The Callaway Mavrik Driver

Only tried the rogue white 60 and 70x. The 60 had too much of a kick and felt pretty loose. The 70 I could have happily played.
I traded in 2 clubs and had a $100 gift card, so I only paid $150 total including the Ventus. The profile of the Rogue White doesn’t typically fit my swing. It’s an amazing shaft tho for a stock offering!
And we apparently feel the exact same about the rogue white... now you're really pissing me off. :p:p

Congrats on the results and the purchase. Sounds like a sweet setup.

Last edited:
Damnit. This is exactly why I said I needed to stop reading this thread. I've been pondering a 10.5 SZ (instead of a 9), because I didn't get to hit one, and *in my head* it's potentially solving a couple very minor issues.
10.5 degree head with heavy weight forward? High flying low spinning bombs.

Attachments

• 0 bytes · Views: 0
I just got an Epic Flash driver at the end of last year and really enjoy it. I don’t need a new driver, but man this thread has me really wanting the Mavrik. Grandaddy guys killing the reviews. I will for sure hit this in the spring against my EF. The thing with my EF, I haven’t moved the sliding weight off neutral for a long time now, so it’s probably something I can give up for more forgiveness elsewhere.

I just got an Epic Flash driver at the end of last year and really enjoy it. I don’t need a new driver, but man this thread has me really wanting the Mavrik. Grandaddy guys killing the reviews. I will for sure hit this in the spring against my EF. The thing with my EF, I haven’t moved the sliding weight off neutral for a long time now, so it’s probably something I can give up for more forgiveness elsewhere.
I never had a meaningful change in ball flight by moving a sliding weight. So, less weight spent on a sliding track is fine by me.

Im so tempted to grab one of these. Just wish there was somewhere around here to do an outdoor fitting and try shafts with someone who knows what they're doing.

I think this is sound logic - I don't look for a sliding weight either.

So this showed up today:

7DB8D72F-2C5B-4274-ABFE-6D57A52BCF00.jpeg

8B5CFFA1-B7A3-4515-8B9D-4D2A7F7EE262.jpeg

F2ADFF19-EB36-4FCA-8176-C4B1FA473C28.jpeg

CDF6435E-07AE-4FD3-A2E9-6962BBCD404D.jpeg

B678AC68-41BC-470C-9CD3-C484D705777C.jpeg

I did manage a few balls in the range this afternoon with a few snowflakes joining me. To be fair to the driver my back was not in the greatest shape after stripping drywall down in my basement all afternoon before going. First thoughts, sound is better then Rogue and EF but still not quite what my preference is. I can live with it but it could be better to my personal taste. I wasn’t sure about the colors but honestly you don’t even notice the tiny bit of it on the crown at address so that is a non issue. I also wasn’t sure the Aldila Rogue White was going to look very good with it either but again I was pleased by the appearance of the pair.

I hit a few drives with my trusty F8 just to see where my swing was at to start. It wasn’t bad but I knew the back was not going to net me maximum results. I had the Mavrik Max set at neutral -1 for 9.5* of loft. I was having a little launch issue but I actually attribute that to the soreness in my back not letting me make the best swing to hit up on the ball. Even the less then desired launch was not ending with terrible results. I did finally manage to put together some solid swings and as suspected the launch issue was me and the back and when I did my part launch was perfect. Distance is hard to judge on that particular range so I will reserve comment on that until I have some better data other the to say it didn’t seem short by any means.

My best swings resulted in a really nice tight draw and I did feel like I could work it either way but need a little more getting to know each other to really be confident on producing a ball flight on demand. I honestly did not feel like I had any really bad results even with my body not being in the best state at the time and I was expecting some really far offline hits every now and then from the back issue.

I had no real expectations for the combo as I had not tried that particular shaft and was fit in to a non option exotic. I took a gamble knowing I might have to pick up a shaft later on down the road but as of right now I am feeling like I can make this pairing work.

I am looking forward to some warmer weather over the weekend and some more time with the driver. I do think there is a period when I get a new club that I have to really get to know it before I am really confident with it and that is especially true for drivers. With that said, this one got off on a really good start and I have a good feeling and high expectations.

good stuff @Stryker. did you hit the standard mav? its sound is very different than the max.

good stuff @Stryker. did you hit the standard mav? its sound is very different than the max.
No the Max was what I was fit in to so I stuck with that. Again it’s not horrendous but just sounds a little dull or muted to me. I am kind of partial to the sound of the F8 and it’s hard for me to love any other sound. Just a personal thing really.

No the Max was what I was fit in to so I stuck with that. Again it’s not horrendous but just sounds a little dull or muted to me. I am kind of partial to the sound of the F8 and it’s hard for me to love any other sound. Just a personal thing really.

well if you think the max is muted you probably won’t hear anything with the standard. it is a ton more muted. to me anyway.

