The BlackBerry Thread

Puttin4Bird

Say what again mf'er!
Reaction score
Handicap
3.5 GHIN
We have an iPhone thread and there is quite a bit of discussion about the Droid out here but nothing to talk BlackBerry. I know we have a lot of members with BlackBerries so let's get a thread to discuss your BlackBerry, share tips and tricks, rant and rave everything BlackBerry and maybe even help each other out some.

I'll go first, right now I have a Storm (1) that I've had for about a year or so. I've actually had great luck with this Storm, it isn't nearly as bad as some of the other Storm 1 horror stories I've heard. Shortly after getting it I updated to the latest OS and it's been solid. I am however going to be getting a new BlackBerry tomorrow, already ordered and tracking says it'll arrive tomorrow. It's Bold 9650, I'm pretty excited to go back to a full qwerty keyboard. At first the touch screen was a tough transition but now I'm used to it but I still miss the keyboard.

As far as any apps go I have GolfLogix on mine and will be moving it over to my new device, I have really enjoyed this program and had no problem forking over the $40 for a good reliable GPS application. I do a lot of email with my BlackBerry and some internet surfing but not a whole lot.

I thought long and hard about going with a Droid, either an X, 2, or Incredible but eventually it came down to my satisfaction of the BlackBerry OS and the fact that for email there simply isn't much of a competition. Sure there are benefits to the Droid like fun apps and games etc but for work email and a limited amount of surfing the BlackBerry is perfect for me.

I've had the Storm 1 as well up until yesterday :) I have the original one...haven't had much problems with it until recently. Maybe it was the battery or something.

I've had the Storm 1 as well up until yesterday :) I have the original one...haven't had much problems with it until recently. Maybe it was the battery or something.

Did you get a new BlackBerry or go another direction?

I don't have a blackberry, but I want one.

I currently have the droid eris and hate it. I believe I will be able to upgrade in December, and I want the bold in a big way!

I have a Tour. My only complaint with the blackberry is how slow the browser is. Has anyone tried one of the others browsers?

I have a Tour. My only complaint with the blackberry is how slow the browser is. Has anyone tried one of the others browsers?
I had Opera mini for a while but it just didn't work quite as nicely for me. I'll let you know how the browser speed is on the Bold when I get it.

Did you get a new BlackBerry or go another direction?

I ended up going in the complete opposite directin, I got an iPhone 4 yesterday, so I no longer am part of the Blackberry family :(

Awe...we're sad to see you go, just when we could start talking BlackBerries! I would consider an iPhone but here in South Dakota we don't have AT&T so I'm S.O.L. but rumor has it the iPhone will be available on Verizon soon, of course I've heard that rumor before! I'll believe it when I see it!!

Well I can speak to this a bit...
I have had 3 BB's.
1) BB Pearl - great little phone, once you get used to the keyboard you can type pretty quick. Fits great in your pocket and because it it a BB, email is wonderful.
2) BB Curve - full keyboard, a couple great games out for it too. I had a tower defense game I really liked. Also with the free BBGpsGolf app you can use the GPS on the golf course, as long as you/someone else has mapped it on Google Maps.
3) BB Curve 8900 (like the bold) - crazy good screen, but battery life for me was not great. I suspect I had a lemon. It was a lot larger than the curve it replaced, so that took some getting used to.

On both the Curve and the Curve 8900 the built in GPS was ok, but you really ought to get yourself the Google Maps app, as that rocks.

Now I have an iPhone 4, and love it. But I won't go into details about that.

TheGasman - Apparently there is a safari browser that is pretty good for it. Never tried it myself as browsing on the BB is not very good at all.

Edit: I think I meant Opera, not Safari!

BlackBerry Storm here since March 2009. I had to replace it once (for free since it was under warranty). Not sure what was wrong with it, but the screen was freezing and going blank a bunch. I secretly believe it was due to mulitple drops, but I wasn't telling Verizon that hehe.

I love this phone. I use the SureType for texting/email and it is fast as can be. I've never had a qwerty keyboard on a phone, so I can't say that I'd rather have one.

I have GolfLogix as well and I'm really happy with it. I set the screen to timeout at 10 seconds and the display brightness at 30%. I've never had an issue with it killing the phone during my round, though I usually will need to charge if I want to use it much the rest of the day.

Main complaint that I have is that the camera SUCKS BADLY. It takes decent pictures (in the perfect conditions), but it is so slow. By the time the picuture is taken, my son is across the room lol.

I use Opera Mini to surf the web almost exclusively. It is fast and I can THP from the phone easily. Great browser that makes the BB browser look stupid-slow.

Tried every phone including the IPhone and always come back to the BB. Two reasons.

BB Messenger. Best app ever.
Email that actually works.

I agree on the BB Messenger, I use that quite a lot and just love it.

Hawk, I do the same as you to optimize battery usage in GolfLogix, right at first I couldn't get thru 18 holes but now I can walk 18 and just plug it into the charger in the car on my way home and I'm good for the rest of the day. Great app and for the same prize an annual subscription costs for a SkyCaddy I will stick with GolfLogix every time!

