The best shot of the round

I took a moment away from snapping at my playing partner for not acting appropriately on the course, to hole out from 106 with a SW today. One bounce, and zip back a couple feet to the cup. And then I returned to golf course volume level of chastising. Whole thing kind of sucked the joy right out of a great shot, but it still happened.

We had a 4 person shamble 3 best ball on Saturday for our MGA. You had to take 1 tee shot per person per 9. My dad who doesn't normally play tournaments played with us since it doesn't put as much pressure on him to hit tee shots which it his biggest struggle. We started on hole 7 and came down to holes 5 and 6 with my dad needing to contribute a tee shot. Hole 5 is a short par 4 that plays about 280 yards from the blue tees. It is a signicantely raised green though. He plays a 3 hybrid to be safe and it fades to the right side of the cart path but is in a good spot 103 yards out. He steps up and hits his PW and we can tell that it lands pretty tight to the hole. The other 2 guys hit and then I step up with my 54 and hit another tight one. I walk up the hill to the green and only see 1 ball which is about a foot away. Get up there and his is in the hole and mines 14 inches away. Wish I would have made mine as that would have been pretty freaking awesome to have father/son hole out eagles. My dad was so excited he ripped a great drive on the next hole which we ended up taking.

My round was a disaster yesterday, but I did hit a few really good shots. One that stood out was a fairway shot with my new 4 hybrid. I actually hit a very nice draw with it. Don’t ask me how, because I never draw the ball. If my ball starts right it usually either flies straight or fades further right.

I will try to figure out what I did and try to repeat it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17th hole at Apple Mountain, Par-3, pin back left, playing 133 yds. Played 9-iron, hit the pin coming down, left a ball mark about 4" left of the hole, then rolled out to about 12' left of the hole. So close to an Ace, but ended up two-putting for par.

No pictures from yesterday, but here's one of this hole from another day. The flag was back left, pretty much in line with the really tall cedar tree behind the green.

AM_17.jpg

Screenshot_20201117-112433_TheGrint.jpg
20201117_112251.jpg

They moved the tees up after the rains, but who wants to NOT hit a new driver. Needed a strong draw to stay up high, and got it. Put the approach to 13' and missed the eagle, but I couldn't have drawn up that drive any better.

Since my iron game was far less than desireable today, it would have to be any of the many chip shots I hit to within 2 feet to save pars.

My best today was a 7 iron on a 167 yard downhill Par 3 . About 15' left pin high. Won a greenie in a outing of 24. Another golfer in my group hit a 5 iron 175 yards for a double eagle on a Par 5. A great day for golf.

20201119_105421.jpg20201119_105517.jpg

Bombed a big drive around the corner of a long par 4, but too far left. And this ridiculous looking shot is what followed. Ball was above me, but the whole thing is downhill to the hole, so the weight was in my heels and everything just felt kind of wrong for getting the face on it. Decided to throw the head, and myself, at it for a little bit of a punch draw that worked out just dandy from 135. Easy birdie.

Last edited:
Driver Shot.png

As I've mentioned a couple (OK, more than a couple) of times on here, I'm really struggling with driver at the moment. Went for a lesson during the week and then hit Murcar Links on Wednesday morning. Dogleg right to left with strong winds really calls for a draw round the corner but I just don't have that shot in my arsenal. Ordinarily I would knock a 3 wood into the corner and mid iron in, but I had a bit of confidence after the lesson so went to cut the corner and it came off. Straight as a die and flew forever. Didn't quite clear the corner completely, and landed just in the semi rough so lost a few yards but just left a gentle PW in for a par. Not the longest or most spectacular shot seen in here, but as a confidence booster it was priceless.

40-foot putt for birdie on the 10th hole. After having several long putts sniff the hole it was good to see one go in center cut.

Honorable mention to the drive on a very tight dogleg left. Well designed hole. Tall pines line the left and right side. The fairway is very tight at the knee and if you go long you are in a fairway bunker. Hit a high power fade that came to rest just short of the end of the fairway 60 yards from the flag.

40-foot putt into the heart of the cup for birdie on a long par 4. Honorable mention to the shot that set that up, a 210-yard approach shot off hard pan due to a sub-par tee shot.

40-foot putt into the heart of the cup for birdie on a long par 4. Honorable mention to the shot that set that up, a 210-yard approach shot off hard pan due to a sub-par tee shot.
Dang, 40 footers in back-to-back rounds!! Nice!

Par 3 playing 165, slight uphill. Hit a 6 iron to 2 ft. best iron shot I have hit in several rounds.

Had my best round ever so a lot of good shots from me. Some bombed drives, a couple great approaches, and some great recovery pitch shots from off the fairway.

best shot of the round was a great putt. On a long par 3 i pushed my tee shot right of the hole. I came up really short on mychip trying to account for a ridge. That left me a putt going down a steep incline at a tough angle with the pin right at the bottom of the slope 20 feet away. Even a perfect speed putt was going way past the hole if I missed so it was a really important one.

I read the angle perfectly aiming 6ft right of the hole and nailed the speed just barely moving past the top of the slope. The ball turned hard left just as it cleared the slope and rolled in dead center of the cup. Maybe the best putt of my life to go with my best score ever. Helped make for a great day on the course and some cheers from my friends.

Would have to be the chip and putt on 18 to finally bag a birdie after a round of struggles.

Tee shot on #9 at Birch Hills today. This is not a tough hole, but for some reason I almost always slice into the trees on the right. Today I hit it dead center of the fairway, about 90 yards from the pin.

Of course I managed to bogey the hole, but it still felt like a win.

Had 2 great shots today. First I hit the flag from a green side bunker for a tap in par. The second was a 75 yard wedge shot I flew past the hole and used the slope and spin to spin it back to 6 inches for a tap in birdie.

Had an excellent flop shot today, but have to go with this 7i from under a tree. Had to keep it low and landed it hole high and two putted for par.
31AD3B97-4B02-45D5-B237-1E1C6844FD12.jpeg

Second hole today was a par three where short and right of the green are bad. The miss is left as there's a hill there as well as the green sloping left to right. I played it to the left and the ball fed towards the hole and lipped out. I did make the short one for birdie!

15th hole par 5. Driver down the middle, 5 wood well struck down the middle left 80 yds to the pin. Wedge to 2 ft and made the putt for birdie.

15th hole par 5. Driver down the middle, 5 wood well struck down the middle left 80 yds to the pin. Wedge to 2 ft and made the putt for birdie.
Sounds like the best HOLE of the round. Awesome!

20201123_134636.jpg

Had to slowly work into today's swing and it had finally come together enough for me to have no doubts about going after a really tucked pin on this par 3. Apex MB 7i to pin high right and settled just past the pin for an easy birdie coming back.

edit: sorry, wrong vid at first

#8 hole is a long par 4 and I got out of position off the tee. Hit a good recovery shot, but still was 47 yards from the flag. What really made the next shot challenging was the pin was barely 2 paces from the back of the green. Hit a partial wedge shot to 3 feet under the hole and then saved par.

20201125_001211.jpg

This is a pretty accurate depiction. Left a wedge out right from a severe downhill lie after a great drive. Then slow tumbled this beauty in, in front of everyone at the entrance and milling around by the putting green. Which was fun for me, but not the guy behind me on the first tee. 😕 The noise of the reactions pretty much made him shank his drive.

Last edited:
Back