The Car Shopping Thread

I wrecked and totalled my Kia (who cares except I damn near died). That was going to be the 5 star safety rating car for the kids once they started driving. Totaled it 09/17, oldest got his license a week later. Sorry kid.

My only other car is a 2004 Trailblazer. It’s ugly. It’s a gas guzzler at 270 hp as a box. But by god if there is snow it can’t handle, it’ll be a blizzard. I literally made it through 3ft of snow last year with zero issues. In fact he (I call him Reggie) and I welcomed the challenge. It’ll take a legit blizzard to not make it where I’m going, lol.

As to what car I’m getting next, I have no clue. Probably will wait until I see a commercial I can’t pass up. I’m pretty brand agnostic so long as they’re well rated for safety. That why I bought the damn Kia. 8 broken bones and emergency surgery later to stop the internal bleeding, I’m alive. So I guess I shouldn’t complain.

My only other car is a 2004 Trailblazer. It’s ugly. It’s a gas guzzler at 270 hp as a box. But by god if there is snow it can’t handle, it’ll be a blizzard. I literally made it through 3ft of snow last year with zero issues. In fact he (I call him Reggie) and I welcomed the challenge. It’ll take a legit blizzard to not make it where I’m going, lol.

Here's my 02.

my MDB bumper.jpg

And here I am seriously having to consider trading the Tahoe for a minivan again.

Does anyone have experience with the Subaru Outback? I'm going to be putting a ton of miles on for work and want something that gets better mileage than my truck but still gets around in snow and this seems like a good option.
WE have had several Subarus including the outback. They are great in snow if you have the right tires on them. Had some Bridgestone model and would spin and wouldn't stop. changed to Continentals and the thing was like a tank in the snow. The outback doesn't have the same ground clearance the Forester has but gets better mpg.

The outback doesn't have the same ground clearance the Forester has but gets better mpg.
They're both 8.7" of ground clearance. More than my Trailblazer, stock at 8" and the Grand Cherokee at 8".

Well the side effect of my wife getting a Crosstrek is we really don't need two utility vehicles. So I think the MKC is getting replaced by a Genesis G70 3.3 Twin Turbo.

genesis-g70-promo.jpg

I'm staring down the barrel of a Dadvan.

The thing is, it remains the most logical solution, and it would really only be for 2-3 years until the twins can turn forward facing as well and buckle themselves in.

But man the ego damage is real.

I'm staring down the barrel of a Dadvan.

The thing is, it remains the most logical solution, and it would really only be for 2-3 years until the twins can turn forward facing as well and buckle themselves in.

But man the ego damage is real.
We have 3 in a sierra crew cab, so I'm also having some of the thoughts you are having, but never thought I would have. Sliding doors, a rear seat, and more interior room keeps sounding more appealing...

My wife is in a Mini Countryman with the captains seats in the back instead of the bench seats...Looking to replace it as the little guy and all his "stuff" just is starting to make the Mini a bit tight and we are planning on having one or two more kids in the future. Looking at the new Toyota Rav4 as my dream SUV would be the 4Runner and the new Rav4's look like mini 4Runners.

My other thought is just go over the top with space and go with the new Kia Telluride. One because it looks awesome and two it is a lot of fun to go deep voice and say "Telluride" like they do in all Kia commericals that mention it.

We have 3 in a sierra crew cab, so I'm also having some of the thoughts you are having, but never thought I would have. Sliding doors, a rear seat, and more interior room keeps sounding more appealing...
Same. With three here, man those sliding doors sound amazing.

Took advantage of some Black Friday deals and got my wife out of her Wrangler and into a 20 Grand Cherokee. With her staying home with our grandkids at the start of the year needed a bit more room than the Wrangler afforded.

C819A278-7B37-4531-97CF-0F0BDFD893FF.jpeg

Ended up resigning another Forte lease. I had shipped around looking at a couple of different options. Looked at GTI's and used SQ5's, but came down to the fact that 95% of my time in the car is me, alone, in traffic. So we decided that with my wife's car needing to be replaced in the next 12-18 months that we would hold off on going bigger until then and just keep the stupid cheap payments of the Forte for the second car.

Well the side effect of my wife getting a Crosstrek is we really don't need two utility vehicles. So I think the MKC is getting replaced by a Genesis G70 3.3 Twin Turbo.

View attachment 8912268

This ponder was replaced quickly. 2021 can't come soon enough.

