The best shot of the round

I had two that stood out today. I put a 52° inside 2 feet from 110 and laced a 3h from 215 to about 15 feet.

Round 2’s best shot was a wedge stuck to 3 feet on the island green par 3. With the group in front of me on the green waving me up. The pressure was real!

170 yard par 3, hit a great 7 iron that I thought was short but wound up 6' and a 210 yard par 3 that I put a 4 iron to 15-20'. Was TOTALLY pumped with both shots.

20210711_102019.jpg20210711_102138.jpg

I stuck a few today, but this is a tough par 3, and one of my weakest on the course. Breeze in from the left but worried about going long with a 6 - past the pin it gets real slick away. Pured a 7i draw 188y to hold it's line and the green for a kick in birdie.

Dropped a birdie from 57 feet.

I made a real mess of a par 5 today.

Sliced a drive into the left rough. This was cart path only conditions and knee high rough.

Tried a hero shot punch 6i that completely flubbed to about 32yards still in the rough.

Decided to take my medicine and pitch out to the fairway. Hit a flyer that cleared the fairway on the far side. Couldn't go at the pin due to a inconvenient shrub. Hit a 56 to the left edge - 30' from the hole.

Best shot of the round was the resulting putt, 30' sloped down left than up right double breaking over a soaked green. Hit it to about 4 inches to save bogey with the tap in.

Screenshot_20210711-201814.jpg

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

No birdies so my best shot was off the tee. Played a course for the 2nd time ever with a friend; short downhill par 4 with a pond near the green. Driver is too much so I hit a 3w, pushed it a little right, but it hit the down slope and ran out to 305 yards. 4 more feet and I would be wet in the pond.

Maybe 3W is not the best choice for that hole, but I can't plan to hit it that well, well, ever.

It was on the 10th hole... par 5. It was my 4th shot because I'd hit such a bad 3rd shot - the one that should have landed on the green near the flag but instead I skulled over into the tall dry fescue where I was lucky to even find the ball. The place where the grass wraps around the hosel and shuts the club face so the ball only goes a couple of feet. I had a 30 yd shot back onto the green it was that bad, pitching from Hell. I used my 54, the club I trust. I took a few practice swings and felt how much the club face twisted. I opened the club face and took my swing, firm, and hacked it out where it landed 12 feet from the hole and rolled another 4 leaving an 8 foot putt. This was one shot that went exactly as planned.

Ben Hogan said if you have 3 shots that go exactly as planned you had a good round. I'm still working on getting those other two shots.

I two putted for bogey.

Today all parts of the game were humming...except my approach shots, which left me around but not on the green a bunch of times. I made 11/12 up and downs and none of the putts made were beyond 5 feet, so BSOTR has to be a chip shot. We'll go with the 60 foot pop and stop on the 5th hole that stopped 4 feet behind the hole. You've got to love it when everyone in your group yells "STOP", you say "It will" and it does.

Had started off a bit of a mess, and decided I needed to get it together on the first par 3. 216y 5i to 2'.

20210714_121232.jpg

I finished with something brilliant from a bunker, but this was probably the best, because I'd been a little off on the front. Controlled drive to position off the tee on #10, and then stuck this wedge from 82 on a downhill lie into yet another pin just a couple paces on, and it got me going for a bunch of good wedges and a 30 on the back.

There wasn't really anything that stood out yesterday, so I think it would have to be between either the drive on the 6th that faded round the corner in the middle of the fairway leaving a wedge to the green, or the 50yd wedge I hit on the 18th that finished a foot from the hole

The one shot which stands out from my round yesterday was a chip from some "snaggy" rough which I played correctly and hit the hole but lipped out. I also had some clutch putts in the 5-10 ft range which dropped which are a close second.

My drive on the 7th hole. Hit a nice one right down the gut. While searching for my ball, the other twosome in our group pulled up and asked what we were looking for, to which I replied my ball. One of the guys pointed up the fairway and said it’s about 50 yards closer to the green. I was shocked because I never expected that as i was searching for it where it almost always landed. Thing is I‘d been struggling with a slice the last few rounds, but had figured out on the range earlier that day that I’ve been swinging too hard. All I did was step up to the ball and take a practice swing. I had several other shots that round that went farther than normal, including my approach shot after that bomb, which went over the green. Slower is faster……

I hit my driver hard on the 537 yard 15th hole yesterday but pushed it into the trees. I had 242 yards left to the flag and had to play my old Titleist 19* 3 iron back in my stance to keep the trajectory under the tree branches the first 70 yards. I hit a perfect low bullet and I got a good kick off the backside of a fairway bunker and made it to the front of the green for the easy two putt birdie. I've been at my club 4 years and it was the first time I've reached that green in two with an iron without having a tailwind.

Today was one of those days, a great one. That said the shot that stood out was on my previous nemesis hole. Par 3 back pin at 176 yards. Bunker guarding the green. I usually laser the top of the bunker and that’s my target. My irons have been flying well so I pulled a 7 iron. Dropped it 2 ft in front of the pin, it took a big hop and ripped back to within 2 ft. 21E0C531-5429-48C7-AC3D-C4480F82C8D1.jpeg

I had some great shots today, but there's nothing like hitting a good drive, a good approach to give you a chance, and then topping it off by dropping the putt for eagle.

I had some great shots today, but there's nothing like hitting a good drive, a good approach to give you a chance, and then topping it off by dropping the putt for eagle.

I wouldn’t know but there is always tomorrow. ;)

20210716_084639.jpg

We played a game today. It was called Wait on the Mower Guy Forever, and then he just doesn't leave, just waves you to hit at him, so try not to kill him to hit pins.

This was a good start to that game from 89y for an easy birdie. Worker wasn't fast with his actual task, but he was with thumbs ups whenever I stuck one. Lol

I had plenty of good shots, but probably the most satisfying was a recovery shot, the third shot on a par 5. The second shot on a par 5 needed to draw left to right around the dogleg and didn't leaving me off the fairway left and needing to go under the trees. So I pulled my 3 hybrid and hit a 130 yard bump and run onto the green that settled in 20 feet from the pin for a 2-putt par.

This one is easy. I had the closest I’ve ever come to a hole in one today! It was a 180yrd par 3 (but playing 155 because it’s off a cliff). I hit a 9i and thinned it; somehow still landed middle green and started rolling. It kept getting closer to the hole and then stopped. From the tee box, it looked like it was only inches away. Turns out it was closer to 2-3ft, but still damn near close. I couldn’t get down the hill fast enough to find out.
B7D3291F-5AE3-4A1C-943E-CA1B5334B4EC.jpeg

30 foot putt to save par after two forgettable shots on a par 3.

The best shot of the day was a 70' putt, uphill on a tiered green sloping down to the left. Didn't read quite enough break and it just missed the hole, leaving me a 6" tap-in. Hit two 58* wedges, one from 42 yards to four feet, one from 49 yards to seven feet. I'm to the point now that I'm salivating if I'm 45 +/- 5 yards from the flagstick.

Pulled a shot long over a par 3 green. It was in a valley between two mounds on a downhill lie. Chipped it with my 58* low about 5 yards onto a sloped part of the green, it checked, rolled about 5 more yards and lipped out of the hole to leave me a 1 in putt.
Made a couple of birdies today, but that par save was the best feeling since I was pretty much dead

Flop shot hole out (over a bunker to a tight pin) for birdie and a skin 😎😎

Back