The Callaway Mavrik Driver

Honest question - can people say the people who have tried the Mavrik here aren’t biased/have an agenda? Quick to jump on someone else for that when there’s pretty good reason to look at everyone here and say the same.

I’m looking forward to more/aggregate data to hopefully tell the whole story and get average results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It’s not quick to jump on someone when the information shared is lacking key data and context. I don’t have an agenda and I’m not biased, I’m just an internet golfer. As a team, however, we have a responsibility to deliver ACCURATE information regarding this release.

Honest question - can people say the people who have tried the Mavrik here aren’t biased/have an agenda? Quick to jump on someone else for that when there’s pretty good reason to look at everyone here and say the same.

I’m looking forward to more/aggregate data to hopefully tell the whole story and get average results.

I can't speak for all, but this year's Grandaddy team has several guys who didn't play a Callaway driver previously bc they just couldn't get make it work for their game (that includes the epic flash), so there is no bias there.

So while I know some will come in with the tired argument that THP has a Callaway bias so their reviews are skewed, I would caution that thought process and judge for yourself once all the details can be shared on 1/14/20.

So while I know some will come in with the tired argument that THP has a Callaway bias so their reviews are skewed, I would caution that thought process and judge for yourself once all the details can be shared on 1/14/20.

All anybody has to do is scroll to the bottom of the page and see there are over 35 sponsors on there. Its just easier to cast stones on the internet than to embrace the fun that exists through THP Events with over a dozen companies.

With that said, I dont think anybody was doing that here. I am "pro" good conversation. I am against mis-information and hopefully those privileged enough to have it remember they have the opportunity to share in a tactful THP way.

I could not disagree with this more. While I can't speak of it yet, to say this is heavy on marketing and others are more tech focused shows a vast misunderstanding on golf club design. Although using the review above as a lateral point, its clear the full story hasn't been shared with retailers yet.

What I do agree with, and most companies would as well, is that while tech is fun to discuss, the performance should dictate the purchase for any golfer.

Maybe I misspoke or did not explain in clearly. There is obviously tech and design. I do not discount that or the efforts of any R&D team. I am simply saying the "story" of tech is used to market the product. That is not a slam. I also did not say this is heavy on marketing more so than any other company. So you can stand down just a touch.

My point is, I read the tech, I see if it is interesting. For examply AI and jailbreak probably the two best ideas and developments in the last 10 years for drivers. THEY WORK. it is tech it is a story. Then after reading it, I see for my self it it plays out.

Another tech story. twist face, I found that there is nothing to see here. Injected face, great story, didn't produce more ball speed for me. Make sense?

The SIM driver, now there seems to be something to this inertia thing. Early results show some promise.

All anybody has to do is scroll to the bottom of the page and see there are over 35 sponsors on there. Its just easier to cast stones on the internet than to embrace the fun that exists through THP Events with over a dozen companies.

With that said, I dont think anybody was doing that here. I am "pro" good conversation. I am against mis-information and hopefully those privileged enough to have it remember they have the opportunity to share in a tactful THP way.

I'm all for the good conversation as well. I know the guys are ready to share what they can because there are some good stories to tell that many THPers can relate to. Good, bad or indifferent, the results will be shared in a tactful THP way.

Not trying to start a big dispute here or anything like that, just trying to understand the numbers as I see them. ME THINKING, I can see the same smash factor, only 1 mph difference in club head speed, one traveling 4 yards more but having 13 ft. less of a curve to the left. Again I might be missing something. Bottom line to me is that I don't think I'm that good to notice the intricate differences between the two clubs.

So you can stand down just a touch.

You seem to have me confused with someone else.
Im not standing.
Just as each time my stories come out questioned :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I can't speak for all, but this year's Grandaddy team has several guys who didn't play a Callaway driver previously bc they just couldn't get make it work for their game (that includes the epic flash), so there is no bias there.

Not trying to accuse anyone - playing devil’s advocate. Until we see the numbers, it’s all just conjecture and people’s word. So I look forward to the 14th to see what this hype is about.

You seem to have me confused with someone else.
Im not standing.
Just as each time my stories come out questioned :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

You seem to think I do not know what I am saying or lack information. That is incorrect.