Tesla-Cybertruck-Electric-Pickup-Truck-Front-3-4-in-Motion-on-Road-Course-2.jpg

Buried my 2000 Acura 3.2 TL 2 months ago. I had it for 16 years. Replaced it with 2014 Lexus RX 350. Planning on another long term play.
2014_lexus_rx_350-pic-6617498802777387187-1600x1200.jpeg

Last edited:
Minivan, you say?

2f6eb36a69a13feed18ddf5b49dc370e.jpg

Ended up resigning another Forte lease. I had shipped around looking at a couple of different options. Looked at GTI's and used SQ5's, but came down to the fact that 95% of my time in the car is me, alone, in traffic. So we decided that with my wife's car needing to be replaced in the next 12-18 months that we would hold off on going bigger until then and just keep the stupid cheap payments of the Forte for the second car.
Damn...that stinks. As someone that has owned two Audi's, the GTI or especially the SQ5 would have put a smile on your face that no Forte could ever. Maybe get your wife into an SQ5 in a year? Not sure if you were looking at B8.5 (13-17) or B9 (18+), but B8.5 SQ5 prices have hit an all time low. For what you get with it, you can't really go wrong. Everytime I romp on the 3.0T engine in my Q5 it just confirms I made an excellent choice.

And on the topic of minivans, I absolutely despise them but Ben Baller's Chrysler is pretty sweet:
dc4285_71e8dc74bee54597a15baa9469a87761~mv2.jpg

Damn...that stinks. As someone that has owned two Audi's, the GTI or especially the SQ5 would have put a smile on your face that no Forte could ever. Maybe get your wife into an SQ5 in a year? Not sure if you were looking at B8.5 (13-17) or B9 (18+), but B8.5 SQ5 prices have hit an all time low. For what you get with it, you can't really go wrong. Everytime I romp on the 3.0T engine in my Q5 it just confirms I made an excellent choice.

It does suck, but I just couldn't justify it. SQ5 I looked at was B8.5. Was a '15, great deal, but yeah just way more than what I need. Plus I didn't want to go down the rabbit hole of mods (good friend is a Unitronic dealer, so it wouldn't have stayed stock long, duel pulley would have went on asap). So, just tried to make the smart decision for the time being haha.

B9 SQ5/Q5 and 4M Q7 will be on her list and possibly Macan or I'd like to find a TDI Cayenne, but we'll see in another year what the needs are, depends if baby #2 is decided on or not.

B9 SQ5/Q5 and 4M Q7 will be on her list and possibly Macan or I'd like to find a TDI Cayenne, but we'll see in another year what the needs are, depends if baby #2 is decided on or not.

Yea the Q7 will at least give you a 3rd row and have a lot of the newer tech (digital cockpit etc.). I know they are coming out with a VW Atlas Sportback too, might be something to consider.

Yea the Q7 will at least give you a 3rd row and have a lot of the newer tech (digital cockpit etc.). I know they are coming out with a VW Atlas Sportback too, might be something to consider.

I know the 3.6 is tried and proven, but I really wish they would introduce a new engine option on the Atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I know the 3.6 is tried and proven, but I really wish they would introduce a new engine option on the Atlas.
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yea that's the one negative about VW, they either use the 3.6 or the 2.0T and nothing else haha. Audi has the 2.0T, 2.9T, 3.0T (SC and TC), 4.0T Mmmmmmmm

Yea that's the one negative about VW, they either use the 3.6 or the 2.0T and nothing else haha. Audi has the 2.0T, 2.9T, 3.0T (SC and TC), 4.0T Mmmmmmmm

It’s true. Frig, I’d even take a hybrid offering here in NA.

It’s unfortunate we don’t get the new Touareg. Has the 3.0T. Slightly larger than a Q5 and has a VW badge so a little more discreet. Perfect really.

It’s true. Frig, I’d even take a hybrid offering here in NA.

It’s unfortunate we don’t get the new Touareg. Has the 3.0T. Slightly larger than a Q5 and has a VW badge so a little more discreet. Perfect really.
Didn't even realize there was a 2020 Touareg! Damn it looks good:
7b1fa7eec3f0949a82af966e2175dc3e.png

I mean at least Audi is finally bringing over the RS6 Avant, too bad it's gonna be like $90k+ haha

My truck is getting to the point where I'm eyeing a replacement, but the more I look into it the more I may just drive & repair this thing forever. The cost of new trucks is insane. It's hard to go from having a truck that's been paid for 8 years ago to suddenly having a massive payment - for a vehicle that is no more capable than what I have now.

I would agree, the only true new add ons are the technology aspects. It is hard to drop 30-50K for these.

Test drove an Odyssey this past weekend. Its actually pretty awesome.

And HALF the cost of a new Expedition Max.

Back