The best shot of the round

Today I found myself in the trees and needed to hit about a 60 yard shot but keep it under the branches. The pin was tucked right behind a bunker and there was another bunker to the right. I hit the ball just right of the left bunker it climbed the mound of the right bunker and rolled left toward the hole. Was left with a 10 foot birdie putt. If I dropped a 100 balls, I couldn't duplicate that outcome.

20210503_125444.jpg

Rolled right along the right edge of the cup and a couple feet past. Would have been a heck of an albatross, but I'll take an easy eagle any day, and it was a great way to finish a tough back 9.

piped a 238 yard drive right down the middle of a 315 yard hole

sitting 2 and facing a 220 yard approach with very tall trees in the way, I proceeded to smack a towering 5 wood well over the trees and with a good irish bounce, it landed on the front apron of the green for a chip and a bogey!

Maybe not the best, but most rewarding were two green side bunker shots. The sand was a bit packed due to rain the day before. Got the nice "thump" on both of them and one was a short side with about at 4 foot high slope to get up and over. Both were sand saves for par. A few years ago I had a six month case of bunker yips and couldn't hit a bunker shot to save my life. These felt really good.

Last edited:
Hit my two utility low and around a little tree past the ones I was hitting under. Golf’s fun when you hit the shot you see in your head.

I honestly think it was this ugly pitch last time out. It's a 623y par 5, pin towards the front and a fast green. Hit a good drive and my FW leaked just enough around the corner to get into some fluffy marshland (heavy rains recently). I wasn't confident I'd be able to clip it without getting too much grass/moisture between club and ball so punched it to try to just carry the front and plan on a little release. 3', and birdie on that hole feels like a win.

I honestly think it was this ugly pitch last time out. It's a 623y par 5, pin towards the front and a fast green. Hit a good drive and my FW leaked just enough around the corner to get into some fluffy marshland (heavy rains recently). I wasn't confident I'd be able to clip it without getting too much grass/moisture between club and ball so punched it to try to just carry the front and plan on a little release. 3', and birdie on that hole feels like a win.

The scorecard doesn't know whether a shot is ugly or beautiful, just whether it was effective or not.

This is an easy call. The best shot of the round was an eagle 2 on a long par 4. 440 yards. Good tee shot left me 180 yards to the flag. My second shot never left the flag. I turned away to store my club while it was still rolling toward the pin, but I knew it was going to be close. As we walked toward the green it became obvious the ball was nowhere to be seen. I turned to one of my playing partners and said, "I think it's in the hole." He said, "Naw, we'll probably find it off the back side of the green." It was a back pin, but I saw it roll and couldn't see it going much past the pin. I came around the back side and saw for certain there was no ball back there. So I met the other guy on the green and we both peaked in the hole. There it was!

This is an easy call. The best shot of the round was an eagle 2 on a long par 4. 440 yards. Good tee shot left me 180 yards to the flag. My second shot never left the flag. I turned away to store my club while it was still rolling toward the pin, but I knew it was going to be close. As we walked toward the green it became obvious the ball was nowhere to be seen. I turned to one of my playing partners and said, "I think it's in the hole." He said, "Naw, we'll probably find it off the back side of the green." It was a back pin, but I saw it roll and couldn't see it going much past the pin. I came around the back side and saw for certain there was no ball back there. So I met the other guy on the green and we both peaked in the hole. There it was!
Nice shot!!

Chip in from 20 yards for a birdie on #16. Was a little hot but hit the stick center and dropped.

The 17th hole at Iron valley has always plagued me. I hit it short right or down into the valley of death on the left. This time, I hit it to the back of the green to 3ish feet. It was a downhill breaking putt that found the cup. First birdie on that hole ever, where par was an elusive score for me.

View attachment 9006182

That’s a challenging course! Island green has to be my least favorite

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Drained a 40ish foot birdie putt on the third hole of a tournament despite rain and temps in the 40’s :sneaky:

The 8i on the par 3 7th today was fun. Best swing, best ball flight, and best result of the day (9ft left).

The only thing that would've made it better was dropping the birdie putt. :confused:

Thursday. 352 yard par 4, slight uphill. Played a cut off the tee but as luck would have it, hit some branches and dropped down towards me on the fairway. Basically about a 90 yard drive.

Second shot, 267 to the pin, absolutely nutted a 3W to the right edge of the green, pin high. saved par.

Smashed a 9 iron on a par 3 that was 151 yards uphill with a 10 mph headwind that stopped dead on the fringe on a back pin 6 ft from the hole. Extremely satisfying but of course squandered it with a 2 putt.

I wasn't trusting my swing change but went full bore with it and it paid off huge for the rest of the day. I now have some bastardized version of a Wolff/Furyk swing that feels incredible.

#7 at Sky Creek Ranch, 535yd Par 5. Tee shot was a little downhill and wind was helping out of the right. I hit driver 300yd thanks to nature. I had 235 to a far left pin. I aimed at the middle of the greenside bunker and hit a bullet draw with my hybrid that rolled up to 4ft. Made the eagle putt.
One of those rare times where you hit the exact shot you pictured in your head.
skr7.jpg

You can't hear me talking to myself in the wind, but I'm trying to psyche myself up to cut this up against that wind. If you can get over the corner on the right line there is a downhill on the last bit. Too far right though, and you kick hard right all the way down to a different green. Straight for me rolls through and then approach is blocked by a tree.

Screenshot_20210509-122234_TheGrint.jpg20210509_122005.jpg

Nailed it and had that for eagle.

Gotta be this 56° on #1. Such a tough elevated and sloped green. Got it to the right level and nearly made the birdie putt.
DCE8CEA3-F3A4-48A8-9A51-60DE541AFB99.jpeg303F110C-944D-47B9-8432-72177132AA45.jpeg

The first 4 of 5 holes today I missed the GIR, but chipped to within 18 inches on every one of them from various distances. That was quite fun and made for easy tap in pars.

Saturday was rough but on 18 at Turtle Creek, I put a 50* to 4 feet to set up the birdie putt (which I rolled in). This kept my birdie streak alive.
1620655662105.png

Sunday was a 46* from 125 that also set up a birdie putt. it was on an up hill lie. Hitting the green from there was fantastic (maybe a little lucky). Tough hole for me, so I didn't want to fail after keeping my drive in play.

1620655602615.png

I had a bunch of them today. Stuck a ton of approaches and dropped a lot of putts, got a sandy from a 25y plug, .. but this one was for eagle. Hit a great 3H from 250y to 20', and then when I got to it, I was surprised it looked straight. Play there a lot, and everything breaks towards the front of the green (my right). Trusted what I saw though, after a little bit of self talk haha, and snuck it in what should be the low side.

Last edited:

20210511_124458.jpg
Screenshot_20210511-124815_TheGrint.jpgScreenshot_20210511-125008_Gallery.jpg

It landed right next to the pin. There are weeks I feel like I do this half a dozen times on par 3's. Eventually, one of them is going to disappear on me. Kick in birdie though.

Yesterday while playing I hit a bunker shot that went out and hung on the grass just above the bunker. But the cut of the angle didn't allow me to take a stance. The ball was also a good 3 feet below the level of the green. So I hit a shot I have never hit before. One handed I could reach down to where the ball was. I made a short slap at the ball and it popped up and went 3 foot away from the cup. The guys looked at me like WTH was that...The caddie says, do you practice that shot....Ha20210510_112707.jpg The middle bunker was it....

Back