The Car Shopping Thread

One thing you may want to consider is cost on insurance. Every area is different on price, but the cars that would be classic first teenager vehicles have a tendency to be more expensive due to accident rate.

A Subaru is going to be cheaper many times over a Ford Fusion.

The Nissan Altima, Honda Civics, Toyota Camry, and Chevy Malibu sometimes are pricier.

We gave our sons a Ford Focus to drive in Indiana. They get a good deal of bad weather. Vehicle has been reliable all four years so far

My son is about 6’2” and 250 and doesn’t show any sign of ending puberty / growth any time soon - not sure a Focus would work. Under my own insurance, I have a permissive use clause that allows him to use any vehicle I own at the moment. That said, I want to get something that could last him through college and will fit his overgrown ass as he continues on his quest to outgrow me.

I’m fairly undecided at the moment. Subaru and Fors offer AWD...you start getting into German cars for AWD after that. I could hand him my 4Runner but I really don’t want him having that high Center if gravity just yet.

Pacifica vs Odyssey

It’s finally happening folks. Minivan driving dad of three time in t-minus 3 weeks.

My son is about 6’2” and 250 and doesn’t show any sign of ending puberty / growth any time soon - not sure a Focus would work. Under my own insurance, I have a permissive use clause that allows him to use any vehicle I own at the moment. That said, I want to get something that could last him through college and will fit his overgrown ass as he continues on his quest to outgrow me.

I’m fairly undecided at the moment. Subaru and Fors offer AWD...you start getting into German cars for AWD after that. I could hand him my 4Runner but I really don’t want him having that high Center if gravity just yet.
I have owned 3 Subaru’s now and they have all been great cars. My wife’s crosstrek almost went 100,000 miles with just routine maintenance before we traded it in. The AWD is simply fantastic and MPGs are great. Almost always the safest cars in their classes. Someone mentioned infotainment not being the best and I would agree. I would also add that the interior comfort is not the best but the rest of the car makes up for it.

Shopping used cars for my teenage son. Needs AWD / 4WD for the snow, safety, reliability and as much hands free integration as I can get (CarPlay...I know I can do that aftermarket with a new head Unit).

I’ve been thinking used Subaru Outback...seems to get the job done and have plenty of room even for a big guy like my boy.

Thoughts? Fusion AWD?Anything else I should look at?

What's your budget? I got my son a 2010 Ford Escape last year. Seems to fit what you're looking for.

What's your budget? I got my son a 2010 Ford Escape last year. Seems to fit what you're looking for.

No budgetary restrictions, but I’d love to keep it between $10-20K and 2014 or newer.

Pacifica vs Odyssey

It’s finally happening folks. Minivan driving dad of three time in t-minus 3 weeks.

Odyssey...all day long. My wife refuses to give hers up for an SUV even in snowy weather. My kids are in their teens and love ir.

Pacifica vs Odyssey

Not sure if you're bragging or complaining.... Updating your avatar in 3 weeks? Pictures or it didn't happen

Pacifica @Jman

we’ve rented them a couple times on vacation and they’re awesome

Pacifica @Jman

we’ve rented them a couple times on vacation and they’re awesome
My only issue is I’ve got two backward facing for another year and one forward, the Odyssey has the magic slide second row which could be killer there. But, Pacifica does have the button to move the front seat forward from the back in order to tilt and let the eldest into the back.

Choices.

Funny thing? I’m both at peace and excited. Gonna make my life as transport WAY easier.

Pacifica vs Odyssey

I had Pacifica as a rental for a week - I loved, wanted to buy on the spot.
FCA got this one right....

Was down in Florida back in the beginning of November last year and had a 2020 Ford Fusion for a RC. Liked it so much, when I got back home I went and bought one. Got such a great deal on it also. Had the car for almost two months now and am lovin it. :)

20191120_175708.jpg

Pacifica vs Odyssey

Vacuum is the obvious choice here.

Pacifica vs Odyssey

Congrats. Kids are the best and worst at the same time. When they are the worst, they are also the most fun.

Both have them now I think :oops:

Have begun the process today. o_O

Wow, so it does. I mean, smart feature to have. I have no further advice then haha.

Wow, so it does. I mean, smart feature to have. I have no further advice then haha.
I sort of hate that the move makes so much sense, and I hate that I know I’ll end up loving it.

After having multiple Auto Stop issues with my 15' Jeep Cherokee, it got so bad that that the dealer filed for a CDI with FCA, which got approved.
I was able to get True Employee pricing on a new FCA vehicle.
So I picked up a new 2019 Dodge Journey, Red with the BlackTop and V6 options on Saturday. Got a really incredible price for it.
Car was at another dealer and just happened when I gave the sales person the ok to get the car from that dealer, that dealer called my dealer needing a pick up they had, so they made a clean swap.

I know it's an older style car however I just need something that holds my golf "Stuff" and got me to work.
This one runs so much better than the Jeep already, It has a nicer ride and better shifting trans.

I did want to add that I picked up a Chrysler Max Care (Top Tier) Warranty online from a Zeigler in Michigan today for less than half of what Chrysler Direct and the selling dealer offered.
I even was able to barter using a screen shot of another dealer's online offering.

So if you are inclined to pick a Extended Warranty, shop around online, there is savings to be had.
1579889771930.png

Updating with a stock photo - For what Dodge Journeys are, the Red with the Blacktop Package really changes the looks - Like the extra room in the back for my Golf gear.

Well, minivan it is.

2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus with the S package on it.

And you know what? The blacked out wheels and badges makes it way less mom-y. And it was fun to drive. I’m pretty ok with it all, shockingly. :oops:

And you know what? The blacked out wheels and badges makes it way less mom-y. And it was fun to drive.

Jk, ha, some people love them. Lucky my wife is pretty staunchly against minivans.

Well, minivan it is.

2020 Pacifica Touring L Plus with the S package on it.

And you know what? The blacked out wheels and badges makes it way less mom-y. And it was fun to drive. I’m pretty ok with it all, shockingly. :oops:
Quit making so much sense for a dad with 3 kids!!!

Jk, ha, some people love them. Lucky my wife is pretty staunchly against minivans.

You’re a Baylor fan, I would expect you to not get it. ;)

Logic and caring about the family is a b*tch man! :p

You are making a lot of sense and when you have kids you tend to do that! I had a few company vehicles that were minivans back when they were all very soccer mommish, at least you have some better options now!

You are making a lot of sense and when you have kids you tend to do that! I had a few company vehicles that were minivans back when they were all very soccer mommish, at least you have some better options now!
I’m going to miss my Tahoe. But I won’t miss my 5yo having to crawl underneath the twins car seats to get to hers. Im honestly glad I finally pulled the trigger.

I’m going to miss my Tahoe. But I won’t miss my 5yo having to crawl underneath the twins car seats to get to hers. Im honestly glad I finally pulled the trigger.

Yep, I get it. We have 3 kids and back when they were younger the minivan was the easiest vehicle to own especially when I was hauling other kids around to and from sports which was 5+ days a week, lol. They grow up super fast and when they start driving you'll get to choose something less practical.:)

My youngest gets her permit in August and we will be shopping soon for a used a small AWD SUV for her as she'll be driving in the snow.

Back