The best shot of the round

Tie between two today. 3h from 250 right on line with a little right to left. Went about 230 and stopped on the fringe. Second was a putt with a 7i from 25 yards in front of a raised green. Nearly got up and down.

20201108_130218.jpg

20201108_130631.jpg
Lost the last drive just enough to hit a branch and bounce sideways deep into the timber. Planned to punch out, but realized I could get a short club on it. Picked an opening, and nailed it despite the foot slip on the needles. It robbed me of that little bit to get to the pin, but an easy chip and tap for par and a clean round.

Solid 6i here - wind was off the left and my natural draw turned perfectly into it and held up. Had about a 10’ but missed the bird.

91ff115da4297fc91728a322ad2ea925.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Best shot today? Without a doubt it was the 195 yard par 3 fourth at my home course. I can't hit a fairway wood to save my life. My longest hybrid only goes about 180. And that is if I hit it clean. So I took out the driver. Normal tee height. Choked down where my right finger was wrapped around the bottom of the grip and partly on the shaft. Hit it with a 3 quarter swing. Went dead straight. Came down about 20 yards in front of the green. Bounced a couple times and rolled to about 6 foot from the cup.

Did miss the putt and ended up with par. But I'm excited that I have a chance to par the hole now. That driver swing is what I've been using on the previous hole. A par 5 with a creek crossing the fairway about 220 yards. I've been laying up with a choked down 3/4 swing and its been really straight when I do that. A little under 200 yards on a 480 yard par 5. Don't know why I never did that before today on the par 3. Now I have the confidence that I have a chance for par. Before I was happy with bogey.

20201110_190304.jpg
20201110_193203.jpg

Best representation I have of it. Long par 3 after a bad bogey. Lasered it at 214 into the wind, anger-whacked a 5i 216 to what ended up being 10' pin high right, got the birdie, and felt a little better.

Last edited:
Today there is no shot of the round. But I did make EVERY putt inside of 12 feet and there were a few. Barely missed two 50+ foot putts, but they were misses.

Today there is no shot of the round. But I did make EVERY putt inside of 12 feet and there were a few. Barely missed two 50+ foot putts, but they were misses.
I'd take that over a near spectacular shot every. dang. round. (y)

It's often the short shots that stick in my memory...

Last round I had a chip from the rough to a pin that had a steep slope about a foot behind it. If I rolled it past there was a good chance of leaving myself a 25 footer for par.

I'd been hitting my spots all day with chip shots so I chose a fixed pitch mark about a foot on the green, nailed that thing on the nose with the 58 and it trickled up to 2 inches for a kick-in.

Sunday it was a 5W on a 195 yard par 3 playing uphill at about 205 to 18" for a birdie.

Saturday I hit a knocked down 5i from 150 yards uphill into the wind that hit 3 inches from the hole to 8 feet and made that for a birdie also. It set up a birdie barrage for me on Sunday where I made 5 birdies on Sunday. I don't think I average a birdie a round on my home course. I may not make another one all year.

I'd take that over a near spectacular shot every. dang. round. (y)
I would too. But truth be told, I started working on a swing change and as you know, accuracy suffers in the short term. It's also why I had a couple 50 foot putts to try to make.:)

It's often the short shots that stick in my memory...

Last round I had a chip from the rough to a pin that had a steep slope about a foot behind it. If I rolled it past there was a good chance of leaving myself a 25 footer for par.

I'd been hitting my spots all day with chip shots so I chose a fixed pitch mark about a foot on the green, nailed that thing on the nose with the 58 and it trickled up to 2 inches for a kick-in.
Not only was that good execution, but it was a smart play. Using your 58 degree wedge reduces the possibility of rolling it past the hole vs. a bump and run with a lower lofted club.

Pinehurst #8, 17th hole, Par 5, 2nd shot from 217 yards from the fairway. Smoked a 4-hybrid to the front left of the green, caught a ridge and rolled to about 20 feet, setting up an eagle putt. Just missed it. Tap in birdie.

Chip in birdie 2 on the #2 hole today at Newport Beach.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Kinda hard to say as I had a sweet 3 hole stretch that included back to back birdies and a near hole out for eagle (resulted in a par by 2 inches). I guess I would have to go with the approach shot on #12. Before we got to my ball I told @T0AD that the distance looked to be about 98 yards. Turned out to be 97.8. Then I said I wanted to hit a full 52 degree and that should leave me just beneath the hole with an uphill putt for birdie. Stuck the approach to about 4 feet below the hole. I rarely get things that accurate so I was pretty pumped.

Played Pagoda Ridge today hole 14 par 3. Cut my tee shot O.B. and then holed my chip for par. I went from very mad to happy in the blink of an eye!

It's a long par 3 that just doesn't give up birdies. The tee is intimidating for most, but the green is just really tough. It looks pretty flat, but no putt ever is. It's surprisingly fast if you're not aware and there are a ton of subtle breaks. A scratch we picked up had just 4 putted from 45 ft. Anyway, hit a good 5i to 16ft, and my buddy gave me some good mojo on the way up by saying 'You better film it. You're gonna drop this one.' Sure enough.

Ball striking was really sharp today, including hitting the green on 17 of 18 holes and keeping it on the green for 14 GIRs. Tough part is picking one. We'll go with 185 yard par 3 to 8 feet. Made the putt for birdie. It was a fun day!

Last edited:

Second outing in a row with a good birdie on a 200+ yd par 3. Played to the flat part of the green but a little long, and then dropped it from 23.5' to cap off three straight birdies to start. I was fairly pumped about it.

Trusted my distance into the wind on a par 5 and hit a 4h on a line 200 onto the front of the green. Resulted in a nice two putt birdie!

Back