The best shot of the round

My best shot of the round yesterday was one of the best approach shots of my life! The 18th at Coronado is a par 5 and I had 240 to the pin into the wind for my third shot. There are bunker short left and short right. I very rarely hit the green from that distance but I absolutely smashed my 3 hybrid to about 5 feet. The front bunker is elevated so I had no idea where the ball ended up until I got up there. I must have had some spin on it as the ball was about 2 inches from the divot. I ended up draining the putt to finish off with a birdie.

My dad was out for a golf trip and it was pretty awesome to finish off a hole like that with him watching me drain the putt. Even at 37 there is something special about impressing your dad with your sporting prowess. Awesome shot to finish off a great weekend.

20210517_154554.jpg

Yesterday it was this one. One of these has to fall eventually. Has to.

20210518_120129.jpg

Today it was probably this one. Hole is a dogleg right, way uphill, and into the wind today with plug fairways. Drew this long approach enough to mostly hold the left wind, and it held to put me 3 up as we approached the turn.

Most shots today were of the good or competent variety as opposed to spectacular. I had 12/14 FIR and 10/18 GIRs though most of the missed GIRs were of the simple chips from just off the green variety. I'm going with the tee shot on the 17th hole for BSOTR. 170 yards over a pond onto a two-tiered green protected by bunkers right and left. Pin was on the top tier which is a small target. That tier is only about 30 feet wide and 5-15 feet deep. I put my tee shot 6 feet right, flag high and then made the birdie putt.

P.S. A college student in our group made his first hole in one. Pretty cool! It was a quality shot. 165 yard par 3 that he landed and we watched the ball dance around the cup then land and roll in. I almost followed his shot with a HIO of my own. Rolled just right of the cup. My quip to him was "You got it inside my ball again!" I took some pictures for him and he was on Cloud 9 the rest of the round.

Last night it was a par 3 over water which i hit to 12 ft. Unfortunately i left the birdie putt one rotation short but a tap in par isn't bad

I had 35 and 40 foot putts drop today. Each for birdies. Both had about a 3-inch break, though in opposite directions. Throw a blanket over them. Co-BSOTR.

Quote of the Day: The 40-foot putt was on a par 3 where amazingly all four of us were on the dance floor after teeing off. Two were inside of 10 feet. Mine was the only birdie. Overheard was one player in the group telling another, "Well, at least we made one of the four birdie chances."

4 Iron 215 yards, winds 25 mph left to right, stuck it 15ft from hole for eagle that I missed.
Haven't seen a eagle attempt in years, practicing hard and new irons is paying off.

Sent from my SM-N981U using Tapatalk

Probably my tee shot on the par 3 #17th hole. 140 yards to the flagstick with a pretty stout wind blowing a bit in, but hard from left to right. I hit my approach with my 8 iron right at the stick to just a few yards short of the hole and the ball tracked just past the cup burning the edge of the hole. It left me about a 6 feet birdie putt. It was a tricky down hill breaking hard from right to left. Drained the putt to keep the birdie streak alive at 3 rounds!!

Had three today.

First was a big drive on a par 4 that I hadn’t previously considered drivable. Not anymore!
4FF93CCB-AAF8-4DC4-B8EA-D3A338E0D728.jpeg

Second was a perfect 3 wood from 265. Got up and down for birdie.
E11AAB11-C711-4AC9-9143-B21FBA37A675.jpeg

Third was a great chip to get up and down for birdie after short-siding myself.
AB0ED9E1-C7D4-43F4-90A5-7D5C9D3034A1.jpeg

This one right here. Hit a good 9i that the wind grabbed and it came up short but stayed out of the bunker. Proceed to hit a great little pitch that tracked and dropped right in for a birdie.

Screenshot_20210521-225643_Shot Scope.jpg

Screenshot_20210521-113438_TheGrint.jpg

20210521_113215.jpg

This morning it was a chip in from there for an eagle finish.

Almost a carbon copy from yesterday. Tee shot on the par 3 17th using an 8-iron except for this time It was 2 feet from the hole. Easy birdie. Streak is alive at 4!!!

Hit the flagstick from 81 yards.

Hit a perfect 3 hybrid to give myself a 30ish ft look at eagle. Left it to tap-in range for my only birdie of the day.
641B007C-512B-41A0-ADAD-D56734608242.jpeg

This shot from yesterday. I didn't account for enough wind and ended up in that bunker. It required a sand shot over the next bunker to a pin that was tucked tight and a green running away. I hit an aggressive sand shot which landed just in front of the flag and rolled out to about 12ft. Screenshot_20210523-120312.jpg

Sh@nked a tee shot and ended up making double on 6...

Got my act together and hit 6i on the 175y par 3 7th to about 10 feet. Made the birdie putt.

Finally put one tight on the island green and dropped the birdie putt!
FD8CCD14-329E-45CD-B983-9086BEA0AE38.jpeg

While I am sure it doesn't happen often, I saw this picture and thought, 'Someone at some time probably hit that windmill on the fly and had it bounce back onto the green.
I mean now I kind of want to try... :LOL:

Final tee shot, #9 at Brea Creek. Pin high from about 132, elevated green. My only par of the day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A well struck six iron to reach the par 5 10th hole in two and set up an eagle putt that caught the edge and lipped out, leaving a short tap-in for birdie. Six is the least amount of club i have ever needed to reach this green in two.

20210523_105442.jpg

I had a couple really fancy sandies, but this one was tough today. Back is bad, and was having to take a good bit off the swing. Pin and tees back and this par 4 playing right at 500y. Easy swing drive to good position, and stuck this from 209y for an easy birdie on the toughest hole of the day.

Had my first ever ball in the water shot today. Ball carried the pond but was around 6 inches in the water. I was 110 yards out and blasted a 9 iron to just short of the green. I chipped to 4 feet and made the putt for par. I typically would not do this but it was a match and I didn’t want to be hitting 3. I won the hole BTW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

View attachment 9009163

I had a couple really fancy sandies, but this one was tough today. Back is bad, and was having to take a good bit off the swing. Pin and tees back and this par 4 playing right at 500y. Easy swing drive to good position, and stuck this from 209y for an easy birdie on the toughest hole of the day.

Nice little bounce in your step after you saw where it ended up! :)

45 yd chip in for bird. Ball was in the rough stuff and I was chipping into a green that was downhill, sloping left to right. It hit the edge of the green and just tracked to the hole like it was on rails. It felt good and settled me down for the rest of the round.

Nice little bounce in your step after you saw where it ended up! :)
Yeah, wasn't expecting to birdie 3 of the first 4, so it had me a little peppy. :LOL:

Back