The best shot of the round

20210205_105441.jpg

Shot of the day against the ugliest background on the course. :p

Last edited:
I was torn on this one, but made a decision. Will offer the other as an honorable mention and you can decide whether I made the right choice or not.

I was really messing up a par 5 and found myself on the wrong side of the right side tree line after three shots. Went with a 150 yard bump and run with my 3-hybrid, under the trees and between two tree trunks about 100 yards from where the ball started, onto the fairway in front of the green, rolled onto the green to the back/center pin and settled 4 feet right of the flag. Easy putt to save par.

Honorable mention was on the approach shot of a long par 4. This hole literally goes right up the side of a mountain tee to green and is a beast. After a good tee shot, I have to pull 3-hybrid to get up the mountain for my approach shot. You have to land it just short of the green. But the burn in front makes everything go right. So you have to land it on the left side to get a deflection (bounce) that will put you on the green. Oh, and the green pitches sharply left to right. So, while the flag was on the center of the green, it's not easy to get there. I threaded the needle and found the ball 2 1/2 feet from the flag. Easy birdie putt.

I was torn on this one, but made a decision. Will offer the other as an honorable mention and you can decide whether I made the right choice or not.

I was really messing up a par 5 and found myself on the wrong side of the right side tree line after three shots. Went with a 150 yard bump and run with my 3-hybrid, under the trees and between two tree trunks about 100 yards from where the ball started, onto the fairway in front of the green, rolled onto the green to the back/center pin and settled 4 feet right of the flag. Easy putt to save par.

Honorable mention was on the approach shot of a long par 4. This hole literally goes right up the side of a mountain tee to green and is a beast. After a good tee shot, I have to pull 3-hybrid to get up the mountain for my approach shot. You have to land it just short of the green. But the burn in front makes everything go right. So you have to land it on the left side to get a deflection (bounce) that will put you on the green. Oh, and the green pitches sharply left to right. So, while the flag was on the center of the green, it's not easy to get there. I threaded the needle and found the ball 2 1/2 feet from the flag. Easy birdie putt.
Recovery shot would have been my choice too. To not drop a stroke from there is big.

Not the best but a hammered super hybrito tee shot that woulda been long, over the green at 260yds...ended up left for an easy 25yd chip... And par save

I hit a shot recently to a par 4 with water surrounding the green except for about 15 feet on the approach side. I hit a low draw 9 iron from like 130 that went to the middle of the green checked and rolled to about 5 foot.
I could not believe that the exact shot I visualized actually happened. Generally I am only able to hit to my normal yardages.

20210207_120353.jpg20210207_120613.jpg

Little par 5 birdie.

No golf today, but 36 in yesterday and there were actually several shots to choose from so I am gonna go with one from each round. The first one was a chip for par that was from well behind the green. The pin position was tucked over on my right hand side of the green and was a severe down hill slope and would break hard to the left as well. I had to pitch up the hill and land it my by ball just into the rise of the mound. It was one of the rare occasions I executed it perfectly. The ball landed exactly where I wanted it to. It rolled up the hill and then back down breaking from right to left down into the bottom of the cup for a par save. It really was one of the best chips I've ever had.

The best shot for the second round was on a par five where I had about 190 yards in and I had to go over a pond in front. I hit a medium height 4 hybrid that landed short but had a the right amount of run on it. The ball rolled up just past the pen to about 12 ft. I missed the eagle putt, but it was a easy par.

Took my new "in progress" swing to a new course on Saturday and on a par 3 over water i hit a beautiful shot inside 10ft and drained the birdie putt!
20210206_151810.jpg20210206_152102.jpg

On the Tribute Golf Links course, the 14th hole is a par 3 that was playing 135 yds to the pin, up hill and wind from behind out of the north. Temps around 50 degrees. Ball was not carrying very well due to heavier air. All day was a challenge judging the club to use due to temps, wind direction, etc. My 8 iron is normally a 140 club. With the wind at my back, it would normally be too much club. But, taking into account all the other conditions, I figured, what the heck, right? Made a good swing and the ball ended up pin high about 6 ft right of the pin. Made a good putt and it went in for a birdie.

This was not only the best shot of the round, but the best hole of the round. (well luckiest anyway). 130 yard par 3 over the creek. I hit a terrible drive that went into the creek. bounced off the jagged rocks and landed in a great spot on the front right side of the very challenging green on the 8th hole. This hole has bunkers in front and slopes down toward the creek in the front left. So my ball landed on the safest spot not on the green.

