The best shot of the round

3w from 222 to 8 feet. Beautiful draw out and around the trees, hit in front of the green and rolled up and just past the pin.

Little over 200 out to a back pin on a two-tiered green today. Hit a 4h that landed just on top of the shelf and finished pin high. Probably the first tap in par I've had on that hole in years.

Early round I hit a great hybrid into the wind to make par after a poor tee shot.
C347BCDA-D64A-44E6-BBA9-190B4D9534E0.jpeg

Round 2 was the 3 woods on par 5’s. Two great shots from poor lies.
2B391575-E2BE-4398-AEAB-9CA581272FB4.jpeg
71C454BC-389F-43B2-9C3E-BBA6BA326348.jpeg

Horrid round. Dislocated knee. Still on the 6th hole, par 3, hit a 9i and hop stopped it 3' from the hole. One putted for the bird. Closest I've been to an ace in years.

Ironically, the best shot of the round came immediately after my worst shot of the round. Short par 4, narrow and downhill then back up hill to the green, I topped the everliving out of my tee shot with my 3 wood. Didn’t even reach the fairway. No clue what happened. Get up to the ball, had 220ish to the green, downhill lie in the rough. I striped a 4-hybrid to about 12 feet. Two putt par.

Just a wedge pin high from 115.

Been working all week on being smooth but aggressive with the goal of getting PW distance up from 105 to 120… this was my first on-course approach that called for 115-120 with trouble short. Trusted the wedge and got it there.

Early round I hit a great hybrid into the wind to make par after a poor tee shot.
Round 2 was the 3 woods on par 5’s. Two great shots from poor lies.

Getting a long club to stick on the green on #3 is tough! Well struck!

Saturday's best shot was from the sand after a mess off the tee. The sand shot allowed me to make the par putt.
1626709265174.png

Sunday's best shot was easily the LW from 90 yards. I landed it a foot past the hole, spun it back into the pin, bouncing to 4" away for a tap in birdie.

1626709500598.png

I hit a poor drive that was left of some trees. Flag was about 182 uphill which required 2 clubs up. I pulled a 5 iron and hit a draw (pushed it slightly) and walked up to the green. To my surprise I was 2ft from the cup.

The worst shot of the round was when I missed that birdie putt:(

Best shot of yesterdays round was a greenside bunker shot. Had a good amount of green to work with, made a good swing with the 54* wedge and clanked the pin on the roll that left a foot for par.

90 yd GW, to a green that was ~15 ft above the drainage ditch I was near. There was a massive pine tree on my line that I didn't think I had any chance to clear, but tried to do it anyway. The ball cleared it with ease, landing in the middle of the green.

It gave me a chance to save par (spoiler: I didn't) after a poor drive into the trees left me no chance of reaching the green in regulation.

1626720781239.png

Blind 3w approaches after less than stellar drives... Can't decide which was the best

Screenshot_20210719-160442.jpg

Screenshot_20210719-160420.jpg

20210719_152007.jpgScreenshot_20210719-152234_TheGrint.jpg20210719_152249.jpg

Swinging like an old man right now, but still getting it done on occasion. Back pin on the long, slightly uphill par 3 today. P7MC 5i 218y to just under 2' for an easy birdie.

Last edited:
FWIW, I loved the flight plan.
The tracer gets just a little off as it goes (tried to adjust it), but it's a pretty good representation and I've always enjoyed the flight I get with those heads.

I hit a perfect 6 iron from 189 yards to a very tough flag on the par 3 11th hole. Easy 2 foot birdie.

17th hole, 360 yard par 4, very straight and narrow with no room for error on either side. Been hitting my driver well all round, so I take a chance and hit a nice straight drive about 230 yards, leaving me about 130 yards to the flag. Only problem is I can’t hit my irons right now with any consistency, so my nine iron is out.

