The best shot of the round

Almost bailed on today's afternoon round due to work. We experienced wind today gusting to between 30-40 MPH. I took it as a good challenge. Played exceptionally well under these conditions. Hit 13 of 14 FIRs and 14 GIR. IMO everything was set up by an exceptional driving day. I think I may have found something. I'm not a long driver, but make good contact. Today I had a 300 yard drive wind-assisted and 250 yard drives AGAINST the wind. We'll go with the 300 yard drive that set up getting on in 2 on a 520 yard par 5.

20210119_104914.jpg20210119_105226.jpg20210119_105258.jpg

6i from 190 into a breeze from the right to the only good position. That green has punished me before, and there was no way I was playing the left game again. Cut it hard enough to hold, and it hit and went nowhere. Got the putt.

on a 148yd par 3 that i have never birdied, and par'd maybe once or twice, i figured out that i should just play it short and bounce onto the green with an easy 7i versus trying to land a high 9i that probably won't hold when the pin is at the bottom of the slope...bounced a 7i on to about 8-10ft and dropped the 🐤.

Tough conditions, but got 18 in today. Actual rain overnight and this morning (we usually only get drizzle). While playing the wet stuff varied between drizzle and light rain, but the accumulated rain made for variable ground conditions. Best shot of the round was my second shot on a par 5, a 3 fairway metal from the knee of the dogleg. The green was tucked to the right. I threaded it through a narrow section to 55-yards from the flag, which set up an easy up and down for birdie.

The best thing about the day was the three other guys in the group. Three 20-somethings who got the bug about a year ago, are having fun and learning fast. It was great seeing their exuberance for the game and interest in learning and getting better. We had a ball together!

20210122_104232.jpg

I was getting really excited for the Srixon Live stream to start, figured I'd have a chance at a long ZX7 into this par 5 before it started, and put it on the back fringe for an eagle chance right before stopping the live round stuff to tune in.

Tracer loses the ball a bit at the Apex as it turns, but still shows where it ended up.

Last edited:
I had to take a penalty on a par 5 and ended up just off the green with a tight pin. I needed the chip to go in for par.

Lately I’ve been making a habit out of saying the desired result of the shot out loud to myself before I address the ball. It’s a mental trick I use to set my intention and commit.

So I said “Ok, I’d like to make this one” and promptly knocked it in for par. My playing partner gave me garbage about the called shot for the entire next hole.

The drive on 9 was ideal. Straight, and right on the line I wanted just inside the left fairway bunker, so it would catch a little downslope.

9i into an uphill green, no laser or gps, so walked off the nearest (not near) marker, did the math, and stuck it to 3".

My best shot of my round on Friday afternoon was a chip shot on a par five that I holed out for eagle.

9i into an uphill green, no laser or gps, so walked off the nearest (not near) marker, did the math, and stuck it to 3".
I guess your pacing was just a little off.;)

I had chips on my last 3 holes and all 3 finished inside a foot of the hole. The last chip was one rotation from dropping for eagle.

Today's 18th hole was a short par 4 and I had 46 yards to a front hole location. This is usually an awkward yardage for me , one which I rarely get inside 20 feet, but today I was able to strike a mid trajectory 64* wedge that carried to the hole and stopped about 5 feet past it.

Par 3 9th. Tee shot from 117 to a couple feet (pic). Made the birdie putt for an even 36 on the front.

Attachments

• 5061E5FA-3A30-45BC-B12D-04ED37411406.jpeg
    5061E5FA-3A30-45BC-B12D-04ED37411406.jpeg
    92.2 KB · Views: 6
after power fading a tee shot, i had to regain some ground to save face in front of the random 3 i paired with today...dug deep down, pulled a 6i and got it over a tree that was close enough that i normally would punch under....190yds later, i decided the icing on the cake would be to chunk a wedge 40yds :rolleyes::LOL:

In between rain, thunderstorms, and high winds, and just after a frost delay, I got out for a round. Hit 14 GIRs and drove the ball well, but none of the approaches were next to the pin, so I'm going another direction. I made a 25 foot putt for birdie that broke 4 feet left to right, so I'm going with that one.

We've had lots of rain this week, but it let up long enough to get in a round today. Almost holed out a chip from 70 feet off the green, but it popped out after hitting the pin. So, we'll go with a 190 yard approach shot to an elevated green on the 18th hole. Stopped 8 feet from the cup (and this green is hard to hold). Made the putt for birdie.

Last edited:
Finally finding form again, thank god. Hit a 48 from 129 to a foot on a par 5 yesterday with an important audience member showing him I kind of know what I’m talking about, it was well timed and needed. Now we see if it pays off (y)

More rain creating some highly variable conditions: firm to soggy ground conditions, variable speed on greens, and lots of unusual tees and flag positions. Chips and pitches were my friend today. Lots of up and downs. So I'm picking one of them for the best shot of the day. Going with about a 100 foot chip over a hill onto the green that settled in 3 feet past the pin for a nifty up and down.

Hit the pin from 201 on a par 3 today. Ended up 50' away and made par, but that's about as good as a blade 6i can feel at impact and it never left the pin. I'll admit, I was talking to it.

Yesterday I hit a drive 250+/- yards that stayed in the center of the fairway. Haven't done that in a long time. A very long time. I just put a great swing on the e6 ball. Normally I'm in the 220 yard range.

In fact I hit my driver quite well for the entire, 18 hole round. Well enough, I was able to give my 3w the day off.

Shot a nice 80 for my effort, which I attribute my driver swings. The great 68*-70* degree weather also helped I'm sure. Played in shorts, and short sleeves. No swing restrictions.

Hit the pin from 201 on a par 3 today. Ended up 50' away and made par, but that's about as good as a blade 6i can feel at impact and it never left the pin. I'll admit, I was talking to it.
Don't you love those shots that never leave the pin...until they don't? Seems so unfair to find your ball in a different zip code after coming so close.

Don't you love those shots that never leave the pin...until they don't? Seems so unfair to find your ball in a different zip code after coming so close.
Oh, it's the worst. lol It seems to happen to me a bit, so I've had to learn not let it bother me too much. As long as it doesn't actually cost me a stroke, I can usually live with it. I lost a match last fall on one that pisses me off to this day. If you hit your shot though, you did it right and the rest you just can't control.

5i out of the rough from 193yds that was just short of the green... There were a few others but when I hit a 5i well, that is a highlight for me

Screenshot_20210203-175802_Video Player.jpg

I had closer approaches, made some good putts, and drove the ball well today, but as far as executing the plan, this is it. Wanted to be below the hole left because it's the only aggressive putting position, but it's hard to hold without running down in the bowl. Little cut wedge to position held, and got the easy birdie putt up the slope.

54 degree wedge from 96 into the breeze to a foot and a half to set up my lone birdie of the round.

Back