The best shot of the round

I’ve been working very hard on driver for the past month. On hole 10 this past Friday I hit a perfect (planned) little draw that went 250 (big distance for me). It felt great off the club and watching it start right and slowly peel left was incredible. Birdied the hole as well.
5DC35070-6757-4F90-B05C-D5621B202923.jpeg

Chipped in for a birdie. And had 2 approaches to less than 4 feet. Today I definitely had IT. I love days like today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I especially enjoyed an 8i out of the rough. Beautiful ball flight the stayed right on the stick the whole way

Had a similar shot yesterday... I know it's fun to post about hitting bombs and all that, but I often find that my favorite shots of the round don't include the driver.

325y par 4. Pulled a 3w into the left rough. Pin was middle left, bunker right, steep drop off if you go long. 144y to the pin. Tree branches about 30y out from my position called for a draw.

I was thinking 8i, which carries 140y for me but... gave it some thought, with the draw and the drop off long, and took 9i. Aimed at the middle of the green, if it draws, great, if not, should be ok.

It came off just like I saw it in my mind, slight draw around the trees, landed on the front edge with draw spin and rolled up pin high to about 6 feet. Made the putt for a 3.

Two shots on Sunday stood out, both leading to birdie putts, though only 1 dropped.

8i from just over 160 to 6 feet, and my 50* from 120 to 3 feet. I was very happy watching these track towards the pin!

8i on hole 4:

1635168165191.png 1635168195574.png

50* on hole 12:

1635168282666.png 1635168305083.png

Instead of trying to drive the green I did the smart thing and layed up with 5 iron then hit a wedge inside a foot for a tap in birdie.
20211024_130557.jpg

Been working thru a case of the hooks that I have managed to turn into a slight draw… and haven’t been able to hit a fade at all for awhile now.

Had 140y in to a tight pin playing a super casual solo practice 9 last night. It’s a pin I usually would not attack, but I wasn’t keeping score, so why not.

140y carry for me is an 8i but I only brought 7 clubs out with me and 8i was not among them, so I had to try to take something off a 7i and cut it a bit to hold the wind.

I hit the best gentle fade I’ve hit on the course in months, starting at the pin and working a bit right against the wind, just as I saw it in my mind.

It ended up about a yard short and found the bunker, but I didn’t care, it was the shot shape I wanted.

Toughest par-4 on Sonterra's South course is #11. I pulled my drive into the trees, but it popped back out into the middle of the fairway 205-yards out with a slightly downhill lie. The greens had just been redone, so they were very firm. I managed to hit a high fade into the center of the green with my 4-iron and the ball checked and rolled to the right, finishing about 12' behind the hole. I lipped out the birdie and thought I had squandered my best skin opportunity on the day, but as it turned out, par was good on that hole!

I think I had a couple better shots, but since this was for eagle, it's gotta be the winner. Hard to see with the lens distortion but I'm kind of in a bowl greenside left and everything runs towards the front right. Was trying to get it close to make sure I got the birdie, and boom!

20211029_134440.jpg

197 to the pin with a very strong right crosswind.

20211029_134819.jpg

ZX7 7i 196 to 3.5' and an easy birdie on a hole and a day where nothing came easy.

We got 4 inches of rain here in the last few days, leaving most local greens bumpy. So, while I felt like I executed well on putts, I didn't end up with much to show for it. We'll go with a recovery approach shot as BSOTR. Pulled my drive leaving me off the fairway on hard pan. Only 110 yards out, but had to fly over some tall olive trees to a green that sloped back to front, but more importantly away from me. Took advantage of the softer greens and flew over the trees landing 6 feet right of the flag it jumped one foot left and stopped. Made the 5 foot right to left breaking putt for birdie.

First hole in over a month and I pushed my drive and my approach leaving myself this shot. Got up and down for par with a great chip and a nice putt.
69E08D7F-C9C1-44E9-A84D-E9CC2751B07A.jpeg961C2405-6CDC-418E-AC94-36579FE458B9.jpeg

Pushed my drive right but stuck my PW close for my lone birdie of the round. Irons have been working well since summer. I still need to work on my partial wedge shots...

