The BlackBerry Thread

Of course they are, how many different companies make Android devices? You can get android devices on pre-pay plans at Target/WalMart, which gets the product in to many more hands than Apple does. Android has low-end, mid, and high end devices spread out across multiple different manufacturing companies.

Verizon. It's b/c Verizon didn't initially stock and offer the iPhone. I bet iPhone #'s have grown exponentially since Verizon started carrying them.

Last quarter they were selling at a rate of roughly 4 per second.

Yeah I heard the X name would change, just haven't heard of another name yet.

They're footprint in India is massive. I still enjoy my 9700 and am in no hurry to change companies or phones, though I do have the option to upgrade after September which is about the time rumoured for the London to come out, so we'll see at the time if Rim has made enough improvements for me to upgrade my BB or change to something else.

Lol yeah they were getting sued and changed it to BB10 haha.

Lol yeah they were getting sued and changed it to BB10 haha.

The good ol, "holly crap we're being sued. Quick change the name." name change.

The Blackberry Porsche Design that's been leaked the new Bold you're talking about?

Marketshare would tell you that Android is not only winning but CRuSHING apple in the phone market.

You sure about that?

"There are currently six manufacturers — Dell, HTC, Kyocera, LG, Motorola, and Samsung — making 42 smartphones using the Android operating system.

So how does the iPhone stack up against one of these phones? Let’s take a look at the Motorola Droid.

Motorola says it shipped 13.7 million smartphones in 2010. The company didn’t specify Droids, but we’ll count them all anyway.
In comparison, Apple shipped 47.49 million in 2010, outpacing Motorola by more than three times.

Now, let’s take a look at the operating systems in the U.S. According to reports released this month by comScore, if you factor in all of the devices that use iOS including iPhones, iPads and iPod touches, Apple reached 37.9 million people. Android, according to the data, reached 23.8 million on phones and tablets.

That’s a 59 percent lead for iOS over Android.

In Europe, Apple’s iPhone, iPod touch, and iPads have a combined installed base of 28.9 million users. Android’s user base is at 13.4 million users. That number includes phones and connected media devices like the Samsung Galaxy Tab.

That gives Apple a 12.4 percent share of the market and a 116 percent lead over its Android counterpart. Google has 5.7 percent share of the market.

http://www.loopinsight.com/2011/04/28/the-truth-about-android-vs-iphone-market-share/

Not fair to include all iOS devices? OK, lets just look at recent trends just in phones then- no ipads or itouches

Nielsen3.jpg

Android is moving in the wrong direction, while Blackberry I am sorry to say is getting close to irrelevant status.

Android is ahead- but hardly 'crushing' Apple.

But this may be the most worrisome news for both Blackberry and Android- the iPhone and iOS are now dominating the business world....

"How times have changed. A new survey suggests the iPhone has surpassed RIM’s BlackBerry as the go-to device among enterprise users. Back in 2007 when the first iPhone was released, not many people would have predicted such an outcome.The numbers, according to a quarterly iPass Mobile Workforce report, reveal the iPhone’s business use has grown over the past year, at 45 percent market share compared to 31 percent in 2010.

Here’s how 2010 compared to 2011:
  • Blackberry: 34.5% in 2010, 32.2% in 2011
  • iPhone: 31.1% vs 45%
  • Android: 11.3% vs 21.3%
  • Symbian/Nokia: 12.4% vs 7.4%
  • Microsoft Windows Me
  • Oobile: 9.6% vs 5.5%
  • Other: 7.4% vs 2.1%
http://www.technobuffalo.com/news/business/iphone-is-top-choice-among-enterprise-users/

This might have already been discussed on this thread ( I am Skimming ), if not, here is goes.

I recently downloaded iGolf for my Bold. It was the free version ( Its my company phone, and I don't pay the bill so I cant get the paid version ), and it is great. It records and tracks your handicap, gives you accurate distances to the front, center, and back, and I have yet to play a course that is not in the data-base. This morning will be the untilmate test. I am playing a round with some fellow THPer's (Nate, Tadashi, and Cookie) at the newly renovated Stevens Park (built in 1923) in Dallas. I am sure the course will be in the data-base, but will the upgrades? I will let you guys know.

Sam

Why would someone doing a count on phones include tablets and mp3 players? Hmmmm.

Why would someone doing a count on phones include tablets and mp3 players? Hmmmm.

Lol exactly. I don't get why people hate Blackberry so much. It's funny at times, but I like using my phone to be a phone and messaging powerhouse.

