The Car Shopping Thread

OK so the wife and I went this weekend looking to get her into a slightly larger vehicle. She currently has a CRV.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

Opinions on the above? The Hyundai Santa Fe seems to be the winner, but I like the possibility of a 3rd row in the Sorento.... The CX9 is also nice but is much larger...

Most likely will lease this vehicle unless the finance deal is much better.
My son bought a Telluride and loves it. Then again he's only had it for 4 months so that's that.

OK so the wife and I went this weekend looking to get her into a slightly larger vehicle. She currently has a CRV.

We looked at:
Honda Passport
Hyundai Santa Fe
Kia Sorento

Others
Kia Telluride
Mazda CX9

Opinions on the above? The Hyundai Santa Fe seems to be the winner, but I like the possibility of a 3rd row in the Sorento.... The CX9 is also nice but is much larger...

Most likely will lease this vehicle unless the finance deal is much better.
By your description I assume these are all new 2021 model year vehicles. Correct? How long do you plan on having this vehicle? Three years? Five years? Something else? Anything else important to you besides bigger?

By your description I assume these are all new 2021 model year vehicles. Correct? How long do you plan on having this vehicle? Three years? Five years? Something else? Anything else important to you besides bigger?

They don’t have to be 2021.we are also looking to possibly get a great deal on a 2020. ...

if we finance it would be for probably 7 years on a 2020.

as for features, Reliable awd for snow, safety and easy to use features like radio, climate control, car play, etc.

Picked up a 2019 Ford Edge ST a couple weeks ago. So far, color me impressed. Looks good, rides great, good power, comfortable seating and most of the options available. For some reason this one doesn't have remote start which is really strange but other than that, no complaints so far.

My thoughts are I agree to the extent that I would only do an F10 in M Sport.

I bought a 2014 F10 535i with 36k in 2016 - upgraded springs and struts and rear sway bar - But you can't put lipstick on a pig.

Hence, the purchase of the 2017 540i M Sport. If one can find a 2017 540i for under 35k, that's a great, high tech car for the future that is tighter than the previous 5 Series - lots of high tech bells and whistles that are useful. Well worth the additional money.
There’s a 2017 540xi for sale down the road from me for $32k with 22k miles that has clean title and clean 1 owner carfax. I may pull the trigger on it this week. It’s a bit over the 25k I was hoping to spend, but it may be too good of a deal to pass up.

There’s a 2017 540xi for sale down the road from me for $32k with 22k miles that has clean title and clean 1 owner carfax. I may pull the trigger on it this week. It’s a bit over the 25k I was hoping to spend, but it may be too good of a deal to pass up.

That sounds really good. Check out the options and make certain the suspension is what you want.

I chucked the standard run-flats as soon as I got the car but that's a personal decision. Some like the run-flats but they roughened up the ride on 20 inch wheels. Smaller diameter wheels with RF's will feel smoother.

Recently upgraded my oldest's 16 Escape that had been having electrical issues to a 19 Rogue Sport. Now looking for my middle daughter's first vehicle (turns 16 in May). She primarily been looking at the subcompact SUV, but doesn't have to stay in that category.

Here's some we've been watching. Only looking at 19 or 20s primarily because of the amount of safety features that many are making standard now. She'd probably like a Rogue, but not sure she would go that route since big sis has one.

Nissan Kicks
Hyundai Kona
Hyundai Tucson
Toyota C-HR
Mazda CX3

Any experience with any of these listed?

Recently upgraded my oldest's 16 Escape that had been having electrical issues to a 19 Rogue Sport. Now looking for my middle daughter's first vehicle (turns 16 in May). She primarily been looking at the subcompact SUV, but doesn't have to stay in that category.

Here's some we've been watching. Only looking at 19 or 20s primarily because of the amount of safety features that many are making standard now. She'd probably like a Rogue, but not sure she would go that route since big sis has one.

Nissan Kicks
Hyundai Kona
Hyundai Tucson
Toyota C-HR
Mazda CX3

We test drove a Kia Seltos last night. Great little grocery getter and tons of safety on it Model S, LX less expensive version is bare bones....

2020 Tesla Model S Extended Range with lifetime supercharging

He should be able to get rid of it pretty easily on Autotrader or many similar websites. New they were $71k with only a few upgrade options such as certain paint and interior colors, wheels, and $10k for the full self-driving. He'll have to discount a little being a private party, but there are lots of Tesla fanboys out there, so it should be easy to sell. I have 2015 with 114k miles on it but am keeping it for another year or two since it still drives like new and actually, with the AWD and 5,000 lb curb weight, does really well on our snowy/icy roads here in Minnesota.

If you are planning to have the vehicle well into its high mileage years (say above 200K), then consider this.

I've had several engineers and mechanics in the auto industry suggest you stay away from the 4-cylinder engine vehicles. They say that due to the federal mileage edicts designers have had to really push the limits on these engines and as a result they no longer have the long life they had in the past.

Additionally, the most bullet-proof 6-cylinder engine in recent model years is Toyota's.
I'm no engineer nor do I have any real knowledge of motors, but back in the day, you couldn't wear out a straight 6. Back when 100K miles was good, a straight 6 would go 200+ without missing a beat.

Of course, this is the 70s I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure Ford made a straight 6 for their trucks into the 80s at least, and those were high mileage champs as well.

