The Callaway Mavrik Driver

After seeing Xander have this in play, no idea why people were growning about the looks, it looks sick!!
Oh, internet golfers gotta internet golf. Just a blanket statement here. But, I cannot remember a club that I thought was ugly based on USGA pics actually looking as bad as I thought it would.

It seems like the g400 max will be dethroned

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i was gaming the g400 max leading up to the grandaddy. my history with callaway drivers has been suspect, so of any club in my bag i was worried about selling, it was the g400 max. after the fitting and spending more time with the mav, yeah i’m good. that thing will be traded in or sold very soon.

Last edited:
I look forward to it. Again, it will probably replace my rogue.

I really liked the Rogue line of drivers. For me, the Rogue SZ was at least as good as the original Epic SZ if not better. I certainly didn't have any reason to upgrade. I did upgrade this year to the Flash SZ. And while I think it may have been slightly better than the Rogue SZ, I think I would have also been just fine continuing to play the Rogue. Everyone is obviously different, but having played the Mavrik for two rounds, I would upgrade without hesitation.

As a big fan of the Rogue driver, which I still currently use, this driver has my interest and then some.

i think it will. if and when you test, be sure to pop in the thread and give us some feedback!

The improvement in sound and feel alone cannot be emphasized enough and we will be able to talk about that more in a month or so.

I'll no doubt hit it as soon as it arrives at our club next month but if it doesn't sound/feel a lot closer to the Epic SZ than the Epic Flash there is zero chance I'll buy one. Full disclosure, I own three 9* Epic Sub Zeros.

haha I had a hard time rationalizing the second one I picked up recently, and a devil of a time not letting the wife see it. I feel like you're winning at something. :p

all this mavrik talk is getting my blood going. my morning meeting finished early. i think i’ll go to the range and give this thing a few rips!

Original pictures looked blah. Life pictures in use....I like the color combo so far. It's a nice shade of orange. I reserve final judgement until I see one in my hands to see what the look at address is ( crown vs sole ).

I'll no doubt hit it as soon as it arrives at our club next month but if it doesn't sound/feel a lot closer to the Epic SZ than the Epic Flash there is zero chance I'll buy one. Full disclosure, I own three 9* Epic Sub Zeros.
I think you will be pleased.

I absolutely do not need a new driver but i will be trying this out loL!

If it performs like the Epic I'm sure it'll end up in many bags. Excited to hear more from the guys that have it in their bag.

I really liked the Rogue line of drivers. For me, the Rogue SZ was at least as good as the original Epic SZ if not better. I certainly didn't have any reason to upgrade. I did upgrade this year to the Flash SZ. And while I think it may have been slightly better than the Rogue SZ, I think I would have also been just fine continuing to play the Rogue. Everyone is obviously different, but having played the Mavrik for two rounds, I would upgrade without hesitation.

Originally, I felt the ef sz had a better performance in terms of getting my flight to be straight or a slight draw with the adjustments. I am a high handicapper due to back problems and I fade and slice a lot usually with the rogue. Swing corrected after using the coach, I fixed that.

What I found was the ef sz on the stock tour ad went further than my rogue with a mca tensei blue av btw. Note, both have similar swing weight, the shafts have similar torque and profiles. I try to match the shafts as close as possible. I suspect if I fitted it with the exact same shaft it would go further.

the rogue has given me 180-200yards. the ef sz is definitely above 200y in those profiles above. Dispersion better on the ef sz. I suspect jailbreak plus first gen ff plays a part.

But if you say the mavrik is what it is, it will obviously replace my rogue and work in parallel with the epic flash sz.

Again I'm not looking to outdrive the previous driver, it's a plus if it gains 10-20 yards more. But to me, it is about matching the two sets so I'm comfortable with two generations of drivers that I get good dispersion, consistentency and most importantly, it helps the high handicapper level the playing field when teeing off with my mates and clients.

The improvement in sound and feel alone cannot be emphasized enough and we will be able to talk about that more in a month or so.

Haha feel is important. Sound wise , if it is similar to the epic sz and doesn’t sound like plastic or have a jarring ring to it, that will be nice.

Look forward to all your talk and updates soon

haha I had a hard time rationalizing the second one I picked up recently, and a devil of a time not letting the wife see it. I feel like you're winning at something. :p

Lol! I have the advantage of my wife spending a lot more on designer clothing, shoes, purses, and accessories than I ever could on golf equipment. I joke with her that if she wasn't such a spender she could be retired like me!:cool:

I have no problem with the name! I would be confused is Callaway went away from this in future clubs.
It's usually unique names that you can easily spot as a club from Callaway. BRANDING!

i was gaming the g400 max leading up to the grandaddy. my history with callaway drivers has been suspect, so of any club in my bag i was worried about selling, it was the g400 max. after the fitting and spending more time with the max, yeah i’m good. that thing will be traded in or sold very soon.

This sudden shift a big testament to this new driver. The G400 Max is so good!!
Xander put it in play and it looks a lot better than I thought it would!

This sudden shift a big testament to this new driver. The G400 Max is so good!!
Xander put it in play and it looks a lot better than I thought it would!

some out there are saying this driver doesn’t look good. looks are subjective, but imho this looks great.

If people are willing to get past the gimmicky name, and in my opinion a bad color choice and just swing it, they will be impressed.

I would be happier with longer drives in the fairway over a “pretty” driver any day.

I have no problem with the name, I actually kind of like it. I think I'll like the orange better then the John Deere scheme also but that doesn't really matter anyway because I'm not staring at the sole of the club when I'm addressing the ball. I'm super interested to see what the driver looks like from the top at address, that's the important part.

Xander just pounded this off 1. Sounds explosive!!!!

I wonder if my driver is currently being constructed in the fires of Asgard...maybe Nidavellir. Will I be worthy enough to wield it? Will it fly to me out of my bag when I walk by and lift my hand? Okay. A bit much. But TAKE MY MONEY AND GIVE ME MY HAMMER!

Back