Yet if we don't look at just the US, where Steve Job's cult followers are for the majority. We can see that Samsung alone outsells Apple, this doesn't even include other Android phones.

q3-smartphone-market-share-iphone.png

This is from October 2011, after the Iphone 4s had been released and because the Nexus had been released.

Blackberry also has a larger market share in India than Iphone. Basically Iphone sells really well in the US, but other places, it's not as high of a percentage.

Well, why would you compare an operating system to a piece of hardware hmmmm? What sold more, copies of Windows 95 or Dell Desktops? See the problem? Apples and Oranges so to speak. Windows vs. OSX- that is an apples to apples. iOS to Android- that is apples to apples.

If you want to compare the Android operating system you have to compare it to another operating system then see which has the most users. Pretty basic stuff.

And Android is on some tablets and included in the comparison and in the way the Android calculates its numbers- so why would you not include where iOS is on other communication devices?- unless you were trying to hide the numbers that is.....

Lol exactly. I don't get why people hate Blackberry so much. It's funny at times, but I like using my phone to be a phone and messaging powerhouse.

I love blackberry. I have one now. I don't use an iPhone....yet. But it looks clear to me that Blackberry is going down the same route as Palm Pilot (which I also liked and owned).

I love blackberry. I have one now. I don't use an iPhone....yet. But it looks clear to me that Blackberry is going down the same route as Palm Pilot (which I also liked and owned).

Yeah I loved my Palm. I don't know, you could be right. The new CEO seems like he is going to be as stubborn as the last CEO's. Sucks because I love the keyboard lol.

Well, why would you compare an operating system to a piece of hardware hmmmm? What sold more, copies of Windows 95 or Dell Desktops? See the problem? Apples and Oranges so to speak. Windows vs. OSX- that is an apples to apples. iOS to Android- that is apples to apples.

If you want to compare the Android operating system you have to compare it to another operating system then see which has the most users. Pretty basic stuff.

And Android is on some tablets and included in the comparison and in the way the Android calculates its numbers- so why would you not include where iOS is on other communication devices?- unless you were trying to hide the numbers that is.....

Okay, so Samsung outsold Apple worldwide. There's no need to only look at the American market in a world business.

Not sure how I feel if this ends up being the first 10 device:

blackberrylondonleaked.jpg

Like many others here, the thing I love about my Blackberry is the keyboard.

Yeah I loved my Palm. I don't know, you could be right. The new CEO seems like he is going to be as stubborn as the last CEO's. Sucks because I love the keyboard lol.

I still have my work blackberry and I liked the latest ones that came out in the fall. Lack of apps was a killer for me.

This does make a lot of sense. They always compare ANDROID as a whole.

This does make a lot of sense. They always compare ANDROID as a whole.

Many places also use IOS as a whole as well.

It is the nature of the beast between closed and open. Apple chooses to have their products unavailable outside of their own hardware. Therefore, you are comparing two operating systems of Android vs IPhone because they are the platforms most commonly associated with the smartphone world. The same reason Android is compared to Blackberry. Because the discussion is about phones in general and the OS used on said phones.

This is the same argument for years that went on between Microsoft and Apple.

Okay, so Samsung outsold Apple worldwide. There's no need to only look at the American market in a world business.

And growing quickly.

To this day I will never understand some fans take on marketshare. The idea of being the underdog no longer I guess plays some of the role. However the idea of being different, was what it all started from and yet now its cheering no longer being different. Marketing is king in some areas I guess.

To this day I will never understand some fans take on marketshare. The idea of being the underdog no longer I guess plays some of the role. However the idea of being different, was what it all started from and yet now its cheering no longer being different. Marketing is king in some areas I guess.

What do you mean?

Beast mode from tapatalk

What do you mean?

Beast mode from tapatalk

Just a personal observation from a Mac user. Nothing really. The constant defense of the brand. The celebratory high fives about the brand. THe idea that they are being short changed. All from a company that's margins on their consumer sold products are through the roof. They make a solid product. I like what I use and have for a long time.

However for years it was, "marketshare means nothing because its better". Then it was "have you looked at the marketshare". I mean which one is it? The cult like following was for years kind of funny as this special group and they always loved the idea of being the underdog. Then they were not the underdog and its the exact opposite.

Its just funny to me. You, like me, really just choose a product because it works and brand plays little role in the choice. I just never understand the idea of brand loyalty I guess. Any company that is going to charge me to be loyal to them is weird in general, therefore I just choose based on what works for my needs.

that's pretty well said right there

Yeah I would agree, well said and no objections from me.

Whats a Blackberry?

Back