The best shot of the round

This one is a bit odd. I pulled my fairway metal a bit leaving me 80 yards from the green, but with a HUGE pine tree between the green and my ball. This required a bump and run under the tree, up a steep burn onto the green where the flag was only 2 paces from the front. Last thing I wanted was to be short and off the green, but I way overdid it leaving a 100 foot putt from the back edge of the green. The putt was the BSOTR as it rolled EXACTLY pin high and 2 feet right for an easy par avoiding giving any ground.:)

Birdie from 51' to close out a ridiculous front 9.

54 degree from 45y, one hop, rolled, dropped for birdie.

The course I played yesterday has a particularly challenging driving hole, the 15th. This is a mountain course and you tee off from the highest point on the course. The fairway descends to a valley then up and over another hill and down the other side. Sloping big time left to right the whole way. The shot goes over a valley and most find their tee shot at the bottom or partway up the next hill leaving a 150-175 yard blind second shot over that second hill (with an elevation of about 100 feet) down the other side and hopefully ending up on a green that slopes significantly away from the player and right. Left off the tee is dead: Trees, thick bushes and even a creek in play. But you are tempted to go up the left side, because anything middle left on the fairway or farther right will fall off the fairway into a grove of trees and hardpan right of the fairway.

So, you stand on the tee with this gorgeous view of the mountains and rolling hills in front of you and what looks like an ample wide fairway that is anything but.

I'm not long hitter like some of you. 260 yards is my average drive. On this hole, there is one chance to get it over that second hill and in the words of another player in my foursome I executed it perfectly. Launched the ball high and long down the left landing 5 yards from the left edge of the fairway about 2/3s of the way. This is the speed slot. The ball then bounced up and over the second hill moving right with the slope and ended up middle of the fairway 75 yards out from the pin. 295 yards out from the tee.

The course I played yesterday has a particularly challenging driving hole, the 15th. This is a mountain course and you tee off from the highest point on the course. The fairway descends to a valley then up and over another hill and down the other side. Sloping big time left to right the whole way. The shot goes over a valley and most find their tee shot at the bottom or partway up the next hill leaving a 150-175 yard blind second shot over that second hill (with an elevation of about 100 feet) down the other side and hopefully ending up on a green that slopes significantly away from the player and right. Left off the tee is dead: Trees, thick bushes and even a creek in play. But you are tempted to go up the left side, because anything middle left on the fairway or farther right will fall off the fairway into a grove of trees and hardpan right of the fairway.

So, you stand on the tee with this gorgeous view of the mountains and rolling hills in front of you and what looks like an ample wide fairway that is anything but.

I'm not long hitter like some of you. 260 yards is my average drive. On this hole, there is one chance to get it over that second hill and in the words of another player in my foursome I executed it perfectly. Launched the ball high and long down the left landing 5 yards from the left edge of the fairway about 2/3s of the way. This is the speed slot. The ball then bounced up and over the second hill moving right with the slope and ended up middle of the fairway 75 yards out from the pin. 295 yards out from the tee.
Nice. Hitting a tight speed slot is so satisfying.

Birdie from 38 yards. Got a photo this time.

Attachments

• IMG_3313.jpg
    IMG_3313.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_3312.jpg
    IMG_3312.jpg
    152.4 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:
Pitched in for eagle from 40 yds. Don't know why it seems to happen on days when the wedges are actually a little off, but one hop and a trickled a few inches to the cup.

Played 18 this afternoon after a long working weekend through this morning. The course i played has a 510 yard par 5 that is downhill part of the way. So for someone who is not the longest driver it is gettable. Drove my tee shot down the left side of the fairway nearly 300 yards. Then drove the green for an eagle try from 30 feet. Ended up with a kick in birdie. I'm happy with either one of the first two shots as BSOTR. But back to back was pretty sweet.

Pushed my 6i way right into a 200yd par 3. Seemed like just a random mistake, but looking back it was kind of the beginning of end for my good playing today. That was masked at the time though, by clipping a lovely 25yd 54* from below the right side of the green that dropped for birdie.