Not trying to start a big dispute here or anything like that, just trying to understand the numbers as I see them. ME THINKING, I can see the same smash factor, only 1 mph difference in club head speed, one traveling 4 yards more but having 13 ft. less of a curve to the left. Again I might be missing something. Bottom line to me is that I don't think I'm that good to notice the intricate differences between the two clubs.

Here is where I am going with this, I have a feeling his smash factor was either standardized or wrong.
With that said, reviews basing only driver on shots hit only on the button are about as meaningful as trying to eat cat hair and calling it pasta. Its ******* absurd to think someone is going to learn anything about a product from that other than impact sound.

This is usually the case with people trying to play beat the clock for click bait. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Here is where I am going with this, I have a feeling his smash factor was either standardized or wrong.
With that said, reviews basing only driver on shots hit only on the button are about as meaningful as trying to eat cat hair and calling it pasta. Its ******* absurd to think someone is going to learn anything about a product from that other than impact sound.

This is usually the case with people trying to play beat the clock for click bait. :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Cat hair and pasta? ??

I get where you're coming from, but...even when you see numbers, they'll be subjective won't they? Some of my favorite club reviewers will still tell you that the results they are seeing are specific to the swinger and THEIR averages. My point is, ultimately, everything you see will be either opinion or subjective. Best thing to go do is go swing them for yourself and see what you're getting. Otherwise, it would be easy to find perceived bias anywhere you're looking.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the releases and seeing how they stack up against my current setup since I'm not quite sure my gamer is getting dethroned.

Last edited:

The funny thing is I am very impressed by the mavrik, I like it. I get better numbers with it than my epic flash sub zero. I like to share info I find, good or bad. Thats all. My light on tech comment is really that it lacks adjustment options sliding weights, etc. Those will 100% be featured on the next line of epic or whatever it is called in 2021. Not that they spent less effort in desgning a quality product. That is just silly.

I am one who believes these companies want people to play better. Not just sell stuff.

Not trying to accuse anyone - playing devil’s advocate. Until we see the numbers, it’s all just conjecture and people’s word. So I look forward to the 14th to see what this hype is about.

didn't take it that way. My comments were more to highlight that bias from the guys that have isn't there and that will show once details can be shared.
Anything people like or gravitate towards, you'll defend it and that inherently introduces some sort of bias, but from a review perspective the guys have a duty to be truthful and honest. I think you'll see that throughout the reviews.

Those numbers don’t seem to jive.
They set both drivers at 7*. IMO with the smash factor being the same and the spin being lower the MAVRIK would need to be set at a higher loft to achieve the desired launch angle and then it would carry further and roll further. Club speed is mostly user input so the smash is really important here. This is why fitting is important and throwing your old shaft and old settings into a new head doesn't always work. I am not prepared to be wowed by this offering, but the tests should at least be fair IMO.

Fair enough. Looking forward to the reviews.

I get where you're coming from

Even when you see numbers, they'll be subjective won't they? Some of my favorite club reviewers will still tell you that the results they are seeing are specific to the swinger and THEIR averages. My point is, ultimately, everything you see will be either opinion or subjective. Best thing to go do is go swing them for yourself and see what you're getting. Otherwise, it would be easy to find perceived bias anywhere you're looking.
Personally, I'm looking forward to the releases and seeing how they stack up against my current setup since I'm not quite sure my gamer is getting dethroned.

That’s why I specifically said aggregate and average.

As much as this groaner of a conversation doesn't need to continue, I'm going to comfortably roll my eyes at 1.50 reviews. It's either a monitor that locks in smash factor (which makes the whole discussion pointless), a person who is unbelievably good at golf, or fabricated.

None of these scenarios tell a real story.

The funny thing is I am very impressed by the mavrik, I like it. I get better numbers with it than my epic flash sub zero. I like to share info I find, good or bad. Thats all. My light on tech comment is really that it lacks adjustment options sliding weights, etc. Those will 100% be featured on the next line of epic or whatever it is called in 2021. Not that they spent less effort in desgning a quality product. That is just silly.

I am one who believes these companies want people to play better. Not just sell stuff.
Why does no sliding weight = light on tech? Sliding weights are not necessarily an indication of more or less tech, just adjustability.

As much as this groaner of a conversation doesn't need to continue, I'm going to comfortably roll my eyes at 1.50 reviews. It's either a monitor that locks in smash factor (which makes the whole discussion pointless), a person who is unbelievably good at golf, or fabricated.

1578424038651.gif

Back