The Car Shopping Thread

Very sorry. I post that info once in a while here

With Tesla having just replaced the battery under warranty, I decided to keep it for at least another year or two and some upgrades were in order. I had the windows tinted, got new 20" wheels, and had the front grill covered in a faux carbon fiber paint protection film. That black plastic grill oval was pretty beat up after 114,000 miles so I'm really pleased with how much better it looks for the small $170 charge for the PPF.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.32.45 PM.pngScreen Shot 2021-04-20 at 3.01.53 PM.png

Last edited:
Anybody drive a Caddy XT6? Getting ready to offload an ‘07 Tahoe with nearly 300k miles on it and the XT6 has my wifes interest... it‘ll be her car, mainly.... She was in a head-on years ago and getting her to consider something anything smaller is not going to happen and i’m fine with that... she’s also a GM homer so, there’s that. While another Tahoe is also in the discussion, I’d prefer not to be driving essentially the same make/model for 20+ years.

Anyone else in the market for a more exotic or unique new or used car and finding the prices are super-inflated? For example, the asking prices for used Porsche 911's with lower miles are higher than paying MSRP for a new 911. One woman is advertising her used 2021 Turbo S on Ebay for $300k FIRM because she's getting tons of dealer inquiries to buy her car. The MSRP for that car (assuming she paid MSRP) is around $250k. At that point, someone can buy a very low mile Ferrari Portofino for less than that.

Then there's the GT500's and Vette's which are still well over $100k, up to $130k vs. $90k MSRPs. I understand the Vette pricing to an extent, but the upgraded models (Z06/ZR1) will be faster which will result in the current Z51 package becoming an "OK" Vette. Or, will the Z06 be $150k and the ZR1 be $200K? I guess that's possible. As for the GT500, I also understand that car's pricing, but the GT500 simply cannot get traction out of the hole. My buddy has one and he lost a stoplight drag race to a new Mach 1 which is half the price because the Mach 1 can actually get power to the pavement vs massive tire spinning. Imagine spending $130k and being beaten by "little brother"? Lol.

Anyone else in the market for a more exotic or unique new or used car and finding the prices are super-inflated? For example, the asking prices for used Porsche 911's with lower miles are higher than paying MSRP for a new 911. One woman is advertising her used 2021 Turbo S on Ebay for $300k FIRM because she's getting tons of dealer inquiries to buy her car. The MSRP for that car (assuming she paid MSRP) is around $250k. At that point, someone can buy a very low mile Ferrari Portofino for less than that.

Then there's the GT500's and Vette's which are still well over $100k, up to $130k vs. $90k MSRPs. I understand the Vette pricing to an extent, but the upgraded models (Z06/ZR1) will be faster which will result in the current Z51 package becoming an "OK" Vette. Or, will the Z06 be $150k and the ZR1 be $200K? I guess that's possible. As for the GT500, I also understand that car's pricing, but the GT500 simply cannot get traction out of the hole. My buddy has one and he lost a stoplight drag race to a new Mach 1 which is half the price because the Mach 1 can actually get power to the pavement vs massive tire spinning. Imagine spending $130k and being beaten by "little brother"? Lol.
This is not the car market I live in :LOL: but a buddy of mine said he was getting offers on his 19 or 20 Ford Raptor that were as high as he bought it for brand new.

Are new ones available without a wait?

There has always been a gray market with low production cars going above MSRP but the 911 never really seemed to fall into it.

A quick checked showed a decent number of lightly used Turbo S's in the $280k-$300k range but not really any new ones.

Vehicle pricing is insane right now. Managing the finance department at a financial institution I work with our quite a bit. Right now we have auctions wanting to pay us to sell our repo's because the dealers are buying everything they can and the auctions can't get cars in fast enough. So until this whole chip supply issue is figured out, may want to wait on purchasing a car. We have seen at auctions cars going more than high bluebook.

That all being said, the new Bronco and a Model 3 are looking real nice to me right now.

Are new ones available without a wait?

There has always been a gray market with low production cars going above MSRP but the 911 never really seemed to fall into it.

A quick checked showed a decent number of lightly used Turbo S's in the $280k-$300k range but not really any new ones.
Now go on Porsche's website and price out a new Turbo S. it's nowhere close to $280-$300k. I priced one with sport exhaust, top-level sound system, upgraded seats, front axle lift system, and other upgrades and the MSRP is $230k. Amazingly enough, Porsche dealer out here in SOCAL will sell at MSRP despite the whacko market.

For folks out there who may be looking to sell to Carvana....I got a higher offer from Kelly Blue Book. I suggest pinging them before making a decision.

For folks out there who may be looking to sell to Carvana....I got a higher offer from Kelly Blue Book. I suggest pinging them before making a decision.
I just looked for giggles and same thing for me. KBB offered $6K more and could get all the cash I put into it back out again. Both were too low for me to even think about it on my 19 RAM. Basically a Limited outfitted truck but with the Laramie badging. Just doesn't have all the chrome or Air ride (which I didn't want) or 360 Cameras. Good thing I still enjoy it...haha.

