The Best You Ever Saw - MLB Edition

Roger Clemens. Posters on wall, many games attended irl. Childhood hero. That split finger was the stuff of dreams.

2nd, Pedro. He had the meanest change up in all of baseball, on top of being one of the best pitchers, in the history of baseball.

At one point, you could walk up to the window and get 3rd row 1st baseline seats. Then it got harder...

I’ve seen a lot of great players recently living in a major sports city but I take the fondest memories from seeing stars before they made it. I grew up watching AAA ball and I saw Halladay, Carlos Delgado, Harper, and Strasburg coming up and it was fun.
I’m disappointed there’s no minor league baseball this year. It’s so accessible and the entertainment value is fantastic for the price. I’ve been lucky enough to see a number of top prospects come through the Phillies system since we’ve had two rebuilds in pretty short succession.

Ricky Henderson and it’s not even close. I’ve never seen a single player that could take over a game in so many ways. Baseball could really use a player like him again but I just don’t see it happening.

I think I have only been to one ball game in my 40 years.
A Twins game in my youth.
Kirby Puckett it is lol.

I kind of forgot this, but the best athlete I ever saw play baseball in person was Bo Jackson. Just a freak of nature. It's too bad injuries cut his career short in both sports.

I saw Derek Jeter in the AAA All Star game back in 95'.

Jim Thome, Manny Ramirez, Derek Jeter all in the minor leagues.

I’m disappointed there’s no minor league baseball this year. It’s so accessible and the entertainment value is fantastic for the price. I’ve been lucky enough to see a number of top prospects come through the Phillies system since we’ve had two rebuilds in pretty short succession.
It’s just a shame for sure. I loved guessing (often entirely wrong) who would be a future star.

Painful to write as a Mets fan, but there was no one better than Mariano Rivera. Enter Sandman, game over.

Hitter - Barry Bonds. You just could not throw the ball past him. Incredible few years to watch him hit, juiced and all.

Fielder - Rey Ordenez was fun to watch in the field. Atrocious at the plate. A shame.

My favorite player as a lifetime Reds fan is Barry Larkin. He was exceptional at getting the bat on the ball and he is one of the all time greats at defense at the SS position. Hiss career was overshadowed by Ozzie Smith, but IMO he was a much better player than Ozzie Smith.

The best hitter I saw in person was Tony Gwynn. He rarely struck out, always put the ball in play, and had the rare gift of being able to hit the ball wherever he wanted it to go. Pitching, I’d have to go with the Big Unit, Randy Johnson. Overpowering fastball and a devastating slider...he was so much fun to watch in person.

I grew up in Lexington, KY going to see the Reds during the Big Red Machine days. After the Marines I moved to WA state when the Mariners were actually competitive. These are the greatest players I ever saw in person. I was at the game when Mark McGwire hit the biggest Home Run I ever witnessed off a Big Unit 100 mph fast ball. Randy Johnson just stood there shaking his head as that ball just kept going higher and longer.

Johnny Bench
Pete Rose
Ken Griffey Jr
Randy Johnson
Edgar Martinez

For me, its The Sandman. His ability to close out a game was incredible.

Some amazing stuff here. Off the foul pole into the trashcan is a jaw dropper.

Last edited:
I would have to say Roger Clemens, I was at his 200th win at Skydome. He just destroyed batters.

runner up to Jim Edmonds, people forget how good he was in Saint Louis. Stole so many hits from batters because he played so damn shallow. Was a very clutch hitter in StL

i was at a cubs game and richie sexson came over to us when he was in the on deck circle and asked us about the beer we had.

Wow, this one’s too tough to call. Growing up in St. Louis as a Cardinal fan I got treated to many famous ball players. Gotta say Ozzie was one of my favs. Mid to lates 80’s while stationed in Oakland Ca, I witnessed the bash brothers in their prime, and went to Candlestick just about every time the Cards came to town. Was sitting in the cheap seats in Oakland one game when Canseco and McGuire went back to back yard. Canseco’s was on a rope and McGuire’s touched the clouds. Oakland had one of the most talented teams I had ever seen in the late 80’s. They were loaded with future all stars.

Ken Griffey JR before he got his injuries

The best stuff for a short time?
Johan Santana.

Many do not know or have forgotten that Dave Winfield was drafted as a pro in all 3 major pro sports..

Amazing athlete.

Back