw lie, but much better opening. Hit my trusty Wison Staff hybrid to 3 feet, it was a beautiful shot and saved par-.

Best and worst shot happed on same hole. go figure.
Also shows that sometimes all it takes is one really good shot to make par on a hole.

Also shows that sometimes all it takes is one really good shot to make par on a hole.
It has been said that every par is the result of one good shot. I believe that is almost always true. I would just say always, but I hesitate to speak in absolutes.

7th hole, Par 5. 2nd shot. Tee shot was in left rough, had an uphill right-to-left angle for shot #2. Hit a bullet of a 5-wood with some decent draw on it. Skipped up the fairway to just off the green. Led to a chip-and-putt birdie.

20201006_111825.jpg

Nothing spectacular last time, but I missed the first fairway right (not the direction you want to on that hole), had a fluffy lie in the rough, and managed to hit and hold a wedge close enough to that pin to start with a birdie and get on a roll for 3 in the first 4 holes.

20201007_085138.jpg

I posed this picture in a live round post. The wide angle does not do this justice. There is a severe slope down to the water (lucky tee shot didn't roll in), and the distance to the green is only about 80 yards. Getting over that tree was not easy. This was a hard specialty shot. I opened up the face on the 54 and with a full swing and wrist action cut down with and across the slope, aiming left side of green. Ball zipped up over tree and moved right as expected, landing 10 yards right and beyond the pin. Tough downhill putt, but really about as good as I could do from there. This is easily one of my 10 best shots of the year.

IMG_1885.jpeg

210 yd par 3 on a links-style course with heather surrounding the green, I stuck my tee shot to 4 feet below the hole. From the tee, at that distance, it looked like it was going to roll in, but when I got up there it was 4 feet below. I did make my putt for birdie.

Hit my tee shot into a fairway bunker leaving myself 215 yards to the pin on a par 5.

Hit it to within 8 feet with my hybrid. Missed the putt but had a tap in for a nice birdie.

Had 2 great wedges today. One from 92 and the other from 101. Both to within 2 feet for birdies.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

183 yard par 3 into a decent wind and I hit a 6 iron out the middle and it hit a couple feet in front of the hole, rolled over the edge of the cup and stopped 2 feet past for a kick in birdie

3 wood from 220 into a slight breeze to a foot and a half to set up a tap in eagle.

20201009_120422.jpg

20201009_120534.jpg

Screenshot_20201009-120502_TheGrint.jpg

Hit that drive on a hole that's been a problem for me. If you're in the 260-300 range there are always trees blocking your approach, and I tend to miss left anyway here.

Rocked this one right down the pipe though and it rolled to good position to hit my favorite backstop wedge shot

20201009_120631.jpg

and make birdie for the first time on that hole.

At age 63 I'm not a long hitter, just a long hitter for 63. So it was satisfying flying the green from 240 yards out on a par 5, even though it was downhill.

Maybe boring, but I hit a 50+ foot, triple breaking putt to within 3"

Chip in on the first hole for birdie.

Blind 3W from the rough to just off the green on par 5. Managed to get up and down for birdie.
9A6BBD75-E426-4148-B130-05325AB590D8.jpeg

I somehow had a drive go 286 in wet conditions according to Arccos. It was an anomaly to say the least..

I hit a 6i to 3' on the par 3, 17th hole today. Yep, I missed the birdie putt. Was just that kind of day.

Screenshot_20201011-192903_Golf Pad.jpg20201011_180615.jpg

Sunk a 40 ft putt for birdie and pitched to 18 inches for birdie.

Back