That isn't the best shot. I hit a second ball since I was playing solo that landed pin high about 10 feet from the pin. Also not the best shot. The best shot was my chip in of the first ball for a birdie - 50 degree Cleveland CBX2. But what is crazy is that I used the second ball as a reference point to aim at. No second ball to aim at and I probably would not have hit that shot "just so." All I could do was laugh. Didn't count for anything. But I was having a rough round so it improved my mood.

Had a great angle into a backstop pin from 78 and decided to play a Nebraska dart into it with a 54 D grind. Bullet, one hop and smacked the pin, fell dead at 2". Think it would have sat within a for 8 or two no matter what, cause that thing was spinning. Right on line and right how you wanted is always satisfying.

Shots like that really help stay committed to the new swing, don't they?
Yes they do.. my irons were so consistent it surprised me

9 foot eagle putt on hole 17 today. I don't have many eagle putt opportunities so if one goes in it means something to me.

Screenshot_20210208-162653_TheGrint.jpg20210208_162729.jpg

First 2021 Apex Pro IO 6.5 4i of the year! Not bad for speeding to the course, taking a couple quick 40* practice swings, and getting right to it. Hopefully the first of many. :)

Last edited:
Saturday - a drive that split the fairway and reached nice summer distances

Sunday - a pitch shot to about 2 inches (not exciting but I’ve been struggling with this for a while)

More rain has created variable conditions on the golf course. So, I had a few more chips than usual. We'll go with a chip short of the green on the #1 handicap hole to 1 foot for a kick-in par. Two hops and then stopped.

Best shot of my sim round today: 220y 5w to 2 feet; made the birdie.

Great sim weather today:

121DDC1C-5EDF-41F7-ACCC-0898B06A9CC0.png

This is pretty weird. I hit every fairway today and had 14 GIR, for a pretty stress-free round in an off and on drizzly weather day. But I'm having trouble coming up with the best shot of the round. Lots of good shots obviously. I think I'll go with the tee shot on the 3rd hole. It's a 70 degree dogleg right, but you can't go over the trees on the inside of the knee, you have to go around them. I'm not a long hitter, but pretty consistent. So, I hit a 270 yard draw around the inside of the knee leaving a wedge shot onto the green from the fairway.

Today it was downhill par 3 188 yards to a back flag. My stock 7-iron is a 155 carry and I made a good swing at the ball to leave myself about a 3 foot putt. The birdie 2 held up in the 12 man skins game , and paid $13.

Today it was downhill par 3 188 yards to a back flag. My stock 7-iron is a 155 carry and I made a good swing at the ball to leave myself about a 3 foot putt. The birdie 2 held up in the 12 man skins game , and paid $13.
Good shot DG! But I had to chuckle too. Starting a post on the best shot of the round by using the word "downhill" just didn't seem right.

I didn't have my phone to take a shot of it yesterday. I canned a 48 yarder from a deep lie and a tricky pin placement for a birdie yesterday. It was awesome. Won a skin with the shot. First skin win ever in a big group setting.

I didn't have my phone to take a shot of it yesterday. I canned a 48 yarder from a deep lie and a tricky pin placement for a birdie yesterday. It was awesome. Won a skin with the shot. First skin win ever in a big group setting.
Sounds like you'll remember that one for some time.

Sounds like you'll remember that one for some time.
I will. And I was smart enough to separate the ball and keep it. It is going into the save the ball pile. So far I have any potential HOI (none). Lowest score of year (90 in 2020, 91 - 2021). Any Eagle (still none). First time shoot below age on 9. (will keep first 41 if it happens before October.) First time I played a round with one ball did it last year sometime. First time shooting age. Got imagine I have at least 35-40 years until there is any shot of that. Special rounds for no reason. Kept Old Greenwood and another from Colorado this last year with my brother in laws son and his wife that was just fun.

Yesterday I played a tough course and on a par 5, I hooked my drive about 5 yards into the trees. I had to chip out and run it down the fairway to about 160 from the elevated green. I then proceeded to hit the highest and best 7 iron of my whole life to about 3 inches.
Another one yesterday was putting my drive on a short par 4 into the left rough/under trees about 70 yards from the green. I then chipped a 5 iron along the ground/under/through a few trees and the ball finished about a yard from the green in a great spot

Back