The Biggest Three?

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Who are the three biggest draws in golf right now?

You would assume Tiger Woods, but who else do you think draws viewers in?

Afizzle2100

Albatross 2020 Club Albatross 2021 Club
Reaction score
Handicap
Tiger, Bryson, Rory

I would throw Brooks in there but he’s been hurt, and I would throw Spieth in, but how would we ever know considering he rarely sniffs contention.

oumagic

Team Paradise 2020
Reaction score
Handicap
GHIN 10.0
Besides Tiger, I think JT, Bryson, DJ

JB

Follow @THPGolf
Albatross 2021 Club
Staff member
Reaction score
  • Admin
Fwiw I think I would probably say Tiger, Bryson and Phil.

chile

Guy LeDouche
Reaction score
Handicap
Chocolate
Tiger, Phil...IDK. Fowler (he seems to have more visibility than Bryson)...

ArmyGolf

#Rise&Grind
Reaction score
Handicap
RCGA 9.3
Tiger
Rory & Bryson

Mad_Brad

aka braddman19
Reaction score
Handicap
Tiger is a given at #1.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
Fwiw I think I would probably say Tiger, Bryson and Phil.
My ex wife loves lefty so he’s off the list. But replace him with Rory and I agree. If that dude gets busy again he’ll move a lot of our friends from across the ponds needle.

OITW

Contestant in #THPSweep
Reaction score
Handicap
The Clock
Tiger
Phil
Bryson

Second Tier
JT
Rors
DJ

tequila4kapp

Reaction score
Handicap
USGA 13.5
Tiger, Tiger and Tiger.

I imagine virtually every other golfer could walk down the street and not be recognized 99% of the time.

baylrballa

Hackers Love Puppies
Reaction score
Handicap
I bet my wife could name tiger and rickie. That's it. And recognize phil but not know his name.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
Tiger, Tiger and Tiger.

I imagine virtually every other golfer could walk down the street and not be recognized 99% of the time.
You are correct. If BDC walked by me I’d probably 10 seconds later realize that I recognize him.

If Tiger is within 10 miles my divining rod will guide me to him.

There are about 5 golfers I’d walk by and instantly recognize. Tiger is 46.7% of them.

Jman

Golfing Equipment Reviewer
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
EASILY....Tiger, Phil, Bryson

Next up? DJ, Rors, JT

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
EASILY....Tiger, Phil, Bryson

Next up? DJ, Rors, JT

Phil? I dunno on that one. Yes us elder statesman like him and enjoy his spirit, but outside of those 38+ (and being generous, lol) no one knows him. He’s just not relevant on tour anymore.

Plus he’s my ex wife’s second favorite golfer, Freddy is her 1st. I have a pic with FC and not lefty. I would not mind me getting a lefty pic to send to her.

No hard feelings on anything there, lol!

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I think Phil draws conversation, but it's basically been spoon fed to us all year so it's almost not an option at this point.

The age.
The shades.
The transition.
The Social media.
Etc.

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
What I love about Bryson, is that no matter which side you're on, you're absolutely talking about him.

His "It's my way and I don't give a %$#@ what people think" attitude is perfect to either hate or support.
His way about golf is perfect to either hate or support.

It's great. It's fun.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
DJ, Rory, and even JT move the needle more than lefty does for those under 40. Way more.

Those of us with a lifetime achievement award in stupidity and pain will recognize lefty and his achievements.

I’d love for him to get one more but honestly my biggest memory was The Open Championship a few back when he and Stenson were absolute machines. Man that was a fun round and what would win 99%+ of the time wasn’t enough against the machine that was Stenson and his 3w.

There’s an anti-equipment debate, lol. Stenson using a $40.00 bargain bin FW to become one of the best on the world.

I’ll split the fence on that. It’s 2/3 Indian and 1:4 arrow. I’ve always been good at percentages.

I’ve seen good golfers play horrific fitting equipment to good scores. I’ve never seen a horrific golfer with good fitting equipment do the same.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
What I love about Bryson, is that no matter which side you're on, you're absolutely talking about him.

