The best sound in golf

NullNomad

Golf Course Miscreant
Reaction score
Handicap
work
I was deep in conversation with a few people on the course this morning and wanted to bring the debate to THP.

For you, what's the greatest sound in golf? Is it the ball dropping into the cup? The crisp pure shot off the face of on iron? Or is the the crowd pleasing explosion of a bombing blast of the driver? Or is it something else entirely?

For me, a pured iron hands down. Something so satisfying to my ears when the ball is compressed on the face of a solid iron shot.

I was deep in conversation with a few people on the course this morning and wanted to bring the debate to THP.

For you, what's the greatest sound in golf? Is it the ball dropping into the cup? The crisp pure shot off the face of on iron? Or is the the crowd pleasing explosion of a bombing blast of the driver? Or is it something else entirely?

For me, a pured iron hands down. Something so satisfying to my ears when the ball is compressed on the face of a solid iron shot.

The sound of a pured iron shot. That sound is something I chase.

Hitting driver on the screws!

Birds. Lots of bird sounds while golfing.

Well that is true in a couple ways, however, I really enjoy the sound (and feel) of a crisp iron shot. Also enjoy the results of the well struck iron shot and seeing the ball react.
One of the factors that plays into this is because of how wrong and awful it can be. Nothing like a toe, shanked, or sculled iron coming in hot to feed my satisfaction on a good one.

I love putting and hitting my driver, but not as rewarding for me. Don't get me wrong, I can miss a fairway with the best of them... But the sound/feeling is more consistent even when I do miss.

My favorite sound is when one of my playing partners hits it on the screws off the tee. There is a change in the sound, it causes everyone to just stop and watch.

For my shots its when the ball goes into the cup

It's hitting a balata ball pure on the screws of a persimmon driver. Butter my friends, feels like butter. :bananadance:

A pure iron shot and I also like the sound of "how much do I owe you?" very much.

"that's good"

Watching that putt roll towards the cup and fall in, what a great sound!

The sound of a well struck ball hitting a tree branch dead center, and birds fluttering away, always followed by an expletives or two, beautiful.

A pure hit with a forged muscleback 3 iron.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mowers running and birds chirping as you stroll up to the clubhouse early on a windless summer morning.

The crack of a good drive is my top sound followed closely by the thump a good approach makes as it's digging in to the green.

Like hearing a pured driver or iron shot but love hearing the thud of a ball hitting the green

Sent from my SM-G975U1 using Tapatalk

Compressed iron shot for me

I live in a mountainous area. For me there is no better sound than a well struck driver off the tee in the valley of a mountain course. The “ping” just echoes louder than normal. With my F9, it’s been taken to the next level.

I love the perfect thump of a ball getting blasted out of a bunker.

My favorite is the pured iron shot, especially when you can hear that nice "spinning" sound the ball makes through the air.

The ball hitting the bottom of the cup for me

2 stand out:
Crisp iron shot

Opening first beer at the 19th hole

A sound I never hear anymore... Metal cleats on a cart path.

Sent from my BLA-A09 using Tapatalk

The long-awaited gas engine of the beer cart girl!

Either a pure struck long iron, or playing a tranquil course where there seems to be no noise other than birds and nature between shots.

Back