So I take my 7 hybrid, which for some reason I’m able to actually hit OK half the time, and take a 3/4 swing…and watch as the ball hits just short of the green and rolls to 7 ft. My buddy was sure I threw the ball onto the green.

Of course the birdie putt lipped out, but still - best shot of the day!

Literally my first shot today.
Was meant to play at 5pm today, I arrived straight after work (4:45) ready for a quick warmup before playing. Went into pay, saw my group was being sent out early through the window. Literally ran round to the first tee, got told to just hit my ball.

Took my driver out (which has not been too reliable recently but hey). Half a practice swing with 7 people watching me and proceed to stripe it down the fairway for a 280 yard. I was grinning from ear to ear as I walked back to my cart to head off down the fairway.

Screen Shot 2021-07-20 at 10.24.42 PM.png

Today was an unusual round in so many ways. The ball was going so short even though I was nutting it. Then after 5 holes I figured out IT WAS THE BALL. Cover had a bunch of cracks and the distance came back as soon as I substituted the ball.

I 1-putted the first eight holes and 1-putt 14/18 holes on the day with the other four being 2-putt holes for a total of 22 putts on the day. I don't think I've ever had 22 putts for a whole round. Yet I only made one putt beyond 10 feet. Whether by approach, pitch or chip I was around the hole most of the day. A lot of those chips were on line just short of the green. In July during a drought you'd expect those to bounce up on the green, but the course was playing soft, partly because of watering and partly because they've let the grass grow longer than usual. There was a regional PGA PAT scheduled for today right behind us.

So I'm going to go with the longest putt made given the overall putting. A 25-footer uphill that broke 4 inches to the right, center cut.

Almost got another one.

Par 3, 141 yards, hit a flighted down touch 9i, almost dunked it. :oops:

8F1145D4-3F54-473A-9773-8450738DE0F5.jpeg

Camera lost focus, but what can you do..

20210721_121721.jpg

It's a 3 tiered green that's way uphill and just about impossible to hold on the top two levels. I've flown 6 irons up there that have come back down the pitch. Not today though. Cut an 8i exactly how I wanted and stuck it at 162y just over the last ridge and 5' below the hole for an easy birdie. Pretty sure it's the first time I've birdied it on anything besides a lowest tier pin.

Oh, it was 80's music day today btw. :LOL:

Last edited:
It was a terrible round. My best shot was, get this, a layup into a par 5 with a 22° hybrid... after dropping to hit 4 following an OB drive. No kidding.

But I flushed the snot outta that layup.

I don't generally have something that I think was a really a great shot that sticks out in my mind but I did yesterday.

Our 11th hole is a 245 yard par 3. Yesterday the tees were up and it played about 225. I hit a very solid 3 w that ran to the back of the green and was on the edge of the green, collar with a very tight lie. There was a massive ridge in between me and the ball and I couldn't figure out how a putt might behave. I clipped a 58* wedge off a very tight lie (think right off the green) to a downhill pin and it rolled out to 6" for a tap in par. It was a little bit similar as Gary Woodland's shot on 17 at the US Open. Obviously not the same pressure but I couldn't find a different way to get it close and I executed it perfectly.

I don't generally have something that I think was a really a great shot that sticks out in my mind but I did yesterday.

Our 11th hole is a 245 yard par 3. Yesterday the tees were up and it played about 225. I hit a very solid 3 w that ran to the back of the green and was on the edge of the green, collar with a very tight lie. There was a massive ridge in between me and the ball and I couldn't figure out how a putt might behave. I clipped a 58* wedge off a very tight lie (think right off the green) to a downhill pin and it rolled out to 6" for a tap in par. It was a little bit similar as Gary Woodland's shot on 17 at the US Open. Obviously not the same pressure but I couldn't find a different way to get it close and I executed it perfectly.
That's a really well thought out play. Despite the general advice to putt whenever you can, you've described perfectly one of the situations where you are better off with a chip or a pitch shot (assuming reasonable competency in hitting chips and pitches). Well done.

Back