His "It's my way and I don't give a %$#@ what people think" attitude is perfect to either hate or support.
His way about golf is perfect to either hate or support.

It's great. It's fun.
I concur. As a former LD drive guy I see it as something very intriguing. No LD guy has had much success.

He’s trying to go from golfer to LD. I’ve tried the opposite. Well good luck there. I’ve been missing fairways since like 1992. Until a year or two ago, I was still Krank’ing them.

GolfTravelDude

Reaction score
Handicap
Typically the guys brought into the events for the funny season....Rory and Phil after Tiger

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
Typically the guys brought into the events for the funny season....Rory and Phil after Tiger
Still going with it being

1. Tiger. Duh

2. BDC-love him or not, he’ll have you watching him bomb and gouge the hell out of a course.

3. DJ-this side of the pond he’s getting more love than Rory and he’s so much better than Lefty at this point it’s not even debated.

4a/b Rory/Lefty. Depends on continent.

6.-JT-why not, he’s solid all the time.

7. Spieth-if he could ever make a damn putt again, he’d be good. Since he doesn’t he’s still good but we feel bad for him. He’ll have another run in his career. Who knows when? I’m guessing 2023.

8. The forgotten guy that fits somewhere in my top 7, debate at will.

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
I concur. As a former LD drive guy I see it as something very intriguing. No LD guy has had much success.

He’s trying to go from golfer to LD. I’ve tried the opposite. Well good luck there. I’ve been missing fairways since like 1992. Until a year or two ago, I was still Krank’ing them.
I think he's trying to combine the two, honestly. ..And frankly, he's the closest I've ever seen to pure accuracy with absolute power - doing it in his own way by eliminating as much potential error.

It's really interesting. I talked about this a few months ago when he first came back with that swing, I was just waiting for him to flinch - it feels very 'all in' where the slightest mistake will cost him wins, but it'll also provide the opportunity to win a LOT.

6ixOhFore

Husky Eyes
Reaction score
Handicap
DJ, Bryson and Tiger

Canadan

You Are Great
Staff member
Reaction score
Handicap
+
What I really like about the DJ story is that people can get on board with the dominance factor and overlook the part where he's not as verbally polished as a lot of these guys are on tour.

If you're watching golf for a complete performance, he's done it.
If you're looking for the complete package both on the course and off, he's probably not going to get it done.

...and it's fun that it drives people NUTS that DJ is the former and not the latter.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
I think he's trying to combine the two, honestly. ..And frankly, he's the closest I've ever seen to pure accuracy with absolute power - doing it in his own way by eliminating as much potential error.

It's really interesting. I talked about this a few months ago when he first came back with that swing, I was just waiting for him to flinch - it feels very 'all in' where the slightest mistake will cost him wins, but it'll also provide the opportunity to win a LOT.
I agree. Raw distance is an advantage for sure. You still have to at least keep it between the stakes. That’s where it can get interesting.

I know me personally being 6* offline at 320 usually puts me out of play. At 240 I’m usually in play.

Balancing the two, and trying to have as much fun as possible (which to me means smacking the cover off of it) is delicate....

BDC May at some point need to realize he can hit his 4i 280 straight. Once he figures out when it’s worth it and when it’s not, I think we’ll see him as the most dominant golfer since young Woods.

Smiter

I'm not a Club Pro
Reaction score
Handicap
Life RN
What I really like about the DJ story is that people can get on board with the dominance factor and overlook the part where he's not as verbally polished as a lot of these guys are on tour.

If you're watching golf for a complete performance, he's done it.
If you're looking for the complete package both on the course and off, he's probably not going to get it done.

...and it's fun that it drives people NUTS that DJ is the former and not the latter.
I don’t care if he’s a 2 watt bulb. When he’s on, he’s the best golfer alive on this planet (at current levels, Tiger would still spank him most of the time in his prime).

Welcome to The Hackers Paradise

Don't just play golf, live it!

Register Log in