Tried every phone including the IPhone and always come back to the BB. Two reasons.

BB Messenger. Best app ever.
Email that actually works.

What model BB do you use JB?

The trackball does suck on the Tour. Gasmam has a Curve I think and that trackball pad thing seems pretty cool.

I still have my old BB Curve 8830, maybe three years now. It's well past update time, but I keep sticking with it. I'm beginning to see the battery life running down just a little sooner, (charge every other day), track ball needs changed out, but other than that the thing is still rock solid. I spend a ton of time on the phone between constant calls, text messages and Messanger, it's just an all around great phone. I could update for little of nothing, but why bother.

That's a good point Due, why upgrade if you're happy with what you have? Same can be said for golf equipment I guess. Me on the other hand, I'm far too impatient and if I'm eligible for an upgrade I'm getting something new, that is if I can even wait that long! The Bold I have coming did not end up costing me a penny with my new every two from Verizon.

I have had the Bold 9700 on ATT for a few months now and love it. Best phone I have ever used. I did plenty of research on smartphones before making a decision and for me, this was the best choice. Iphones are fun, but for me there were several things I didn't like about them. My wife just got the Samsung Captivate Android phone and it is pretty neat as well, but I wouldn't give up my BB for anything right now. I have never been a big fan of touchscreen phones so that helped sway my decision as well. It is hard to find a good phone that isn't a touchscreen. I also have a seperate BB Pearl through my job. It is old and way out of date, but it gets the job done of getting me my e-mails.

A few of the big things for me and why I like the BB.
1. The keyboard is incredible. The Bold has the textured keyboard and you can really feel the keys. I can type on it really fast, and rarely make a mistake.
2. As mentioned before, the e-mail capabilities are #1, and #2 isn't even close. If I am sitting at my desk, the BB vibrates within a second of the e-mail hitting my desktop. Plus, having multiple accounts doesn't phase it one bit. I think on mine, you can have up to 10 accounts. I have 4 on there now from various networks, and can't recall any issues of not getting something delivered.
3. One of the big things for me, which maybe isn't as big for others, is the ability to manage the alerts and what they do. There are so many things that can come across the phone; SMS, MMS, calls, (4 different) e-mails, IM, calender reminders, weather updates, etc. With the BB you can set a separate alert for all of them. I may be wrong, but I don't think an iphone can do that. I know my wife's new phone can't do that. For some things I want to really know when it is coming across, others its nice to know that something came through, but I can check it when I want. This was actually one of the top selling points for me.
4. The desktop manager and backup are great too. I think most phones have these now, but it is so easy to plug the phone in, back-up all the current data, and be on my way. If I get a new one, or delete something, it is all right there.
5. The auto on/off is nice as well. I have it set to turn off when I normally go to bed, and to turn on before I normally leave. Great battery saver.

Some things could be better, but it is nothing that is a dealbreaker for me. I have heard that the OS 6 coming soon (to some older models) will fix some of the browser issues. It does what I need of it. More than anything the wifi connection or tower connection will determine how fast the browser works. The apps are way behind Apple and Android, but anything I have really wanted is on there. I don't need 20 games or a constant update on the ski report. All I really want is to be able to access the sports scores (Scoremobile is excellent for that), some newspapers across the country, and the weather. I am satisfied with what it gives me for those tasks.

The new trackpad is waaaaaaaay better than the old trackball. Can't belive they didn't come up with that sooner.

Great write up! Thanks for the info and I'm glad you're liking your Bold, I can't wait to get mine and get it all setup!!!

I currently have an iPhone 3G, and I am hating it! It's so slow and laggy it really annoys me! (Oh how I regret swapping my Curve 8900 for that!) Anyway, my contract runs up in a month and a bit so looking to get a BlackBerry again, so seeing as though there are so many BlackBerry users here, question, I am looking at either the Bold 9650 or the new Torch 9800, which one is the better choice in your opinion? I really can't wait to get rid of my iPhone!!!

I have the Storm 1. I've had it for 22 months and I'm almost up for a new phone. I will tell you one thing........I will never ever get a blackberry phone again. Some ot the other blackberries might be ok, but I'm fed up!! I hate having to pull my battery everday to reset the dang thing cause it randomly decided to freeze up. Probably going to go with the droid X. I love my wifes droid, if AT&T had better coverage around here, I would make the switch.

Did you upgrade the operating system, usc?

Did you upgrade the operating system, usc?

I've done all the updates available for it. Nothing has made it any better. It's truely frustrating. Especially since my wifes droid searches way faster than mine and it ticks me off......ughh.....don't know what to do!

I've done all the updates available for it. Nothing has made it any better. It's truely frustrating. Especially since my wifes droid searches way faster than mine and it ticks me off......ughh.....don't know what to do!

I assume you mean internet. No question the internet is faster on Droid OS.

I assume you mean internet. No question the internet is faster on Droid OS.

Oh yah, the internet is way faster. Plus it won't let me access this site correctly like I can on her droid. Just frustrates me I guess. Do the other blackberry's have that issue?

Back