Last edited:
My home course has a nice Par 4 for the ninth hole. It is over a set of bunkers and slightly downhill. You can't see the green so always interesting to pick the right line. Well I was playing a quick nine after work and it was playing 311. I drove the green for the first time!! Missed my eagle putt but had 18" left for birdie.

9th Hole Tee Shot.jpg

Last edited:
Honestly can't decide between these 2. Hit them both just how I wanted, and got birdies on both.

20210303_123156.jpg
Wanted to spin this one up because a full 6 was too much, and it ended 8" from it's mark.

20210303_100950.jpg20210303_101139.jpg

Wanted to throw this one up high (rare for me) to have it come down more vertical with less spin, and it did. Stuck in it's mark.

With 4 birdies and 11 pars there were plenty of choices. But BSOTR was on a 190 yard par 3 over water and up a burn to an elevated green. Tee shot was a high baby draw to pin high 2 feet left of the flag.

I put a 100yd approach to 2", and a couple other real good ones, but it has to be this bunker shot.

Vertical camera angle does it no justice, but my other stand clip broke. Ball is on a downslope above my feet. Feel like that comes through on the swing and sweepy strike, but not the visual.

Dropped it for an eagle.

Last edited:
Playing two balls to get a little practice this afternoon while walking nine. We have this short par 5 at 460, it really should be a par 4. Smoked my first drive up the right where there is potential for lost ball, but also a speed slot that can launch the ball forward, had 120 left on that one. My second ball I hit much straighter but poor contact, had 192 left on that one. This was the result of my second shots, closer one is from 192 with a 5i. Made that putt, missed the other one.
d020c6af25a5bee8f2c25f5c578f226e.jpg

First round of the year on Sunday....made a 60 foot putt .....for bogey.

Sticking a sw to 1 foot from 100y was nice, but I like my 5i from 215 that found the green. Slight downhill shot that carried about 210. Had a 20 foot putt, but I don't expect to hit many greens from 200+ out.

Didn’t get a picture of it, but on the sim at X golf, hit a 285y bomb on 6 at Bay Hill, not as hood as Bryson managed to birdie it. Simulator golf tho so

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Clipped the flag from 95 and it horseshoe'd the cup coming back down at the pin. Tap in birdie and a ton of fun to watch and hear. Yeah.. Aw.. wait.. Get It.. Aohww!! :LOL:

On Sunday it was the 3 putts in the 15-20 ft range which dropped. I don't remember another round where i made 3 long ones. The new single line Ten is working for me!!

This time of year we get really odd pin placements on some courses. The superintendents try to give the greens a rest in the usual locations until the weather accelerates the growth where they can punch the greens and get things ready for the high traffic season.

BSOTR was an approach onto one of those odd pin placements. Green is kind of a bowl tilted to the right and they have the pin high on the left side 2/3 of the way back. I'm 135 yards out and hit a punch shot to keep it under the tree limbs. Landed it just left of the green which scrubbed off some speed, the ball turns right and on the second bounce onto the green settling in 15 feet from the hole. That may not sound like much, but with everything going on it was a precision shot to get it to stop that close.

Oh, made the delicate 3 foot right sweeping 15 foot putt for a birdie too.

20210310_100734.jpg

I was pretty pleased with this one. Wind seemed like it was coming off the right, but was inconsistent as heck, so wanted to punch it a bit to keep it from sailing. Coming out from that tee box cove they always seem to get pushed around. Flew and landed right where I wanted. Rolled out to 10', but got the birdie putt.

Last edited:

Can't tell if the tracer is quite right. It was struggling in the light and cloud conditions all day. Was really happy with this one though. 214 yards to 6.5' and a birdie is great, especially on an uphill into the breeze par 3, but mostly the best shot of the day because it's an exact shot and shape I recently worked on developing at the range for days when I'm fighting the physical things that were bugging me today. I naturally draw my long irons but there are days when some limitations exaggerate it in a way that's tough to make play. Thought this might solve that, and it felt awesome to put it to use and have it work well.

This drive!!! I’ve never taken driver on this hole, but I did today and I took a great line. Please ignore the chunked wedge after the drive...
8C954550-5ECB-4DC3-A6AB-5C305679F1CA.jpeg

Back