The best shot of the round

Missed left on an uphill par 3 and ended up with a 30y flop from the rough over a bunker to a tight pin. Opened up the 54 and hit it to 8 feet; made the putt for 3.

Wild slice off the tee, but hit a miracle 5i to the green. Please do not count the number of putts after. :)

1636382810997.png

On hole #8 at my local course I thinned one out a hard pan, green side bunker across the green into the second cut. Had a down hill, very quick chip that moved to the left once it touched the green. Hit it exactly how I intended and saved par. Doesn’t happen often but it really feels good when you can pull it off.

Last edited:
2nd/approach after hitting left off the tee...not a slice so much as bad alignment...wound up in the rough with no real shot to advance...saw a lane along the left side that, if it worked, would put me close, if not on, to the green. not much wiggle room but i figured i can hit a ball straight, right? so i pulled out the 4h and hit a low stinger that went straight down that lane and had it not hit a rough patch, it would've rolled onto the green. left me an easy (who am i kidding? nothing is easy for me, tho) 20yd chip to the hole to save par.

Made 2 putts in the 15-20ft range to save pars. My putter saved my round!

Had three approaches to less than 5 feet. Missed all 3 putts for birdie. But to be fair all of them were downhill with a good amount of break on insanely fast greens.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

B3BAA80C-6F3E-4AB2-BE46-7215D8F7B98F.png

1) From just over 204 I decided to pull PW instead of a fade 4h that could have brought water into play. That’s pretty huge for me.
2) You can’t see it from the screen shot, but there is a steep hill to the left of the green. The green slopes towards the water. Downhill shot with a 60* needed a not quite full wedge in. Played it halfway between the flag and the left fringe with a right to left wind to let the slope work to my advantage. Started it right where I wanted and it spun right onto the green. I overread the slope, but it was executed how I drew it up. It was such a weird feeling planning a shot to miss the green so I’d have the best chance for a par.

I probably wasn't as pleased as I should be on a long birdie putt, but it had been a rough couple holes prior.

That was from yesterday and I guess I never hit Post Reply. I'll have to reflect on today.

I did it again. Got out of the deep bunker in front of hole #8. This time I made the long putt for par! The last time I played it reached the green with my tee shot but three putted. :rolleyes: The green is really fast with a ton of break, so a chip from the hardest bunker is the easiest to hold the green, if you can get out of deep bunkers. At least for me, the best shot is to aim directly at the pin and hit it a little short of the pin.

But, I looked at the bunkers at most people don't like to do that. The bunker to the right gets far more traffic than the front bunker.

The hole in question is a par 3 of about 200 yards with a huge burn in front of the green. Flag was about 1/3 of the way back, so of course my tee shot came up short on the burn and rolled back. 40 foot chip up the burn, onto the green, rolling and jarred. BSOTR.

I stuck a few, but I liked this one the best. I was specifically focusing on my wedge approaches today, and this one went exactly how I wanted. 67y, kept it low, left of the hole, one hop and hit the breaks hard, and then settled to the right for a kick in birdie from about a foot.

And it won me $2. :D

I hit 2 really great 5 woods from the fairway and a 9 iron straight over the flag.

Hooked my approach shot over a hill onto the cart path. After rolling down the cart path it is still on the cart path, so I remember to take a free drop. Better, but the lie is mud with a little bit of grass. I use my SW to chip to 8 feet of the hole! 2 putt for double bogey.

They moved the pins. I was pretty good at reading bermuda greens as a little kid. That skill is coming back to me. I'm making longer putts. :)

A 7i got in a right wind enough to miss the green earlier, but I kind of short armed this one to avoid the same fate and man it looked like it had a chance at the jar in the moment.

Edit: I don't remember what my exact words were at the end of that, but I'm certain they weren't what they sound like here. Lol

Weather was too good today in New England not to play golf! It was in the 60s!
As I played and raked leaves yesterday I decided it was time to play the trusty 7 iron off the tee.
I reached one of the par 4s with two 7 iron shots. GIR!

Par 3, T100S 4i from 217 to 10 feet. :love:

Today was one of those very rare rounds of all pars. When that happens obviously a lot of things are going right. Hit all but one fairway, lots of good approach shots, good putting. But there obviously are a few outstanding recovery shots too. So, we'll go with one of those. On a par 5 that doglegs right about 350 yards off the tee, I pushed my second shot left (I play mostly left handed). The ball was sitting about two feet behind and one foot left of a big tree trunk and about 120 yards out. Using my 4-hybrid back in my stance I hit a 1/2 swing knockdown so I didn't crash the club into the tree trunk and put it on the green.

A 4 iron off the tee. It wasn't working the last round so I switched to the 7 iron.
Today I did a three chip shots with the 4 iron as part of my warmup routine .
No range, just a green to practice chipping and pitching.
Went exactly where I wanted it to go to set up my approach shot. :)

Most likely the last round of the season. A nice round in good weather.
Need to catch up on my gardening before winter arrives.

A 4 iron off the tee. It wasn't working the last round so I switched to the 7 iron.
Today I did a three chip shots with the 4 iron as part of my warmup routine .
No range, just a green to practice chipping and pitching.
Went exactly where I wanted it to go to set up my approach shot. :)
That’s a great feeling!

Eh, probably this one. I mean, annoyingly, it didn't go in. It did give me a birdie I just had to blow on though, on a par 5 where I was in the trees off the tee and had to hit a cutting 4i off pine needles and below some branches to that position. So it definitely felt like a big win turning that hole around.

Today was one of those rare wild and windy days. Generally, 2-3 club winds changing intensity and direction moment to moment. Somehow had FIR on all but one hole and THAT drive landed in the middle of the fairway! Wind and slope got it to roll out off the fairway right. Also, only 25 putts on the round on a day where the ball was being pushed around on the green.

But that was due mostly to outstanding approach shots and chipping. No long bombs were made.

Did lots of shot shaping with the drives to put them in the fairway. Draws, fades, low trajectory knockdowns. Stuff like that. So, we'll go with a drive.

10th hole on this course is a par 5 with two doglegs. Off the tee the fairway doglegs about 70-degrees with two trees sticking out from the inside of the knee 230 yards out. 250-270 yards out will put you on the fairway beyond those trees. 250 yards is my average drive. With the wind I needed a little extra. I swing left handed and choose to hit a medium-low draw that was a little hooky, knowing the wind was going to try to counter, and the draw would give me a little extra distance. That's exactly what happened with the ball drawing left to right around the outer tree.

Very satisfying having a day that demanded shaping shots off the tee and pulling it off.

wasn't part of my round but on the way out, and passing the tee box for a tree lined par5 that i normally play the white tees from (and never a driver from them), i wondered if i could play my driver from the blue tees...most people were gone so i figured i'd give it a go. 1st attempt - great strike. just a little right and didn't cut soon enough and clipped a tree branch. 2nd attempt - aimed a little left of the first try and ripped a beauty straight down the alley of trees...easily on the fairway but longer than i thought it'd be....walked down to check it out and was about 5ft from the rough (about 20-30ft past that is water)...had i played that shot from the white tees, i might've gone into the water...now i know.

Back