Finally got to check these out in person today, I didn't think the orange was as bright as I expected, which was a good surprise, it's more of a dark, almost burnt orange, and the crown is very similar to my epic, loved the overall look, and the sole looked quite tech packed.

well if you think the max is muted you probably won’t hear anything with the standard. it is a ton more muted. to me anyway.
Lol, I still find that odd. We all perceive things differently though. Come from different clubs and such. I don't find the standard muted necessarily. Not loud by any means. When I think muted, I think if OG Epic. Or, the SIM line.

I still have to get to the shop and see what this Max is all about.

I have just placed an order for a Callaway Mavrik SubZero 9*. Project X Yellow 75 6.5 -1/2 short.

For those that know my alma mater allegiance, this is a happy day for me! I was super excited to see a name that I loved with a company that I love. It doesn’t hurt that it is a beast off the tee too!

1597075829705.png
I was going to hold off until the 2021 Grandaddy for a new driver but I won a bunch of shop credit at my brother’s guest day.

CAN NOT WAIT TO GET IT IN A FEW WEEKS!

my round with the standard this weekend left me feeling that it is "solid" at impact and much more muted than the max. The Max imo isn't loud at all, but the standard just has a more solid feel at impact thus creating a more muted sound for me

It's been awhile since I've posted in this thread because my driver swing has been complete trash. But now that I've figured it out, at least for the time being, I'm quickly reminded how much of a beast the Mavrik driver is. Taking advantage of some dry fairways, I hit my two longest measured drives: 301 and 299, according to the cart's GPS. I've had a couple get up to 290 previously, but I've never seen a 3 to start my total distance number. That was an awesome feeling. Both left me great looks too, with the latter shrinking a par 5. Unfortunately, I pushed a 6i, but I'll take an iron into a par 5 green any day.

I played the next day, hoping to keep the bombs going. Course was a little wetter, and while I did not hit any 300, I had quite a few in the 270-280 range. On 6 holes, I found myself closer to the hole than I've ever been. I wish the rest of my game didn't let me down, because I'm not sure I've ever driven it as well as I have the last two rounds.

Like my Grandaddy brother James one post up I have been quiet in this thread lately. I struggle with a pull and sometimes its playable and other times its a maddening smothered pull hook. I am a feel player that tries to make changes without really thinking about it. The hook has been so bad lately that real changes are needed in order to find some consistency. I have been working on getting vertical in the back swing. This is a very different feel than my ingrained back swing that way inside. It feels so awkward right now that I am surprised how well I am striking the ball. I hate having all of these thoughts in my head at address and during the swing but it is necessary to facilitate the changes that are needed.

So I played my first round Sunday using the new swing and it could not have went better. I have recently acquired a Skytrak and it showed my new swing being 98-102 mph. My old swing was 105-110. I was looking for a higher ball flight so I swapped in a UST Elements Chrome shaft in place of my normal low launch low spin shafts. I am hitting towering shots now with a bit of fade if not straight. I hope to get some speed back after the new swing takes hold but I am absolutely thrilled to be in the fairway or close in the 250 yard range. The Mavrik driver was nothing short of phenomenal on the front nine. I got a little loose on the back nine but the misses were small compared to the old hook swing. The standard Mavrik driver is just a super fun club to hit. I have hit some 300+ yard bombs that were fun but being in the fairway on nearly every hole is more exciting to me and is the key to lowering my scores.

i made some good swings today with the mav max that hooked off the planet. as fun as it has been, it may be time to look elsewhere. i don’t want to lose the spin profile, but i loathe the left side of a golf course. maybe epic speed ls???

i made some good swings today with the mav max that hooked off the planet. as fun as it has been, it may be time to look elsewhere. i don’t want to lose the spin profile, but i loathe the left side of a golf course. maybe epic speed ls???

Maybe look at lie angle too. I went to the TD which sits between the Mav SZ and the Standard and it loves to fade.

what are the cog settings? Also any chance your grip has creeped strong without knowing?

Ewwww, the lefts are the worst! It looks like these guys gave you some good ideas but I say new and shiny!

what are the cog settings? Also any chance your grip has creeped strong without knowing?

i figure my instructor would tell me if we need to look at grip. he likes my numbers, but we ran out of hosel options. lowered loft, and left it standard (or neutral, i don’t recall).

i figure my instructor would tell me if we need to look at grip. he likes my numbers, but we ran out of hosel options. lowered loft, and left it standard (or neutral, i don’t recall).
I know my lefts are because my swing gets flat. Your instructor will pick up on the reason right away.

i was talking more about today’s drives that you hit and went left. I know you mentioned a longer than anticipated round so during the frustration I just wondered if your grip might have gotten strong without knowing. I know during my round when I start seeing the left to right ball flight come back into to play, I’ve gotten lazy with my grip without knowing.

Red Dot adapter or Green will fix that.

Back