The business aspect of golf

kc720

Reaction score
Handicap
2manyclubs
Companies that are in golf, whether its equipment OEM, courses, club builders or what ever aspect of this game we love, are obviously in business to make money. If not they dont last long, as recent events with Nike and Taylormade show. Being a small business man, I can relate to some of the business concepts. The major aspect of business health is repeat business, followed by referrals to new customers, and making these new customers into repeat consumers. Rinse and repeat. Therein lies the billion dollar question. How do you create happy repeat customers over and over again. We've seen companies take to social media to better connect to their consumers. We see golf courses create facebook, instagram and twitter accounts to connect to people and offer promotions and such. All in an effort to drive new business and keep current consumers happy.

Since this is a #Grandaddy contest, lets take Callaway golf as an example

1. Callaway golf is the leader in the social media department out of all manufacturing OEM in my opinion. They have excelled at connecting with the consumers on a personal level. This helps drive personal connection as we know purchases tend to be emotionally driven

2. The Wedgeducation series with Roger Cleveland helps golfers improve scores. More avid golfers are more likely to buy new clubs rather than extreme beginners.

3. Their line of clubs have proven in the recent past to have great technology. More forgiveness and more distance helps to widen the section of golfers that would buy. #cupface, enough said.

Even with a company that is excelling, there is always room for improvement. For the sake of conversation, what would you do to drive the "business?"

Golf has an opportunity to increase participation by women. That's untapped potential. I would establish grass roots programs supporting women go get other women into golf across all ages. I've seen this work in other sports. I also think there is an opportunity for women-specific equipment brands, even if a sub-brand of an existing equipment company. Golf need to go beynd guys trying to figure out what clubs to get women to women getting what they want.

Golf has an opportunity to increase participation by women. That's untapped potential. I would establish grass roots programs supporting women go get other women into golf across all ages. I've seen this work in other sports. I also think there is an opportunity for women-specific equipment brands, even if a sub-brand of an existing equipment company. Golf need to go beynd guys trying to figure out what clubs to get women to women getting what they want.

I think women golfers make up mid 20%. Popularity of LPGA is growing I believe. Callaway Golf is displayed on the #1 woman golfer in the world. Would you lean more on that? So you're looking to tap more into what is perceived to be untapped.

Would you not be more aggressive toward the near 75% of the golfers?

I really think quality control is some thing that can be looked at. Most if not all OEM have tolerances of +/- couple degrees for loft and lie. Lots of golfers freak out when the lofts and lies are off when they order them. I think especially for custom orders tighter tolerances can help get bigger market share

I think women golfers make up mid 20%. Popularity of LPGA is growing I believe. Callaway Golf is displayed on the #1 woman golfer in the world. Would you lean more on that? So you're looking to tap more into what is perceived to be untapped.

Why not try to make that 20% 40% of the market and increase the market size?

I would lean more on Lydia sure, especially targeting the younger female audience. How do you make teen girls like golf? How do we get more teen/tween girls playing golf? Those questions I don't have the answer to, but I'm sure there are answers out there. Plus if you get more teen girls playing golf, the teen boys will likely follow shortly. :alien:

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket

Why not try to make that 20% 40% of the market and increase the market size?

I would lean more on Lydia sure, especially targeting the younger female audience. How do you make teen girls like golf? How do we get more teen/tween girls playing golf? Those questions I don't have the answer to, but I'm sure there are answers out there. Plus if you get more teen girls playing golf, the teen boys will likely follow shortly. :alien:

Sent from the magic know everything box in my pocket
Great point on that last statement hahaha

Good question. I think women are the key to more golf diversity across ages and other measures. I think they are the wedge that opens the door to the growth the sport desires. And, yes, if I was at Callaway, I would go into overdrive to connect to more women. LPGA is amazing and does not get the visibility deserved. But I would emphasize more of a grass roots campaign where real women players are supported to be sport and brand ambassadors.

I think mainly they need to make sure they don't fall into the same pitfalls as OEM's before them, especially TM. Inventory issues, doubling down on a model that isn't doing well; trying to branch out and investing too much in another area that's too tough to break into; all just things to consider. IMO, you have to keep innovating and their CPO is one of the big highlights of the company.

Back