Last edited:
The problem is I can sell my car for more than I owe, then turn around and pay equivalently more for a new car given the shortages.

The problem is I can sell my car for more than I owe, then turn around and pay equivalently more for a new car given the shortages.

I have no doubt that the prices and waiting times for certain cars makes this the biggest automotive price bubble we’ve ever seen. I can wait out the bubble. :)

My concern is if I cannot wait out the bubble. My kia has 133k mi and after doing tires and brakes+rotors this past year, I really wanted to avoid putting more money into it. I guess I should just do the radiator flush and change for a couple hundred in case, but if supply isn't adequate by the time I'll be looking in January, I don't want to get 'forced into needing a new car and overpaying.

I priced a new Ford F-150....>60K!!!😳😳😳

I priced a new Ford F-150....>60K!!!😳😳😳
I'm not a truck guy by any means, but just the other day I was window shopping a couple of different trucks, as I thought about leaving one in Michigan for when there's some work to be done. I could not believe the prices! $99k for a Dodge Ram!???

I did that this morning and apparently I have to go to a dealer to get the price...and now I have a bunch of dealers texting, ringing and emailing me. I won't make that mistake again.

Talked to my uncle who is a GM at a local Ford, and he basically said it's a terrible time for me to buy a car. Yeah I can sell mine a little higher, but because of low inventory and high demand manufacturers and dealerships have no incentives or deals, no need to cut deals, like the housing market people are getting into bidding wars on vehicles.

So I should circle back at a later point to get the hook up, the 0% financing, etc ughh and they have a gorgeous truck coming in
Screenshot_20210526-164242_Chrome.jpg

My son wanted something bigger than his 2016 MDX because he's now towing a boat. He found a 2020 Expedition Limited with 3,000 miles at a dealer three hours away. He watched the car for three months until the price dropped and got a premium for his trade, so he was happy with his deal.

Last edited:
Talked to my uncle who is a GM at a local Ford, and he basically said it's a terrible time for me to buy a car. Yeah I can sell mine a little higher, but because of low inventory and high demand manufacturers and dealerships have no incentives or deals, no need to cut deals, like the housing market people are getting into bidding wars on vehicles.

So I should circle back at a later point to get the hook up, the 0% financing, etc ughh and they have a gorgeous truck coming in
View attachment 9009585

This is where I am too. My F150 is ready to be refreshed, and am trying to parse through taking one from available stock vs. ordering the config I actually would prefer and how long that would take, what it will end op costing. Ugh. Low miles still under 70k on it but the fender rust has set in.

This is where I am too. My F150 is ready to be refreshed, and am trying to parse through taking one from available stock vs. ordering the config I actually would prefer and how long that would take, what it will end op costing. Ugh. Low miles still under 70k on it but the fender rust has set in.
Getting decent trade on yours would be the east part, even selling to carvana ascso many are doing, but it's the not overpaying/maximizing perks that can be the issue for some, especially with certain access.

For me, it would be "needing" the alignment of all the stars like a good price at just above invoice, and the 0% interest like they did last year. Right now there's no need for them to do that.. eh well, guess I should pay for that radiator flush I've been holding off on lol

The microchip shortage is real and caused used vehicles to insane levels. Vehicles 3 and 4 years old bringing more than they were new. There’s hardly any new vehicles and even buying used through leasing companies and auction has destroyed the industry. It will get better but I think it will be a year or longer. We usually have 160 or so F150’s and are to single digits. We usually have 400+ vehicles and have less than 30 new with 30 plus sales people and their families to feed. We had the best March in 15 years followed by the best April in 17 and a great start to June but it’s crashed. I have orders as far back as October that haven’t been scheduled to be built. I have trucks that were built a month ago and are sitting waiting for a microchip and they have an ETA of 10/31.

Retail orders on F150’s aren’t too bad as they have taken priority with the microchips being reserved for them. It’s an all new model and Ford’s bread and butter so they want to pump out as many as they can. I placed an order last week and had a schedule date the same day which rarely happens. It’s scheduled to be built mid June and has already been pulled by the factory. I expect a delay but I’m not sure why this 1 is moving so quick. I still tell customers 4-6 month lead time because I’d rather undersell and over deliver. A new high end XLT 302A package is in the mid 40’s-$50Kish depending one what engine and technology you want.

I ended up buying a new 2020 Dodge Grand Caravan GT about a month ago. I've been waiting 20 years to buy a van. Everyone thinks I am crazy, but have wanted one for ages.

Having our previous cars be a smaller hatchback (Elantra Touring), and a small SUV (Honda HRV), we just needed more space for stuff. Playpen, strollers, bags of clothes..... it just is ridiculous the amount of stuff we need to haul around if going places.

The best part? Room for golf clubs when we go on vacation now. No more trying to stuff them in at the last moment.
20210424_162725.jpg
20210427_165749.jpg

Back