The best shot of the round

Made 2 birdies today but my best shot of the round was on a 150 yard par 3.
Hit a terrible first shot and had to re-tee. I then proceeded to hit my 9 iron to 1.5in to save bogey.
It was great feeling even if it was a tap in for bogey!

Thinking back to my last round, I hit a decent drive on a par 5 and then badly topped a 4-hybrid down the fairway. But rather than getting frustrated, I just accepted the "good miss" and concentrated on my wedge. I hit a gorgeous wedge from 115 to about 5 feet and rolled in the birdie.

Lesson learned: the next shot can always fix things. Never give up and always focus on the next one.

Ball above my feet 5i from 200 found the front of the green to set up an eagle putt, that or hitting the island green pin high. Felt good.

In a bad round, I refuse to pick just one best shot. Don’t @ me!
  • Two full (really hard) swing flops over trees to put it on the green
  • Fairway bunker shot onto the green from 150
  • Slinging punch/slice from 150 that found its way onto the fringe
  • Downhill lie up against back lip of the bunker that I knocked onto the fringe

I’m torn. 9i off a par 3 tee to 6 ft. (Made birdie) Or a 5i from 187 out of a fairway bunker that landed on green and rolled to back fringe at 199. Pin back. Leaving me a good chance at par.

Thinking back to my last round, I hit a decent drive on a par 5 and then badly topped a 4-hybrid down the fairway. But rather than getting frustrated, I just accepted the "good miss" and concentrated on my wedge. I hit a gorgeous wedge from 115 to about 5 feet and rolled in the birdie.

Lesson learned: the next shot can always fix things. Never give up and always focus on the next one.

Similar experience for my best shot of the round today…

On 18, a par 5, it was hot, I was getting tired. I hit driver poorly but it wasn’t a bad miss. Probably went about 185y and just missed the fairway right.

The ball was sitting up in the rough so I took 3w and chewed up about 200y, leaving 120 from a slightly uphill lie.

Stuck it to 8 feet and made the birdie.

Never give up; just accept the shot and play the next one.

In a bad round, I refuse to pick just one best shot. Don’t @ me!
  • Two full (really hard) swing flops over trees to put it on the green
  • Fairway bunker shot onto the green from 150
  • Slinging punch/slice from 150 that found its way onto the fringe
  • Downhill lie up against back lip of the bunker that I knocked onto the fringe
Those are some solid recovery shots. Hitting anything from a bunker is hard enough, let alone from 150. Bam!

Holed out on a par 4 from 103

Birdied 1, but blew my tee shot through the fairway on 2. Only had 76y left, but was in the deep stuff, couldn't get any spin, and rolled 31' past the hole.

Got the putt coming back down for B2B, and it must have given me some confidence because it was the first of many good ones on the day!

Knockdown 48 from 127 to 4 feet.

20210707_145926.jpg

I hit 13 of 14 fairways today, but that isn't really unusual. I was 2/2 on sandies, but that had as much to do with the putting as it did the sand play. So, I'm going with a 35-foot putt for birdie as BSOTR. I caught fire late in the round canning this 35-footer after canning a 25-footer for birdie on the prior hole. I estimate I made about 155 feet of putts today.

154 yard approach into our par 4 #13. Hit a high baby draw 9-iron to about 8". Tap-in birds are lots of fun.

Missed #1 short and left at league and was left with a NASTY lie in the rough from 20 yards. It was more like chopping wood than hitting a golf shot, but I got it on the green to 10 feet and got a "holy crap how'd you do that from that lie" out of my opponent... which is why I love playing it down, haha.

A few shots of note today; a good drive on a par 5 would leave me with an iron in. I knocked it 300 leaving me with a shortcut over a pond 160 in.
I got a little fancy with a wedge on a 2 tiered green. I hit my approach chunky and was 10 yards short of the green. Big elevation change in the middle of the green allowed me to hit the chip past the hole, up the incline to roll back down towards the hole. Ended up 1 foot away for a tap in par.
My friends questioned if I did that on purpose. 😜

Screenshot_20210709-104235_TheGrint.jpg

Played this drive perfectly off the right edge (slopes left) and left myself a wedge into a front pin on a par 5. I stuck some real good short approaches during the round, but I'd take more of these drives, please and thank you.

had a great time out there today by my standards.
Nominated for best shot of the round: uphill putt for birdie across the 6th green, about 10m. Got it on a good line and past the hole. Left myself about 1.5m and sank the return.
How's that good? 2 days of heavy rain, unmown, ultra slow greens, and i only just started adding some deliberate putting practice.

What do you add first for putts you need to hit hard? Wrist cock or hip turn?

What do you add first for putts you need to hit hard? Wrist cock or hip turn?

Lots of debated schools of thought.

I still try to keep a pendulum, but after I pick my spot I think tall, loose, and then as I start in thinking release. Body just works towards that feel. I more worried about getting a good roll on the ball at length than anything else. I used to stiffen and it made me more inconsistent on just about everything involved.

Last edited:
Yesterday I left myself in a bad spot, 47 yards out, short-sided to a green sloping away from me. OUCH! The only good part about that was the 47 yards out. That was enough to sky a 1/2 wedge land it just short of the green in the rough and have enough spin to stop it 5 feet past the hole. Made the putt for an up and down par save.

Played my first match play against a stranger today from the back tees. He was a ex-D2 player and more talent than I could imagine having.

I was 1 up going to 18, he smokes a drive right down the middle, I top mine. I hit my 7 wood to about 130 yards.
Shot of the round: I hit a soft PW into a headwind to about 16ft.

Best part: I made the 16 footer for a miracle par and he missed his birdie putt for me to win 1 up.

Crazy part is that I just got stitches in my finger and probably should not have been playing golf at all!!

He gave me a lot of strokes but the match was well handicapped. He also shot a 71.

Most fun I have ever had on a golf course with strangers

hole 18. absolutely horrendous drive left me behind some trees in some light rough/hardpan. but i could keep it low and send it down the fairway a good bit. hit a low 5i that went a good ways and was left with 115. wind in off the right, hole in the front left, all carry. i had a decent lie on a little upslope. but it had been cpo all day due to heavy rains, and this was near a drain so already a little soft. hit gap wedge and knew right off the face it was money. finished about 4’ left of the pin, easy birdie for two in a row and to shoot level par on the back. which was pretty nice given how hot it was, and how exhausted i was from the cpo. i managed to miss every drive on the opposite side of the hole. lots of walking back and forth lol.

par 5 no. 9 is 475 from the whites and I hit a good drive and 2nd shot, ending between 2 traps guarding the green. Thought to myself, just make this and did with a 20 yard 56 degree wedge for eagle, my first for the year.

par 5 no. 9 is 475 from the whites and I hit a good drive and 2nd shot, ending between 2 traps guarding the green. Thought to myself, just make this and did with a 20 yard 56 degree wedge for eagle, my first for the year.
Congrats, man! That's awesome.

Back