Consumer Reports doesn't like them either. FWIW, their annual owner satisfaction survey results. Interesting to see Lincoln in 2nd place and Lexus in 19th place.

View attachment 8993509View attachment 8993510

We had a Lincoln SUV and then a different car and just went back to the Lincoln Corsair and love it. Quietest car I have ever been in from road noise and its not close. Service is great. They treat you wonderfully and the deal we got was impressive compared to so many other luxury cars.

I'm no engineer nor do I have any real knowledge of motors, but back in the day, you couldn't wear out a straight 6. Back when 100K miles was good, a straight 6 would go 200+ without missing a beat.

Of course, this is the 70s I'm talking about, but I'm pretty sure Ford made a straight 6 for their trucks into the 80s at least, and those were high mileage champs as well.

I've had several BMW 3 Series straight 6 engines. The leather in the car will wear out, the coolant system may blow, but the engine keeps on going. They finally fixed the coolant issues - have a 2009 3 Series with almost 100k. The previous one - traded in at 240k and the engine was still great.

We test drove a Kia Seltos last night. Great little grocery getter and tons of safety on it Model S, LX less expensive version is bare bones....
My wife has the LX and if it came with fog lights and heated seats, I'd be looking at that one myself. I'll probably end up with the S because of those features and hopefully be able to turn off most of the safety stuff.

Nissan Kicks
Hyundai Kona
Hyundai Tucson
Toyota C-HR
Mazda CX3

Had a Tucson as a rental a couple of years ago. Awful, awful, AWFUL car. It was so underpowered, it bordered on dangerous. The worst car in the world will always be the PT Cruiser in my eyes, but the Tucson is a very close second. No experience on the others, but we have the CX3’s big brother, the CX9. I don’t like SUVs, but the Mazda isn’t too bad. I would imagine the smaller CX3 would be a little more fun than the bigger CX3.

The 4.9L inline six was standard fare all they way up through the 96 model year, IIRC. Still wish I had mine and always have an eye out for one in good shape.

Had a Tucson as a rental a couple of years ago. Awful, awful, AWFUL car. It was so underpowered, it bordered on dangerous. The worst car in the world will always be the PT Cruiser in my eyes, but the Tucson is a very close second. No experience on the others, but we have the CX3’s big brother, the CX9. I don’t like SUVs, but the Mazda isn’t too bad. I would imagine the smaller CX3 would be a little more fun than the bigger CX3.
How about the Aztek?

I am in ponder mode for my next vehicle. About to come out of lease of my current Audi S4 which has been an absolutely fantastic and fun vehicle to drive. Leaning towards a bit bigger vehicle with another Audi, SQ5 has me very interested. Or going away from Germans altogether and possibly into a Toyota 4Runner. Wanting some additional space to lug all of my bowling balls around and also to be able to fit golf clubs in back vs. in the back seat like I have to do now with the S4.

4Runner I know would hold it's value WAY better than Audi, so it wins on that end. Only thing I don't like is the gas mileage, which is not a complete deal breaker, but something I always like to keep in mind.

One thing that I really love about Audi is Quattro. The S4 absolutely shined last week when we had ice and snow from our arctic storms. That thing did not slide one bit or even come close to losing traction on anything I drove over.

Doing some car shopping since my lease ends mid May.
I think I got down to 3 model

1. Prius. Used at 15-17K or Lease one $300-320.
2. Honda 2017 Civic Used at 12-14K
3. Lexus ES350. Found 2018 with 25k miles at $23K.

My brain tells me go with Honda
I’ll be turning 60 in few years and I’m not sure I’ll be comfortable driving civic.
I’ll be ok driving Prius after 60 onward.
Civic and Prius would be perfect for work.
Lexus not sure cause sometime I’ll be driving through small curvy roads and sometimes have to park in rough neighborhood.
Most my friends can’t see me driving civic or prius. They know I’ll be changing cars before finishing the payment. I really want to try keep the car more than 5 years. Hate shopping for car. It’s as almost bad as going to dentist.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Doing some car shopping since my lease ends mid May.
I think I got down to 3 model

1. Prius. Used at 15-17K or Lease one $300-320.
2. Honda 2017 Civic Used at 12-14K
3. Lexus ES350. Found 2017 with 25k miles at $23K.

My brain tells me go with Honda
I’ll be turning 60 in few years and I’m not sure I’ll be comfortable driving civic.
I’ll be ok driving Prius after 60 onward.
Civic and Prius would be perfect for work.
Lexus not sure cause sometime I’ll be driving through small curvy roads and sometimes have to park in rough neighborhood.
Most my friends can’t see me driving civic or prius. They know I’ll be changing cars before finishing the payment. I really want to try keep the car more than 5 years. Hate shopping for car. It’s as almost bad as going to dentist.

Get the Lexus. Its reliable and that's really low miles for that age. Plus negotiate for an even better deal

Get the Lexus. Its reliable and that's really low miles for that age. Plus negotiate for an even better deal

I like that car too. I found out it’s 2018 model. White with tan interior.
Not sure how I’m going to use for work. Might be too luxurious for work.

Apparently my wife is down to either a 2020 Escape Titanium or a 2019/2020 Rogue SL. She's ruled the CRV and Rav4.

About a month ago I traded in my ‘10 Sierra on a ‘21 Cherokee Latitude Lux. I’ve never had a new vehicle before, always bought used. But I just turned 40, started a new career, and can easily afford it so what the hell.

Back