The best shot of the round

Tee shot on the 6th - Hit a driver that carried 263 yards and plugged in the fairway. Really happy with that shot

Tee shot on the 7th - Hit my 4 Hybrid to 9 foot, never left the flag and even spun back a couple of foot

I'm gonna say the bunker shot I holed for eagle. That's the first time I've EVER done that. I'm sure I've never holed one out for eagle. I'm about 99.9% sure I've never holed a bunker shot.
Nice! Those are a couple big firsts!

Last edited:
Nice! Those are a couple big firsts!
Well, one big first. I have holed out from off the green for eagle before... just not from a bunker.

My first eagle was a ~35y pitch from in front of a par 5 green in Turkey c.2005. No, scratch that, my first would have been a flop over a bunker that found the cup in January 2003 at the Gateway Hills GC on Kelly AFB in San Antonio, TX.

Par 4 8th hole. GIR with 4 hybrid. Just missed my birdie putt. I almost never get GIRs unless they are on really short par 4s. So this was a good hole.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I hit a 230y 5wd into a longish par 4 after a less than stellar drive. Made par.

5th hole today my approach shot landed in a green side bunker. A little short sided but the PM Grind 58* bailed me out. Easy splash and the ball lands 1ft from the hole and stops. Easiest Sandie I’ll ever have.

Probably my putt on the 18th. 20ft or so, slightly downhill, a little left to right. Holed for a bird to half the match.

First couple putts weren't great, but this one got me off and rolling.

Last edited:
Par 5 dog leg left 18th hole. Yanked my drive left into the woods on a hill. I got a good roll almost to the edge. I had a ten foot wide window about forty yards down range that would give me a look at the green if I could hit a low stinger straight. I punched a 6 iron right through the opening but a little short of where I like to hit my third from. I hit a near perfect 7 wood onto the fringe and 2 putted for par. The best recovery ever on this hole.

Went long and left on #9, which is almost always a recipe for bogey or worse due to a sharp drop off behind the green and some significant slopes on the green itself.

Chose a spot and hit a little flop that used the slope and rolled to 3 feet. Made the putt for the up/down par.

Par 3 140 right to left wind, not helping either, and an elevated green with a big bunker in front of the green.

8iron to 6 feet. Did I make the birdie?...……..

No.

20201102_170506.jpg20201102_124549.jpg

6i from 186 to there for easy birdie. I botched it last time they had it tucked back there by being hesitant, so I decided to go right after it. Felt good.

3rd hole, Par 3. Pin was playing 138-140. Stuck a PW to about 2 feet.

Thinking back on my round on Sunday, it would probably have to be the 2 shots on the 17th hole (stroke index 4) that set me up with my second birdie of the day

The hole is a severe dogleg to the right with OB left all the way down the hole to the green, fairway slopes to the left and trees down the right, so you either hit an iron off the tee and leave yourself with a long second shot to a narrow green, or you can try to move one from left to right around the corner with driver and hope you don't run off the fairway into the rough

I opted to hit driver as it was cold and wet and I knew I wouldn't get much run, I just need to make sure I turned the ball because if it went straight (or turned left) it was dead due to the wind blowing off the right as you looked from the tee - hit the perfect slider round the corner and left myself with just under 160yds to the back of the green straight into the wind

For the second shot, left is OB, long is thick rough and likely a lost ball, so because I was hitting straight into the wind with a pin that was pretty central I took my 7i and struck it pure, never left the pin and finished about 4ft from the hole and I rolled in the uphill slightly left to right putt for the 2nd birdie of the day

I shot my best score today & ironically I'd say it was VERY unspectacular. My misses were just very good misses & my short game was outrageous.
I'd say the best shot of my round came on hole ten, a very difficult part 4 mountain climb to start the turn to help any potential slide that could've happened.

Coming off my best front 9, I hooked my drive left & blasted a 6 iron through a tree pin high - left side rough about 35 yards from the pin. I felt like I needed to drop a flop shot next to the pin for a drop and stop. The green had heavy undulation to the right, especially immediately after the hole which turned straight downhill into a collection area essentially on the fringe. Well I dropped it an inch from the cup, but the slightest release rolled her all the way down the hill and off the green.

I whipped out my 7 iron praying to save bogey & holed the SOB out. On to 11.

20201104_200717.jpg
20201104_110801.jpg20201104_202909.jpg

I had about a dozen personal filming fails today focusing more on trying to get some of my buddy on a day he was killing it, so the vid of this is mostly of my backside, but it was a beauty of a knockdown 7i from 174 for an easy birdie on a 475 yd par 4.

Edit: actually, it was probably this one

Last edited:
Most satisfying: dropped a 27 ft birdie putt. I thought it was going to just sneak by on the high side, but it finally broke in through the side door.

Best contact: 5h from 184 in the right rough, playing 187 up the hill, to a back center pin that I couldn't see. Flushed it, flew the left front greenside bunker, and ended up running off the back of the green a few yards.

My recent swing adjustments are showing some promise. With irons I want to better control flight and shape, and the big goal is to add distance with driver. In yesterday's round I played with a buddy who is both a similar hc and distance with driver. We have played a lot of "cart golf" off the tee and over the past month he was more often beyond me. I outhit him all day yesterday and on one hole was easily 40 yards beyond him. He looked at me and said, "how did you do that? I crushed my drive." Ahhh. yeah, stereotypical guy stuff, but it still felt very good. I also took his money in our skins match. (y)

I found the timing for the easy late speed that's been eluding me with the tired body the last few rounds again today, but this one you don't have to have to go gonzo on if you hit it in the right spot. I couldn't have drawn it up any better and it led to an eventual eagle.

Windy day / easy call. 162 yard par 3. Tee shot stopped 9-inches away from curling into the cup. Easy birdie!

I connected for a (downwind) 328y drive on the #1 handicap hole yesterday. Ended up thinning my 9i approach to pin high, right, but made it out with a bogey. Not the end of the world, but not what I was expecting after the drive. Nice high fade that turned out just like I drew it up in my head.

Had to pitch a ball below an overhanging branch with a green running away and pulled it off. Had a 2 footer to save par (which I made)

Back