1635640649613.png

I had a great approach on 5 at Torrey Punes South. After bombing my only good drive of the day out to 310 in the fairway I had 95 left to the hole. I had really been struggling with my ball striking and was pretty nervous about the shot as it’s a tough green. I hit a perfect 3/4 sand wedge with a baby fade that was tracking on the perfect line and went about 15 ft above the pin into a steep down slope. The greens had just been punched and were covered in sand so it stuck right where it landed, in normal conditions it would have rolled right down to the hole. Everything about the shot felt awesome from the flush contact to the big divot that I like to see. It felt great to hit one close and get the par after a tough downhill wobbly putt in the sand.

Screenshot_20211031-112114_Video Player.jpg20211031_112409.jpg

Hit a sweet 6i 206 over the corner to 5' and an eagle. Wife lipped out her birdie, but it was still a heck of a hole for our little family today. :D

A rope hook 3H from 225 to escape being 20 yards deep in the left woods. Landed 2 ft from the pin and released to back of green - not sure how it hooked what felt like 75 degrees and still stayed in the air.
The joys of match play haha, would never have even tried it in a stroke play situation.

So on Saturday while playing Wolf, I may have hit the shot of my year. Flared a 7 iron off the tee to get blocked out by some trees about 145 yards out and on a terrible side hill draw lie.
if I got the ball more than 15ft off the ground I would have hit trees and could not go left.
I grabbed my 7 iron, didn’t think mechanics, just hit the ball low and slightly right.
It proceeded to come off exactly like I had imagined, only got about 14ft off the ground and landed about 10 yards off the green. Bounced and rolled exactly how I wanted and the ball rolled to the middle of the green about 15ft from the hole.
Unfortunately I did not make the putt, but the opposing team bogeyed the hole so we still won.

0C4BBB04-C373-4BDB-A417-2B1F1768487E.jpeg
Not the snap hook drive, not the thinned 4 DI, not the fatted 4 DI to hack my way to 91 yards from the hole. That kind of set the tone for what had to be an ugly shot. Then I hit a partial 56 degree wedge that landed about 1 ft. left of the pin, bounced 6” and spun back to 4 ft. I calmly stepped up and 2 putt that. But that partial wedge in there, that’s what’ll keep me coming back.

My best shot was a double breaking putt from 19 feet to save par. Is there a better feeling than watching a long putt drop??

My new FJ jacket arrived in the mail today, just in time to play in 50 degree weather. I mention to the starter about getting used to new clothes and he offers a tip on body rotation instead of only swinging with your arms. I'm swinging longer and straighter off the tee today. I get to the 9th hole, which is 140 yards deep and even wider, so the only way to lose the ball is to hit it past the hole. First ball disappears. Can't find it, though I thought I heard it land in the leaves. Look for it, give up, and tee it up again with the 4I. This time I see and hear it bounce off a tree behind the green! 150 yard carry with a 4I. First time I've seen one of my shots carry 150 yards! It was a nice smooth swing both times. My 9th round on a nearby Executive golf course.

Last edited:

Got chewed up in the wind off this par 3 tee. Came up just short. Proceeded to make up for it with a chip in birdie. :)

Today was a tale of two nines. The first nine was fairways and greens, fairways and greens. The second nine had four or five recovery shots. On the 17 hole I hit a monster fairway metal from about 275 out, but pulled it right. Found the ball on the far side of a ditch that runs right of the treeline. 80 yards out I had to account for the downslope sideways lie, trees I had to go in between and a green that sloped right from where I was coming. Dropped it 5 feet left of the hole and made birdie.

Honorable mention to another recovery shot on the par 4 12th hole. My drive put me left of the treeline on the left requiring a low punch shot from 125 yards out. Put it on the green feeding toward the hole.

Lots of nice chip shots including one just two feet from the hole, but my best shot was also a recovery shot.

Slice rolled right up to a tree. Took a drop. Hit a low sweeping shot that went 80 yards over a rise to the middle of the fairway, leaving me with an easy 40 ft chip to the hole.

Back